Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Apple Air Tag

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
I think the thieves are one step ahead with one of these.

Dodge1311

Dodge1311

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
I am notorious for buying things i want but don't need ,and airtags definitely fall into that category, I have 3 on my desk right now. ( i have already lost the 4th one before i paired it to my phone). I really have no idea what they might be useful for?

I have managed not to lose my keys or my bag in 48 years so i think i am all good for them. I did lose a shoe after a night out in the Netherlands a few years ago, which potentially may have been a good use for one if you could attach it to your laces.

R

Roy C

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Isn't there some very simple solutions to this.

1. you could place the tag on the outside of the vehicle somewhere. My tags are relatively quiet and i would be surprised if any would be thief would hear them in an outside environment. if they were underneath the vehicle.
2. Bluetooth will work in a vacuum whereas sound will not travel through one. ( So a flask will act as the perfect cloaking device and will not look out of place in a campervan.)
3. put it into an acoustic insulating bag or pack which would cost about £3.
Yes, but if you find an airtag that is following you then you can disable it to stop it sharing your location, so the thief doesn’t even need to find it to stop you tracking it. From Apple support:

If you see an “AirTag Found Moving With You” message​

If you see this message on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch running iOS or iPadOS 14.5 or later, an AirTag that has been separated from the person who registered it is travelling with you, and the owner may be able to see its location. It’s possible that the AirTag may be attached to an item you’re borrowing. Follow these steps to turn off “AirTag Detected” notifications or disable the AirTag:
  1. Tap the message.
  2. Tap Continue. If you need help finding the AirTag, tap Play Sound.*
  3. If the AirTag is attached to an item you’re borrowing, you can tap Pause Safety Alerts to turn off “AirTag Detected” notifications for one day. If you’re borrowing an AirTag from a member of your Family Sharing group, you can turn off Safety Alerts for one day or indefinitely.
  4. You can tap Learn About This AirTag to see its serial number if the owner marked it as lost.
  5. To disable the AirTag and stop sharing your location, tap Instructions to Disable AirTag and follow the onscreen steps. If you feel your safety is at risk, contact your local law enforcement who can then work with Apple. You may need to provide the AirTag or its serial number. “

R

Roy C

Vehicle
Looking to buy
I am notorious for buying things i want but don't need ,and airtags definitely fall into that category, I have 3 on my desk right now. ( i have already lost the 4th one before i paired it to my phone). I really have no idea what they might be useful for?

I have managed not to lose my keys or my bag in 48 years so i think i am all good for them. I did lose a shoe after a night out in the Netherlands a few years ago, which potentially may have been a good use for one if you could attach it to your laces.
Did you not attach an airtag to your airtag in case you lost it?

Sunstoner

Sunstoner

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
Aaah yes. Having just updated my knowledge ;-P. If the iPhone from another unrelated user notices that the airtag seems to be following them, it plays a tune. Thats clever.

Still though, someone who wants your car or bike or simply wants to know where you live. Simply attach an Airtag and a Samsung smart tag and one of'em will do the job for Terry the thief.
Doesnt take them long does it? But im seeing YT vids online on how to remove the speaker from Airtags...jeeeez....

dripster

dripster

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I think I'll stick with my Tiles. They've helped me find numerous lost keys, bags and wallets, both in the home and properly lost. And I hate giving Apple money. If I want to pay for overpriced equipment for people with more money than sense I'll buy another California!

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
For me, it just goes to show that reviews aren’t always reflective of overall experiences across a user base. Bit like bad reviews of the T6.1, they are in the minority.

I’ve had a Vodafone Curve since November 2020 - so 6 months. It has so far been faultless. Accurate location on map, accurate journey history, etc.

T

Trudi

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
For me, it just goes to show that reviews aren’t always reflective of overall experiences across a user base. Bit like bad reviews of the T6.1, they are in the minority.

I’ve had a Vodafone Curve since November 2020 - so 6 months. It has so far been faultless. Accurate location on map, accurate journey history, etc.
Have you hard wired it?

VW California Club