Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spain says driving with VW T5 bike rack folded is illegal

As these are factory fitted, it’s surprising that VW have not issued a notice if it’s actually failing tests in Spain. Maybe they’ve done so only in Spain.
I specifically asked about that. Turns out that the bike rack is not factory fitted, it's a dealer installed option, does not figure in the homologation documents of the van, and is governed by rules applying to the use of removable accessories, which must not affect the function of homologated equipment (lights, etc.) while in use.

VW Spain has issued a communication to official dealers to warn clients to avoid ITV inspection centers that are failing vehicles for the bike rack, but according to the local van forum this is a new national rule issued by the transit authority, and the cancer is spreading to all inspection centers and traffic police.

Last edited:
I specifically asked about that. Turns out that the bike rack is not factory fitted, it's a dealer installed option, does not figure in the homologation documents of the van, and is governed by rules applying to the use of removable accessories, which must not affect the function of homologated equipment (lights, etc.) while in use.

VW Spain has issued a communication to official dealers to warn clients to avoid ITV inspection centers that are failing vehicles for the bike rack, but according to the local van forum this is a new national rule issued by the transit authority, and the cancer is spreading to all inspection centers and traffic police.
So does this mean that the VW bike rack is illegal full stop. OR it’s legal if you have bikes on the rack making it impossible for this illusive helo to read your numberplate.?. But can see the high line brake light.
Sounds like someone has got it in for the manufacturer of VW bike racks.

So does this mean that the VW bike rack is illegal full stop. OR it’s legal if you have bikes on the rack making it impossible for this illusive helo to read your numberplate.?. But can see the high line brake light.
Go for a towbar rack. Can see the brake light, you get a new number plate so no issue. Get the right rack and it allows access to tail gate, no lifting of heavy bikes up high, take it off when not required and save weight. Job done! Must admit that I think the VW tailgate mounted rack is hideous.

Go for a towbar rack. Can see the brake light, you get a new number plate so no issue. Get the right rack and it allows access to tail gate, no lifting of heavy bikes up high, take it off when not required and save weight. Job done! Must admit that I think the VW tailgate mounted rack is hideous.
Or you could avoid Spain. Take your tourist cash somewhere else.

I was told by the ITV inspector who wouldn't pass my van until I took the rack off that it is legal while carrying bikes but not while folded. The Spanish forum has a post by someone who went to the inspection appointment with a bike and warning card on the rack, but they made him take the rack off anyway. I didn't say it made any sense.

Just back from a few weeks in Italy with two bikes on a Fiamma rack but no striped board. I had one years ago but realised that not everyone used them there, and I’m sure I read on this forum a while back that they are not a legal requirement in Italy? Need to check accuracy of this - don’t know about Spain?
Yes, legal requirement in Italy for the 5 striped board and it has to be metal not one of the plastic types. Also has to be fitted to the rack when folded up.

Yes, legal requirement in Italy for the 5 striped board and it has to be metal not one of the plastic types. Also has to be fitted to the rack when folded up.

I was wondering if fitting the 3 stripe warning board to the folded up rack would satisfy the Spanish inspectors even if the high level brake light cannot be seen from all angles.

Driving with the rack lowered and no bikes, aside from the absurdity and inconvenience, brings up questions of how to anchor the unfolded part so it doesn't fly around over bumps, and where to anchor the warning board.
Get a rusty old bike from the scrapyard, leave it permanently on the rack? just thinking outside the box

But I agree, it's nonsense. However, from experience, they'll enforce it for a while, then forget about it. The thing in Spain is that everything is full of rules and prohibitions, and everyone breaks/ignores them. It's a national sport.

Is this only an issue with the “old” style Kylie bike rack, or also for the newer version quasimodo?

Would be good to know if the different designs matter.

Next time I’m up in my helicopter I’ll check if the brake light is visible. Bonkers rule.

I wonder what they would think of my rack box, is it legal if I have stuff in box but not of empty36921494-745E-443B-9030-0F694973768F.png

Back