Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

App connect, mirrorlink

Sp0_0k

Sp0_0k

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
Anybody already had experience with it?
Trying to connect the Galaxy Trend phone and it says not compatible with mirrorlink.
Do i have to install some app on phone itself?
Sad news that only google maps are supported in mirrorlink :( Waze doesn't work yet.

Anybody already had experience with it?
Trying to connect the Galaxy Trend phone and it says not compatible with mirrorlink.
Do i have to install some app on phone itself?
Sad news that only google maps are supported in mirrorlink :( Waze doesn't work yet.
Don't know about the Galaxy I'm afraid.

The apple version - CarPlay only supports Apple Maps. Frustrating. But you'd have thought Android might be better since they own Waze.

Seems requires android 5.x or higher. Damn...

s4mini no option yet. And I think this is related to Android auto not the mirrorlink.
Mirrorlink is made in phone applications themselves. Sadly Waze doesn't have a mirrorlink version yet :( though some other navigation systems already do, like Sygic.

I bought a second hand galaxy s5 so that I could upgrade to Android 6 - AppConnect worked but the GPS on the phone did not! So I had to revert to my S4 in the meantime with Android 4.4.4. A new S7 ordered now so hopefully will be up and running properly this weekend!!

I haven't been able to work out the MirrorLink though - I get the impression this is just based on mirroring a single app, and therefore you need a compatible stop running for it to work? Does that sound right @Sp0_0k?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Right. The mirrorlink is just a type of an app. Android auto or App connect are for connecting the phones.
The only probable use of it I see is googlemaps with voice commands.
Even new built in nav is pretty annoying ;) Sometimes works not bad but lots of small things are done so dumb.. :(
VW carnet is weird as well. Gave us pretty close figures on petrol prices couple of times though.

Hi all,
I managed to get Android Auto working on the T6 with NAV, that I had hired. Took a bit of tinkering but it does work. When I eventually get a California,not ordered yet!, I will also test it with Android 6 Marshmallow.

As mentioned you do need the Lollipop 5.0x as a minimum.

Note my phone is rooted and its not a "mainstream" device.
I know longer have the car so I cannot test any further.

and damn Samsung doesn't give an android 5 update for s4 galaxy mini :( greedy bastards.

We've been testing the app connect in Vs Seat (same system as Vw). I mostly like it and it's really great with Apple Music. Satnav seems very good too.

Only disappointment is how terrible Siri is with it. It simply misheard everything we tried.

It's a little less slick with Vs android phone but still works ok.

It is making me want a CarPlay system in my t5 though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only disappointment is how terrible Siri is with it. It simply misheard everything we tried.
I think that's down to the quality of the Mic and the acoustics of the vehicle. Siri works very well in my Ocean but was rubbish today in a rented Vauxhall Astra. (Although I was impressed that a hire car had CarPlay).

90fd703758ea92c3445a544972d455ca.jpg

Yes it's odd because the hands free phone is pretty good.

Excuse ignorance, but can AppConnect be retrofitted to older Cali models? I have a 2014 model. Thanks.

I called local VW van centre. They said it wasn't possible. Only specified for new vehicles and not offered as a retrofit option...........I am dubious!

Appconect will a set of APIs developed by Google and used by manufactures to "plug in" their infotainment systems. So they are software not hardware.

No I don't think it can be done. You can retrofit from 2015 in some models, depending on the head unit. (My wife had her 2015 Polo done). I don't think the T5 ever came with the "composite media system" which is needed.

I originally thought about the newsmy carpad unit, but unless you love fiddling around with slightly clunky software, I'd go for an aftermarket CarPlay unit, starting around £400 (I swapped my RNS510 for an Alpine ilx-700 which I absolutely adore). Sound is lovely, too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back