Apple Air Tag

So your van is taken - it’s got an AirTag fitted. Are you then going to track and go and get it? Because the Police won’t be interested. Not sure I’d want to confront any potential thief tbh.

So your van is taken - it’s got an AirTag fitted. Are you then going to track and go and get it? Because the Police won’t be interested. Not sure I’d want to confront any potential thief tbh.
I'm not sure 'police wont be interested' is the right answer. Knowing that your van is taken, where it is, and being able to point police straight to it is a damn sight better than just reporting it and waiting in anxiety as to whether or not police ever do find it 5 weeks later etc.

On the subject of AirTags, I was reading an article recently where someone had taken their Motorhome for a service and an AirTag was discovered hidden under one of the filler flaps (can't recall which one)

But basically it was reported that high value vehicles are being targeted in this way so thieves can return to steal them. Quite scary really....

Very interesting thread. But now the daft questions: Do many Californias get stolen? Can thieves get around the immobiliser?
:talktothehand

Very interesting thread. But now the daft questions: Do many Californias get stolen? Can thieves get around the immobiliser?
:talktothehand
It’s a good question to some daft solutions.

From air tag myths to bear locks.

No and no. I did some stats work a while ago on thefts. I could find little evidence for any more than 8 or 9 being stolen PA. Likely with the key.

You cannot steal a Cali without the key. Secure the key. Secure the Cali.

On the subject of AirTags, I was reading an article recently where someone had taken their Motorhome for a service and an AirTag was discovered hidden under one of the filler flaps (can't recall which one)

But basically it was reported that high value vehicles are being targeted in this way so thieves can return to steal them. Quite scary really....
Nice story but would not work as per my explanation. The owner, if they had an iPhone, would be notified that there was an Air Tag moving with them as part of its anti stalking measure.

Nice story but would not work as per my explanation. The owner, if they had an iPhone, would be notified that there was an Air Tag moving with them as part of its anti stalking measure.
I'm too old to understand modern technology, so it served it's purpose and made me read the article!

But do these criminals perhaps have ways to re-programme or alter these devices for their nefarious purposes. For example Land Rover supposedly has state of the art technology to stop their vehicles from being intercepted but they're still been stolen on a colossal scale with technology which bypasses and emulates their systems?

Last edited:

I saw that too and it was debunked as just being a made up story. Why is anyone’s guess.

So, with the greatest of respect to all of the contributors here, why do we need AirTags? Perhaps others disagree with you?
For the purposes being said here they don’t work and were never designed to. They are designed to help you find your keys, wallet or backpack if you lose them. Not track moving objects. I lost my car keys a few months back and using the find my function found them in the long grass near my car. Perfect use case. Perfect execution.

They will track a moving object if there is an iPhone nearby to ping it. They will also let anyone nearby, with an iPhone, know there is a moving tracker. Just got to hope the thief has an android and it does not chirp.

Welcome disagreement though. Rather a reasoned debate than a love in pile on.

Last edited:
I'm too old to understand modern technology, so it served it's purpose and made me read the article!

But do these criminals perhaps have ways to re-programme or alter these devices for their nefarious purposes. For example Land Rover supposedly has state of the art technology to stop their vehicles from being intercepted but they're still been stolen on a colossal scale with technology which bypasses and emulates their systems?
I think you have three topics there. The first is the article which was fake. Really just proves that newspapers will repeat anything if it serves their purpose. Up to us to work out real facts from alternate facts.

Second is the airtag modification. Short answer. No. Sounds like a lot of hassle for a thief and there are much more sophisticated ways to track someone if they wanted, which is all theory at this stage.

The final point, not related to the above, so not an example, is Land Rover thefts which are mainly due flawed implementation of the security and readily available software hacks for them. LR have fixed most of these via a large software update, but it has not fixed the reputation of these vehicles as being widely stolen, as you have repeated.

It’s they key for a Cali. Always the key. Unstealable without it.

They will track a moving object if there is an iPhone nearby to ping it. They will also let anyone nearby, with an iPhone, know there is a moving tracker. Just got to hope the thief has an android and it does not chirp.
So, iphone user on a train with 50 airtags in rucksacks nearby will be getting pinged relentlessly? Just wondering if this is now a bit of a pain on public transport.

So, iphone user on a train with 50 airtags in rucksacks nearby will be getting pinged relentlessly? Just wondering if this is now a bit of a pain on public transport.
Wow. That’s a lot of rucksacks with AirTags in them in the same Bluetooth zone as the non airtag owner. One assumes they are all piled up in the corner of the same carriage.

Short answer, no, as long as the backpack owner is with them. The tag is then connected to their phone and knows they are near. So not lost and not without the owner tracking someone else.

If the owner has got off and left their backpack, they will get a notification when moving that there is a tag near them.

It’s a use case so tight I can’t imagine many people have had the notification.

Wow. That’s a lot of rucksacks with AirTags in them in the same Bluetooth zone as the non airtag owner. One assumes they are all piled up in the corner of the same carriage.

Short answer, no, as long as the backpack owner is with them. The tag is then connected to their phone and knows they are near. So not lost and not without the owner tracking someone else.

If the owner has got off and left their backpack, they will get a notification when moving that there is a tag near them.

It’s a use case so tight I can’t imagine many people have had the notification.
haha, i was being extreme with the number of tags but people have them on keys as well etc. My son has 3 Samsung ones on him.
Ok, i understand now about them if they are travelling with the owner. :thumb

haha, i was being extreme with the number of tags but people have them on keys as well etc. My son has 3 Samsung ones on him.
Ok, i understand now about them if they are travelling with the owner. :thumb
If I remember what I read correctly the iPhones only start pinging after approximately 8 hours after first detecting a nearby tag.

If I remember what I read correctly the iPhones only start pinging after approximately 8 hours after first detecting a nearby tag.
They ping between 8 and 24 hours after losing contact with the host iPhone. No idea how Apple grades the time in between.

If a tag is near you when the host iPhone is out of range AND you are moving you get a notification straight away. Well. After 15 minutes with the most recent anti stalking updates.

Last edited:
Back