Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone replaced the bendy light?

K

keacal2705

Hi all,

Another long shot post but worth asking. Has anyone replaced the bendy light and if so, do they still have it?

My light is not working properly as apparently the contacts are worn. If I press it I can get it to work but as soon as I let go it loses contact. The main option is to replace the light at a cost of round 44 quid but I was thinking if someone had a broken one, maybe I could buy/have the back twist on piece?

Thanks

Nice job Martin that looks a much better idea :thumb

Hi,
Yes found it on the web earlier but I have sourced a second hand one now. My hope is that the end cap on the second hand can just replace my end cap on the broken one. I think it is the connectors on the end cap that are worn. Shall find out soon. :thumb

If you do want to replace it with a bendy light that is of an excellent quality go to a Scania dealers and buy one of their internal bendy lights. Great quality and built to last.

Just a thought. We've just had ours replaced under warrenty. They've fitted it the wrong way round - facing forward rather than backwards. I was going to ask for it to be changed but we've realised that this way round places far less pressure on the join betweeen the flexible arm and the flimsy plastic bracket - where it broke in the first place - the first time we used it!! The downside is that it can't be stowed in the strap on the mattress when the roof is down but we simply bend the arm into a gentle, non arm stressing, curve and stow the head of the light back against the mattress so that it doesn't rattle around - the folded up bellows keeps it in place. I think its going to live longer this way round!

I don't understand what difference it makes what way round it's fitted seeing as the head turns around 360 degrees anyway. Or do the new ones not do that anymore?

Sorry - not explained the issue very well.
We think our arm snapped off because the angle it needs to be bent to in order to stow it in the matress strap is so acute it puts the joint between the arm and the bracket under stress - to the point that it snapped off! With the bracket fixed facing forward (by the Dealer) there seems to be more space for the arm to be bent in a gentler arc in the roof down position - putting less stress on the joint. When looking at demonstrators we saw another van where the arm was on its last legs and I think I've read other members coments about problems. Just an observation if you've had a similar experience as us.

We think our arm snapped off because the angle it needs to be bent to in order to stow it in the matress strap

Never stow mine there anyway. Always just lay it on top of the mattress. Common sense says don't bend it tightly !

Thanks for that - I guess I thought common sense was to use the strap provided - at least once!!

I think the strap maybe something to do with the kiddy net ??

Read page 7 of the manual!!

I was just trying to offer what I intended to be helpful feedback - end of correspondence on this topic I think!!

Hi
first time on this forum. My light actually snapped because classic mistake strapped it to the mattress and then the mattress was pushed up by my daughter and the arm snapped by the joint. Probably from stress of being bent too much anyway.
Does anyone know the easiest/ most convenient place to buy one of these online and is it easy to fit myself? I've looked for one online and can't seem to find one anywhere. The nearest VW van centre to me is a long way and not convenient to get to. (I live in SE London).
thanks!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OSRAM-FLEXIBL ... 3cc8842db8

http://www.conrad-uk.com/ce/en/product/ ... ading-lamp

Hi,

I was looking into the same and a forum member had a spare which I have bought. Before I bought that one, I managed to find it from a google search. However it seems that no matter who is quoting prices for these, they all lead back to a firm called Conrad. The first link is someone selling one on ebay but if you buy directly from conrad it is pretty much same price for a brand new one.

Good luck

Conrad is the German version of Maplin Electronics, but their stores are much bigger and better. Worth a look if you find yourself in a German City. :thumb

John

Thanks very much for the advice. I found a light from Conrad (?) ordered it and then took the old one out. However it's a nightmare trying to get the cable out and replacing the little swtich. The connector came out but the rest of it got stuck inside! Very fiddly.
Managed to get the wire with a coathanger, but can't get the actual female part of the connector out from inside. Anyway by trying to pull the cable out - managed to fuse the interior lights, very stupidly. :headwall
2 questions - does anyone know whether the cable connects to anything else in there or can I just cut where the female connector is stuck in?
secondly - how the hell do i replace the fuse - it's very confusing there under the passenger seat and not at all sure which one would be the fuse for the interior lights!? and what amps is that fuse?

Sorry it's all turned into a bit of a nightmare!
thanks!

Fuse - I think they vary a lot in layout. Ours was nothing like the manual. The lights were a 10 amp alongside 2 5 amp fuses in a middle bank of fuses to the nearside of a relay marked 643. There are only 2 10 amp fuses on ours - so I guess just check them both. In the fuse box under the centre cup holder is a fuse extractor which makes the job a bit easier - althought still fiddly. Hope this helps.

Oh - i guess youv've spotted that its all more accessible with the passenger seat turned facing rearwards.

Phil

Thanks very much.
Actually accessed it under the seat and pulled out the fuses. .Figured out it was the two 10amp red fuses and found the right one. so all good.
Also managed to get the bendy light fixed in, using combination of tape and coat hanger to get the wire back out when it had popped back into very small hole!

Phil

Well done Phil they say the most successful people have had the most failures but never give up. That can sometimes certainly be the case when you are fixing something on a Cali. :thumb

John

Hi

After buying a replacement from conrad - good service - I repaired the old one as a spare - I drilled out the broken part of the spiral winding 9 or 10mm drill (start small and go up in small increments using a variable speed drill with the bracket in a vice) then the spiral arm can be refitted and glued. I haven't needed to refit it yet but it looks as though it is a good job even if the arm is now 30mm shorter!

Regards Ray

Back