Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Are my Aux Batts too tired?

GreatResigner

GreatResigner

Done sending emails
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi Everyone, New to the forum. I have been lucky enough to find a 2007 Cali T5 in good nick. The chap who sold it to me was honest enough to let me know that the Aux batteries were “tired”. From that I guessed he meant they probably need replacing. I was wondering if anybody on here could tell me whether the “Battery Status” on the control panel readout is able to confirm this? I had the vehicle on hook-up at home for a few hours and here is the reading I am getting from the battery status.

12.3V. 50%. -0.2A (yes that is a minus)

Can I judge frost that whether these old batteries are still useful, or not?

they need min 24 hrs and then check the voltage, the -02 is just tje panel running, dont worry about it, let us know the volts after the long charge.

I had the vehicle on hook-up at home for a few hours and here is the reading I am getting from the battery status.

If you got the reading while on hookup your charger is not working. Assuming it has a wardrobe it may have a circuit breaker in the rear part. Check that first.

If you got the reading while on hookup your charger is not working. Assuming it has a wardrobe it may have a circuit breaker in the rear part. Check that first.
Charged it up. Status now showing fluctuation between 12.7V 90% and 12.8V 100%. How does that read to you?

they need min 24 hrs and then check the voltage, the -02 is just tje panel running, dont worry about it, let us know the volts after the long charge.
Charged it for about 18 hours and have 12.7V 90% and 12.8V 100%. Fluctuating between these two readings.

Charged it for about 18 hours and have 12.7V 90% and 12.8V 100%. Fluctuating between these two readings.
What is the current when sitting at that voltage. I would expect good batteries to read about 13.4V 0A by this point. Also worth checking if they are hot while charging. Then unplug charger and see how long the battery voltage hold up with nothing switched on.
When my ones were going bad, they were hot while charging, didn't charge property to voltage and then when removed from charger, voltage dropped over a couple of days to 12.3 or 12.4 without switching stuff on.

Good tip. Checked it and it was okay.

Having charged it for 18 hours I have got 12.4V, 60% and 0.0 AMPS.

Thanks for the advice. Do you mind telling me how you come to that conclusion?
A good leisure battery will show 12.7 to 12.8 v 30 minutes after charging has stopped whether charging is via EHU or engine alternator. It will then hold that voltage for some weeks if nothing is switched on to use power.
A failing leisure battery will charge to the same voltage but that voltage will drop over a few hours.
If you only camp while connected to EHU.then there is no urgency but I doubt if your batteries will last 24hrs with anything switched if you camp without EHU.
If the leisure batteries are original then that's 16 yrs. They need changing.

A good leisure battery will show 12.7 to 12.8 v 30 minutes after charging has stopped whether charging is via EHU or engine alternator. It will then hold that voltage for some weeks if nothing is switched on to use power.
A failing leisure battery will charge to the same voltage but that voltage will drop over a few hours.
If you only camp while connected to EHU.then there is no urgency but I doubt if your batteries will last 24hrs with anything switched if you camp without EHU.
If the leisure batteries are original then that's 16 yrs. They need changing.
I'm seeing the same on a pair of 3 year old batteries. Charging fine but can deplete with 8 hours of the fridge on 4. When isolating and testing separately there is 1v difference between the 2 batteries when discharged. I assume this is probably due to deep discharge cycles before I got the van?

I'm seeing the same on a pair of 3 year old batteries. Charging fine but can deplete with 8 hours of the fridge on 4. When isolating and testing separately there is 1v difference between the 2 batteries when discharged. I assume this is probably due to deep discharge cycles before I got the van?
Batteries have a warranty and is not unknown for a battery to fail. If one battery fails it would drag down the other.
My leisure batteries started failing at 6 yrs old and on testing 1 battery would not hold a charge. Before they would last 4 days off EHU but once they went wrong they wouldn't last 12 hrs.

Batteries have a warranty and is not unknown for a battery to fail. If one battery fails it would drag down the other.
My leisure batteries started failing at 6 yrs old and on testing 1 battery would not hold a charge. Before they would last 4 days off EHU but once they went wrong they wouldn't last 12 hrs.
It's a 19 plate van with original batteries, I'm also not the original buyer so I suspect I'd be out of luck warranty wise.

From past experience the battery 'tester' that is used for warranty claims is biased anyway. I received training on a yuasa unit 10 years ago and they were very specific about what options are selected at the start of the test:

Warranty setting would recommend a recharge and class as good battery and battery test would suggest new unit purchase on the same battery

Hi Everyone, New to the forum. I have been lucky enough to find a 2007 Cali T5 in good nick. The chap who sold it to me was honest enough to let me know that the Aux batteries were “tired”. From that I guessed he meant they probably need replacing. I was wondering if anybody on here could tell me whether the “Battery Status” on the control panel readout is able to confirm this? I had the vehicle on hook-up at home for a few hours and here is the reading I am getting from the battery status.

Can I judge frost that whether these old batteries are still useful, or not?
Was the guy that owned it previous to you the first owner? If he was then obviously he would know if they were the originals. 16 years is a long time to expect the batteries to maintain a charge like they were new.
if he wasn’t the original owner then it’s quite possible the batteries are not original. Ours batteries were changed under warranty at one day under 3 years. The new batteries are now just over 5 years old and are perfect.

Was the guy that owned it previous to you the first owner? If he was then obviously he would know if they were the originals. 16 years is a long time to expect the batteries to maintain a charge like they were new.
if he wasn’t the original owner then it’s quite possible the batteries are not original. Ours batteries were changed under warranty at one day under 3 years. The new batteries are now just over 5 years old and are perfect.
Yes, he was the first owner. I will get in touch and find out how old the batts are.

Are the Varta 80 AMP AGM replacements people have been talking of on these forums the only recommended quality replacements (apart from the VW ones, that is)?

The main reason is Varta manufacture the original VW supplied batteries so you can match up the exact dimensions which is useful for the confined spaces under the front seat and back wardrobe.

Are the Varta 80 AMP AGM replacements people have been talking of on these forums the only recommended quality replacements (apart from the VW ones, that is)?
VW fit Varta LA80 .
Replacement batteries have to have the same physical dimensions, but there are not many quality makes that have those dimensions and are AGM and at least 75/80 amp capacity.
Prices vary but Tayna Batteries are a competitive supplier.

Back