Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone else have this problem with their IPod interface?

B

BillBicker

Hello,

I have an ongoing problem with my iPod interface and I am now raising this as a formal complaint to VW as the dealer can't fix it. Rather than explain I have pasted an extract from my complaint letter below.

Does anyone else have this problem as I feel I am being fobbed off by the dealer.

Thanks

B

I bought my new California in May 2011 from your Preston dealership. I specified a few additional options including the iPod interface which connects to the standard dashboard stereo unit via a dock connector in the glove box. This also charges the iPod and allows the stereo unit to browse the iPod, select tracks etc. I have the same stereo unit and iPod interface on my company car which is a 2011 VW Golf Estate and I am very pleased with it. As far as I can see they are identical systems.

Shortly after delivery of my California I noticed a problem with the iPod interface. Certain frequencies are not transmitted from the right hand side speakers. E.g. Bass frequencies and most voice frequencies. So for example when listening to a Podcast, speech can only be heard on the left hand speakers. Sometimes only clipped treble frequencies can be heard from the right hand side which sounds like interference and white noise. The radio, CD player and Aux In interface for the iPod do not have this problem with all frequencies heard on both speaker sides. A stated I have the same system in my Golf and do not have this problem. I have tried this with at least 4 different iPod units all with the same issue.

As Preston is a long way from where I live I have been taking my California to the dealership in Cardiff (Sinclairs). They have tried on 4 occasions now to repair the fault. I believe they have changed the head unit, iPod interface and right hand speakers. The problem has not been repaired. They have now told me that this is how the iPod interface is supposed to work and have told me they have tested it on other vehicles. However I am not convinced that this is accurate and cannot accept that this is not a fault as the sound quality is so bad making certain tracks and Podcasts unlistenable.

Can you please advise on what I can do about this and I am now fed up of taking the Van on a 60 mile round trip to Cardiff on at least 4 occasions when the problem is not solved and am now being told that there is nothing that can be done.

If this is a known fault with the system then I would like a refund for the additional money I paid for this iPod interface as it does not provide the functionality as advertised at the point of sale.

No magic wand I am afraid, but you have my sympathies over this issue as I have had problems like this in the past with other cars

Fingers crossed that the forums help you out

My one suggestion would be the software coding of your head unit. Nowadays they need all sorts of fancy software when you add things to the original car - qnd that includes minor things like ipods

Good luck

We have this too but it is only apparent when trying to play back ripping music from illegal websites, everything else comes out of oth front and back speakers.

New DSG 180 also bought from Cardiff who sold me a new van with a fused water pump hat wasn't correctly attached so when I took it to an alternative dealership, and hey fixed the fuse, the pump then pumped water all over the van.... Ie Cardiff had not checked the vehicle properly before letting me pick it up.

Haven't heard of this problem before, and there aren't any technical updates from VW about it. The head units in T5's and the T5 GP don't need coding if other media interfaces are added.

Please let us know how if it is rectified.

Thanks

Many thanks for the replies.

The good news is that it was rectified last week by the South Hereford VW dealer.

It was (as I suspected) an error in the wiring where the iPod connects to the head unit. They plugged it in properly and all is good.

I must say that compared to Sinclairs in Cardiff, Hereford were brilliant. They took a real interest, great experience booking it in. When I got there they have a great waiting area but they actually gaveme a lift into the town centre with a half hourly shuttle service to return. I came back a coupl
e of hours later it was fixed and they had washed the van very well.

Can't find any fault, Darren was the contact. I will be using them from now on for Servicing etc.

They just seemed to understand that I have bought a £40k plus vehicle and have a right to expect it to work as advertised. Great custome care.

B