• Thread starter chris ratay traveler
  • Start date
chris ratay traveler

chris ratay traveler

Overlanding South America w T6.1 Ocean 204, 4M+
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
On Thursday, Oct 12th we loaded the van into the container in Rotterdam, NL. It departed on the 14th, and arrived in Cartagena yesterday.

(Yesterday) Friday, Nov 3rd, and a few hours ago I went to the port to unload the container. When we opened, we saw the rear retaining strap was severed, leaving only the strap in front. The loading crew in Rotterdam didn't install any wheel chocks, claiming the two straps were more than sufficient to keep it in place.

Somehow the van was undamaged, and the local vehicle load/unload crew was surprised.

There was also no bad smell -- After we dropped it off in NL, I learned that mold can easily develop from condensation inside containers... Of course it was raining heavily when we loaded it into the container, so I've been a bit nervous of the impact. Basically nothing visible or noticeable when I was inside the van.

Monday is a holiday so I'll return on Tuesday to complete the inspection process and begin the Temporary Import procedure - we should be able to drive away on Weds afternoon or Thursday morning, then our trip though South America will begin.

Here's the original link. To get more updates, just click follow on FB (sorry, I don't accept new friendships while traveling)

Safe travels!!

All 4 wheels should have been chocked, with each chock screwed to base of container. Then strapped.

The rear retaining strap was most likely severed by movement, which could have been prevented by using chocks. Check for damage to bumpers / transmission.

You were very lucky to have not suffered any damage, especially in the Atlantic at this time of year. Shipping line / Carrier would have rejected any damage claim as vehicle was not properly secured.

Last edited:
All 4 wheels should have been chocked, with each chock screwed to base of container. Then strapped.

The rear retaining strap was most likely severed by movement, which could have been prevented by using chocks. Check for damage to bumpers / transmission.

You were very lucky to have not suffered any damage, especially in the Atlantic at this time of year. Shipping line / Carrier would have rejected any damage claim as vehicle was not properly secured.
Hi there glad to hear your VW arrived safely … clearly should have been chocked.
Would you mind telling me what the shipping costs were for this adventurous trip.

I travelled through Columbia in the mid nineties. It is not for the faint hearted. Places like Cali and Medellin are fantastic.. If you park anywhere you will get broken into. Look for secure parking at hotels and be prepared to pay for security..

I’m currently in Peru. The traffic here is definitely not European.
It makes Naples look tame!

The continent is so amazing though, you are going to have an absolute blast in your California.

Best wishes for your adventure.