Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone else not left the UK yet? (And fab news for September)

There’s plenty of places in Northern France, Belgium and Holland, all which aren’t to far to drive. Within 6 hrs of our house in Warwickshire, which is the same as getting to Cornwall with half term traffic.
Last week, we did 4 days around Cadzand and then onto Brugge.

I got to Holland faster than my buddy got to Cornwall :Stig

View attachment 93988
View attachment 93987
View attachment 93989
View attachment 93990
View attachment 93992
View attachment 93994

View attachment 93986

View attachment 93991

View attachment 93993
Can I ask what storage boxes do you use on your rear pull out tray please?

Finally going aboard again for the first weekend in July (a twice delayed trip). One of my favourites - the 24 hours classic at Le Mans. A race with a free classic car show thrown in for free. Let's hope the weather was like 2018!

We too got our van 2019 and the UK has so far been our ‘travelling ground’ and being in the fortunate position of retired we can choose when and for how long. We planned Euro rips too , in particular France where many a year we have enjoyed cycling holidays. However our main bugbear is Brexit and the additional complications of travelling with a dog.
So far the UK has been braw, mostly our home nation of Scotland with a few wee forays into England. The changeable weather is partly what memories are made of… putting up and taking down awnings in torrential rain, deciding the downstairs bed is more appropriate in 60 mph gusts… at 2 am ! All part of the ‘great adventure’ we have embraced and hope to continue further afield…. our dog loves it too, only one door that opens onto the great outdoors.

Bought our Ocean in September 2019 and went straight to southern Italy for a month, then it rained for the rest of that year, had a couple of weekends away and a week in Cornwall after first lockdown which we hated due to the crowds and this was before the kids finished for summer so we decided to sell as we couldn't use the Cali as we had hoped. Still miss my Cali but moved onto a larger van with fixed double bed and shower room. Hope you get to Europe soon Cheers K.

We too got our van 2019 and the UK has so far been our ‘travelling ground’ and being in the fortunate position of retired we can choose when and for how long. We planned Euro rips too , in particular France where many a year we have enjoyed cycling holidays. However our main bugbear is Brexit and the additional complications of travelling with a dog.
So far the UK has been braw, mostly our home nation of Scotland with a few wee forays into England. The changeable weather is partly what memories are made of… putting up and taking down awnings in torrential rain, deciding the downstairs bed is more appropriate in 60 mph gusts… at 2 am ! All part of the ‘great adventure’ we have embraced and hope to continue further afield…. our dog loves it too, only one door that opens onto the great outdoors.
This made me smile. And also get a bit emotional. Good luck to you and enjoy those adventures as much as we hope to!

Bought our Ocean in September 2019 and went straight to southern Italy for a month, then it rained for the rest of that year, had a couple of weekends away and a week in Cornwall after first lockdown which we hated due to the crowds and this was before the kids finished for summer so we decided to sell as we couldn't use the Cali as we had hoped. Still miss my Cali but moved onto a larger van with fixed double bed and shower room. Hope you get to Europe soon Cheers K.
Sounds like you got sorted in the end! We might do the same one day.

We got our glorious VW Cali Ocean T6 in September 2019 and the intention was to try out the UK first and then do an epic Europe trip the following May. Arghhhh. The pandemic changed all that. And nearly three years later and we’ve still not left the UK.

We work for ourselves and our businesses got super busy so escaping for anything more than a long weekend has been impossible. Sometimes I’d visit this forum and see so many of you getting over to France or Spain and I was gutted we couldn’t do the same.

But we actually pay off the van this September. Wooohooo! One of the blessings of the last few years was that we were able to save so much money so that we can do that.

And the van was a lifesaver during the pandemic. As we were able to get away quite often. Just for little weekend trips here and there as it was all we could do.

This year? No Europe once again. Our businesses have grown and so we are fixed to our desks. Again, thank goodness for the van. Lots of weekend breaks are keeping us sane.

So even though we’ve not yet left the UK, we still adore our van and know that we’ll keep it for many happy years to come. Work is crazy right now but at least we can escape and get some rest. And there’s only 15,000 miles on the van. It’s our main and only vehicle (we live in a city). Plus the utter joy we feel when we make it to the Lakes or Wales or Devon and roll around in the great outdoors We love the van so much.

Maybe we’ll do an October trip. Maybe. Fingers crossed. We just know that even though it’s been a real slog, we feel incredibly lucky to be part of this club and are looking forward to enjoying our first BBQ in a French campsite, sat under a shady tree and enjoying a glass of red.

Anyone else in the same boat? Or are we the only ridiculous idiots who have been chained to their desks and unable to get fully away?
No one makes you work.

Update: F**k it! We're booking a trip to Europe for the end of June. Sod it. We'll make it happen. Now we've just got to figure out roughly where and for how long. Realistically, a week. Possibly two. Laptops packed. Co-working spaces located. You've made me realise it's got to be done.
Brilliant, as they say, you only live once! In five years you will have memories of the holiday and forgotten what you were doing at work.
We are leaving on 15th and returning on 26th July and hoping to get to Paxos via France & Italy. It’s all booked and we can’t wait!
We both retired in our 40’s and now in our 60’s and have loved travelling and cycling. The VW Ocean was second hand and we have had it a year but we have used it so much, every time we drive it, it feels like a holiday!

Work is a necessary mechanism to provide you with the tools to allow you to do what you really want to do.

Just crossed over to Normandy, first trip. Great weather, food good, beaches empty. First day of a three week trip. So far so good (excellent)

Happy times! Sounds like heaven. Looking forward to seeing some new pastures.

We got our glorious VW Cali Ocean T6 in September 2019 and the intention was to try out the UK first and then do an epic Europe trip the following May. Arghhhh. The pandemic changed all that. And nearly three years later and we’ve still not left the UK.

We work for ourselves and our businesses got super busy so escaping for anything more than a long weekend has been impossible. Sometimes I’d visit this forum and see so many of you getting over to France or Spain and I was gutted we couldn’t do the same.

But we actually pay off the van this September. Wooohooo! One of the blessings of the last few years was that we were able to save so much money so that we can do that.

And the van was a lifesaver during the pandemic. As we were able to get away quite often. Just for little weekend trips here and there as it was all we could do.

This year? No Europe once again. Our businesses have grown and so we are fixed to our desks. Again, thank goodness for the van. Lots of weekend breaks are keeping us sane.

So even though we’ve not yet left the UK, we still adore our van and know that we’ll keep it for many happy years to come. Work is crazy right now but at least we can escape and get some rest. And there’s only 15,000 miles on the van. It’s our main and only vehicle (we live in a city). Plus the utter joy we feel when we make it to the Lakes or Wales or Devon and roll around in the great outdoors We love the van so much.

Maybe we’ll do an October trip. Maybe. Fingers crossed. We just know that even though it’s been a real slog, we feel incredibly lucky to be part of this club and are looking forward to enjoying our first BBQ in a French campsite, sat under a shady tree and enjoying a glass of red.

Anyone else in the same boat? Or are we the only ridiculous idiots who have been chained to their desks and unable to get fully away?
Sounds brilliant. Great to hear your business is growing as well :)

Happy times! Sounds like heaven. Looking forward to seeing some new pastures.
Do you know where you're going to go? France is fantastic for camping in a California. We also love going through the tunnel. We still go to loads of sites from Cool Camping France.

Do you know where you're going to go? France is fantastic for camping in a California. We also love going through the tunnel. We still go to loads of sites from Cool Camping France.
I adore France! The plan is the Netherlands end of this month but now we’re thinking France in august. For this very reason. Do you know, I just can’t wait! I do hope we can make it happen! What’s your favourite spot over there??

I adore France! The plan is the Netherlands end of this month but now we’re thinking France in august. For this very reason. Do you know, I just can’t wait! I do hope we can make it happen! What’s your favourite spot over there??
We usually end any trip at Le Brevedent in Normandy. We have a favourite pitch near the house where you can hear the owner’s band playing in the bar. Been there dozens of times. We’ve been to Au Bois Joli in Burgundy a few times. Beautiful setting, long flat bike rides along a canal, trips to Auxerre and Vézalay. Camped at Huttopia on Ile Noirmoutier. Flat for biking, quite spit and sawdust that site though. This year we are ferrying to Santander then driving back over 16 days via Ile de Rey. 5 sites all booked. A bit more 4* and 5*.

We bought the Cali when my wife was pregnant and Olive is 12 now with a brother, so all our sites are planned around a nice pool and somewhere peaceful to sit and slowly eat breakfast. We take a big toy bag and something new for the kids. They’re also allowed a magazine each when we stop at the tunnel!

It always rains in Brittany!

Got the van in aug 2016. Went on smaller trips on weekends. Come summer missus figured two weeks on holiday in southern France was too much. Rented a house with friends for a week on the riviera. Visited the alps on the way down, slept in fantastic spots. After a week in the rented house where our part was 2000€ we decided going van full time on next longer trips. Went 2018 and 2019 to Italy, fantastic. Have been touring Sweden for 2020 and 2021 and have planned to do so this summer as well. However Italy changing its mind on restrictions means we are going. Lake Iseo, Dolomites and Cinque Terre are in the two week plan. We are going in 15th july.
Last two years have educated us there is nothing a country cant do for its ideas so you better go when you can.

Back