Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaving the Cali for 6 months!!

cayman57

cayman57

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Hi everyone
Well after 7 months searching and a visit to Scotland last week we finally purchased our Cali. Unfortunately however we are leaving UK for a 6 month trip to the USA on the 4th September and the Cali will be left at home. I have been advised to connect a smart charger to keep the battery topped up but apart from that is there any other advice that anyone could give me. Keeping fingers crossed that it will be stored in a friends barn but if that fails it will be left outside. I appreciate any suggestions.
Many thanx Simon

You don't need a smart charger - just plug it into the electric hookup and let it sort itself out!

I would suggest to jack it up. The tyres might not enjoy being left in the same position for 6 months.

If you are going to SORN it have a check of your insurance to make sure all is well.

I'm sure you know not to leave the handbrake on.

I'd be more than happy to look after it for you for 6 months!

Rent it out!

If you do leave it inside or out, I suggest a cover of some sort. Even when left inside a barn, loads of birds and insects will make a mess of the paint.

When you get back to it, clean all the rubber seals (such as in the roof) of any mould.

Hope the trip to the States goes well!

We'd be more than happy to rent it, look after it, polish it! Take it to the odd trip to Devon to keep it moving :)

Well we have just been away and left our beloved Cali in the Garage for 3 Months.

Before we left I
Cleaned and polished inside and out and left everything dry.
Emptied all food items and made sure fridge was spotless. We left the cupboards, fridge and cooktop open.
Left the handbrake off.
Turned off the Gas at the bottle.
Drained Fresh water tank. Drained waste tank, then put some fresh water and a bit of detergent down the sink and went for a drive to swish around the waste tank and drained again.
Cali was on plain hookup permanently for the 3 months. Batteries were all 100% on return.
We were going to put one of those damp absorbers inside but forgot. Fortunately our garage is quite dry and did not get any temps below freezing.

For security we made sure keys were nowhere to be found and installed extra security measures to make sure it would be a nightmare to steal.

Yesterday took the Cali for a good run, filled the water tank, popped the roof, ran the parking heater and had a picnic.
All seems well, the biggest decision was whether to leave on hookup or not. So for any wondering what to do I would say the Cali should be fine just left up to its own devices without any additional electronics.

Roll on summer for some more Cali fun and outings.

Left ours in a garage in France for 3 months with hookup connected on advice given by other members on this forum. No problems at all. Batteries were in great condition and cali stated first time.
Left moisture absorbers inside but not needed in that climate and in garage but possibly sensible option in damper / colder climes and if left outside.
Cali left in Park ( ours in Tiptronic) but handbrake left off to stop calipers 'locking up' in ON position.

Back