Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

At last…we have a Cali!

R

R & A

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hello all, after quite a few years of debating, we finally picked up our first California T6.1 on Friday, Ascot Grey, 150. We live in beautiful North Wales so have quite a lot to go at on our door step. We have been teased by the neighbours for sitting in the van on the drive while we ‘find our way around’ .

Any suggestions for the top five most useful buys would be appreciated (I have bought a collapsible kettle already, couldn’t help myself ).

Welcome. The best advice is not to rush in. I would say 10% of what we bought we have not used.

These guys have a helpful youtube channel

They mention the Ridge Monkey. That is a must IMHO.

There is a bit of rubber that goes all along the top of the dash in the gap between the dash and windscreen. That was our single best purchase. I lost a credit card down that gap. A pain to get out.

Enjoy your camper :)

Welcome. Don’t listen to the neighbours! First thing we did was to spend two nights on the drive - getting to know how to set up and use beds, make tea, use blinds etc. All very helpful!

As for useful buys? Lots of suggestions and that video is a good start but we have found simple alternatives to many of the bespoke gadgets. For example “tie down kit”. Well a couple of lengths of nylon cord and some cheapo tent pegs work fine. “Ridge Monkey” - a small saucepan and a small frying pan works fine for us . So the only advice would be to try the simple things first. Buy less use more!

Spend a night or two on a local campsite to get a feel for the van, and list everything that you like and that ‘could be better’.
Then search this site for reviews before throwing your money at ‘stuff’.
I poo-pooed the ridge monkey until I found that just two replaced all of our pans, one of our better buys.
Maybe focus on what helps you to sleep comfortably, to keep warm and safe and to make maximum use of all those nooks and crannies.

Hello all, after quite a few years of debating, we finally picked up our first California T6.1 on Friday, Ascot Grey, 150. We live in beautiful North Wales so have quite a lot to go at on our door step. We have been teased by the neighbours for sitting in the van on the drive while we ‘find our way around’ .

Any suggestions for the top five most useful buys would be appreciated (I have bought a collapsible kettle already, couldn’t help myself ).
Lovely place to live. Very jealous.

Welcome and congrats!
Cath and I are the only travellers and after three years with the van, we have two tips for you...

Store things which you use together in the same place.
Don't load van cupboards like your kitchen or you'll open every drawer to make 1 cup of tea!​
e.g. We keep 2 spoons, 2 cups, tea, coffee, etc in the one place. Any additional cups, cutlery, etc are in a less accessible cupboard.​

Every tempting new 'gadget' should have at least two functions to be included. 'Me too' is not allowed!
We still travel with a notepad to list items we should include/exclude/replenish for the next trip.​
Resist the adverts and only add to your inventory when you're sure you will use the item.​

Welcome and congrats!
Cath and I are the only travellers and after three years with the van, we have two tips for you...

Store things which you use together in the same place.
Don't load van cupboards like your kitchen or you'll open every drawer to make 1 cup of tea!​
e.g. We keep 2 spoons, 2 cups, tea, coffee, etc in the one place. Any additional cups, cutlery, etc are in a less accessible cupboard.​

Every tempting new 'gadget' should have at least two functions to be included. 'Me too' is not allowed!
We still travel with a notepad to list items we should include/exclude/replenish for the next trip.​
Resist the adverts and only add to your inventory when you're sure you will use the item.​
This. Takes a couple of trips to find what you really need. Then you’ll go and buy a load more anyway. Welcome to the Cali owners club, love it, and enjoy.

Already long term owners at 31 days!!
Mine went back in that time!!

Never leave home without at least half a cupboard empty and spare. Otherwise it all descends into chaos when you get undressed for bed, and you'll end up selling it!