Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Attaching thermal blinds around front dashcam

B

BwobsCampervan

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Just wondering how people attach thermal blinds to the front windscreen when you have a dash cam fitted. My original blinds are the foil plastic bubble wrap type ones. But once I fit the dash cam the blinds will no longer fit bea sue the blind won't be able to fit around the camera. We had thought to cut a hole out so it can fit around the camera. But wondered if anyone has any other suggestions on any other way to put up an internal thermal blind on the windscreen with a dash cam.

My internal thermal blind for the windscreen, from Project Camper, is tailored specifically to fit round the rear view mirror and also fits around my dashcam

My internal thermal blind for the windscreen, from Project Camper, is tailored specifically to fit round the rear view mirror and also fits around my dashcam
My dashcam has to be fitted to the left of the rear view mirror, so short of cutting out a hole in the blind adjacent to the one for the mirror, I'm not sure what else to do.

My dashcam has to be fitted to the left of the rear view mirror, so short of cutting out a hole in the blind adjacent to the one for the mirror, I'm not sure what else to do.
Mine too, is offset to the left of the rear view mirror fix point, so I can't see it from the driving position.
I've got my Cali in secure storage, but will be giving it a run out on Friday. I'll fit the screen and take some inside and outside pics to show you how it looks, to help in your decision making, if that would help?

Throw your internal blinds away and get an externally fitted one

Throw your internal blinds away and get an externally fitted one
Not as practical when wild camping. The internal blinds from Project Camper also create a thermal barrier, so great to install when parked up in a city, at the beach etc.
External ones are probably fine on a campsite.

I have a quilted reversible external cover, silver on one side and black on the other, and I have used them all over Europe both on sites and in free Aires with no problems

Is unplugging and removing the dashcam that much of a pain to do each night? I do just this and it’s no big deal ( dashcam is sucker attached)

How can one cover fixed to the outside secured by both doors and the wipers be less convenient than three bits of tin foil fixed to the inside around the self dipping mirror and dash camera. At least with an external cover you can have the windows cracked for ventilation

How can one cover fixed to the outside secured by both doors and the wipers be less convenient than three bits of tin foil fixed to the inside around the self dipping mirror and dash camera. At least with an external cover you can have the windows cracked for ventilation

You can’t use an external cover if stealth camping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can't use tin foil on the inside either if you stealth camping, nor can you put the roof up, and the condensation will give it away

You can't use tin foil on the inside either if you stealth camping, nor can you put the roof up, and the condensation will give it away

I’ve done it many times, with a window vent, double glazing and an internal thermal blind there is no condensation to speak of. I very rarely stealth camp in urban areas but if I do I use a curtain and nothing in the cab area. Ironically though I recently got rid of my internal blind after I had a dash cam fitted!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is unplugging and removing the dashcam that much of a pain to do each night? I do just this and it’s no big deal ( dashcam is sucker attached)
The camera wires are all tucked away and hidden between the insulation and the windows - so the wires are not visible. It would be a right pain to remove the camera and undo the hidden wiring each time...

View attachment IMG_6998.jpegView attachment IMG_6999.jpegIMG_7001.jpegMy dashcam has to be fitted to the left of the rear view mirror, so short of cutting out a hole in the blind adjacent to the one for the mirror, I'm not sure what else to do.
As posted earlier, here are some pics of my Project Camper internal screen for the windscreen.
It is designed at the bottom, to slot into the gap between the dash and the windscreen. At the top, you can see the slot to fit round the rear view mirror. There are 4 metal rods that keep the screen against the windscreen, with the help of the sun blinds. Once in place, it doesn't move.
The last pic shows the dashcam to the side of the mirror fitting. This enables the movement sensitive dashcam to record events when the internal screen is fitted

Back