Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone had problems with having a fitted fold out awning?

Martin Waring

Martin Waring

Vehicle
Looking to buy
I am very keen to buy a T6 California Ocean and I'm trying to decide what 'extras' to get when I place my order.

One option is what VW call a fold-out awning which fits onto a rail on the roof. Having had experience on my current T2 of rusty guttering caused by water collecting in the gutters that support the pop up roof I'm a bit wary of anything that might trap water inside that could cause a potential problem.

Has anyone had any bad experiences using this type of awning, either rust or other issues please?

I can only speak about the T5, but the rail is very different from that of the older vans that fit onto a gutter rail.

This is the best pic I could find via google:

awning_insert-372x402.jpg

The roof on these vans is also aluminium so won't rust like the older vans can.

Sounds good. I hadn't appreciated that the roof itself is aluminium.

Yes only the poptop part is aluminium I should add, however the rail I understand is bonded on and below the gutter line too. No drilling or holes required.

Is the (VW fitted) awning housing something that can be removed when its not going to be used or is it a permanent fixture.

Is the (VW fitted) awning housing something that can be removed when its not going to be used or is it a permanent fixture.
It can be removed, 2 person job, but most people don't bother.

I can only speak about the T5, but the rail is very different from that of the older vans that fit onto a gutter rail.

This is the best pic I could find via google:

awning_insert-372x402.jpg

The roof on these vans is also aluminium so won't rust like the older vans can.

The aluminium roofs are still corroding but due to other causes!

Only on older vans though and its paint corrosion due to the original manufacturing technique?