Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Connect <-> App Connect

Eber123

Eber123

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Hello,

This morning we finally got the App Connect installed and I "played" a bit with the Samsung S7 connecting it to the radio. It worked, but I believe there is still a good bit to get my head around.

Here is a list of questions I started to ask myself, so if somebody has the same / similar setup I would be happy to hear from your experience.

• Mirror Link is something that I can neglect, especially that their is no Google maps available - or haven't I found it?
  • Most of the time I listen to radio. But how can I easily "jump" reliably between radio and Android Auto?
  • In my previous car and now in the van I use "VW Connect". I believe it is a good tool to record various information. But unfortunately it seems I can't use Android Auto and VW Connect at the same time, even if Bluetooth is enabled on the phone. I was wondering if somebody got this working?
  • On Androids web page I was reading somewhere that Android Auto actually would work over Bluetooth. I tried it, but the radio requested that the phone will be connected via USB cable.
  • Google "Play Music" is strange and needs time to get use to. I was wondering if there is a different app available that is more user friendly, but works with Android Auto.
  • Google Maps is displayed on the radio screen in night mode (black). In Android Auto Google Maps developer mode I can configure 4x settings. One of the is "car-controlled". But that didn't work. So I changed it to "Day" that worked, but is always white. Does the "car-controlled" setting not work with VW radio?
I still thing it is handy to have Google maps on the radio screen guiding the way (if I get VW Connect to work that is). But for EUR 260 it is a very expensive piece of software and in my eyes not fully matured yet.

I was wondering what your experience is with App connect, how you use it (radio, maps, music) and have you managed to get it to work with VW Connect at the same time?

Regards,
Eberhard

I've actually moved to Waze for maps and it's fully supported in android auto, works a treat with much better traffic info

Certainly agree about the Google play music it's completely counter intuitive and a pain in the backside when used via android auto.
If there's an alternative music playing app that can be used I'm all ears!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Certainly agree about the Google play music it's completely counter intuitive and a pain in the backside when used via android auto.
If there's an alternative music playing app that can be used I'm all ears!

Spotify is supported but to play music offline you'll need a premium subscription.

There are introductory offers so you could try it for a month or two.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Spotify is supported but to play music offline you'll need a premium subscription.

There are introductory offers so you could try it for a month or two.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Yeah I've been thinking about it as I fitted an android auto unit to my work van a few months back which also supports Spotify.
Think I'll have to give it a whirl if there aren't any other compatible music players.

Good morning,

With Christmas I did not spend much testing with the Android Auto and the Radio.

Never the less, I created playlists in Google Play Music and added a few songs in each playlist. That worked quite well.

My train of thoughts is, that I use a playlist like a SD card or a folder. Doing so it is easier to manoeuvre from one Artist to the next and from one song to an other. It is not ideal, but not so bad as I thought at the beginning.

What I haven't tested is, if it is possible to use Android Auto connected via the USB cable and the VW Connect via Bluetooth at the same time. Maybe I have some time in the next few days.

If that works I would be quite happy with the setup.

Regards,
Eberhard

I know that when we use with iphone once you connect to Carplay the bluetooth can no longer be used for streaming. Not sure if its the same for android.

Good afternoon,

I did a small test yesterday to see if Android Auto connected through App Connect to the radio still communicating via Bluetooth to VW Connect Dongle.

• I connected my Samsung S7 with a USB cable to the van's radio
  • Chose Android Auto on the VW Radio
  • Used Google Maps to guide me home
Even Google Maps was actively used the phone was able automatically connect to the VW Connect Dongle at the same time to record my journey.

I will do more tests, but if it turns out that this is reliably working I am very pleased, I couldn't ask for more.

Regards,
Eberhard

Anyone managed to connect without the need of USB cable? Seems a little dated now

Back