Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Audio Options

John

John

VIP Member
Orginal post coordinated

I've found it tricky to work out the best stereo option, as our dealer only had the RCD310, the brochure's unclear, and some of the options on the VW website aren't available for the Cali.

We haven't ordered any extra audio options, and are thinking of living with the basic stereo for a while, and then decide whether to upgrade later. Is there anything we need to bear in mind if we want to do that?

Am I right in thinking that the stereo options on the current Cali are...?

basic RCD310 (with optional CD changer, DAB, MDI, Bluetooth etc)

£1900 RNS510 (satnav)

£963 Kenwood Multimedia (satnav)

£1250 DynAudio amp/speakers

We play most of our music from iThings. (I don't need satnav, as the iPhone and iPad can share the TomTom app).

I'd assumed that the "6 CD changer" option meant the RCD510 with touchscreen (and prettier parking sensor display) and built-in CD changer: http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/ ... ms/rcd-510. But I understand from my dealer that it just means a separate CD changer unit which lives under the driver's seat. Am I right in thinking that the RCD510 would work; it's just not available to buy with the Cali?

I'd buy the DynAudio system if I thought it was substantially better than the default amp/speakers - but our dealer said he'd never had one in, so we couldn't try it out before buying. I can read about it at http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/ ... und-system, but I want to hear what £1250 buys me! (I'm also nervous that adding this on would push our build date back). Have any of you seen (or heard!) DynAudio in your dealers?

Any thoughts welcomed!
Steve

We have the dynaudio in one of our Campervans, and I don't think it's worth the extra only at all - in fact there are times when I can't tell the difference between the standard system and the upgraded one! If you are local to us feel free to pop in and I'll give you a demonstration.

Reverence the 510 - I really regret buying it and wish I had spent the money elsewhere

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
We have the dynaudio in one of our Campervans, and I don't think it's worth the extra at all … If you are local to us feel free to pop in and I'll give you a demonstration.

Thanks, Oli - that's really kind of you.

I'm in Brighton, and if I get a free weekend soon(!) I'd love to pop down. Will try and give you plenty of notice if I do...

Cheers,
Steve

Swaleuk said:
Reverence the 510 - I really regret buying it and wish I had spent the money elsewhere

Thanks for saying so. What don't you like about the RNS510? Is the sat nav any good? Or is it ok but just not worth the money?

Best wishes,
Steve

Audio Options - online resources

Just logging some of my findings here in case they help anyone else...

Personally, I think I'm going to stick with the RCD310, but add lots of (possibly pointless :roll: ) options on (DAB, MDI, MFSW, Bluetooth Premium...)

It's just not woth the money, satnav is okay but I find tomtom and the free iPad Navfree better, and would cost so much more to fit the Bluetooth kit for my iPhone, I just don't find anything about it useful
And the final thing, I can even use it when I'm camping as it turns off after 1/2 an hour

I just keep thinking about the great extras I could have got for the money

coordinated said:
BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
We have the dynaudio in one of our Campervans, and I don't think it's worth the extra at all … If you are local to us feel free to pop in and I'll give you a demonstration.

Thanks, Oli - that's really kind of you.

I'm on Brighton, and if I get a free weekend soon(!) I'd love to pop down. Will try and give you plenty of notice if I do...

Cheers,
Steve

OK. See you soon.

Ref other people comments on the RNS 510, I think It's the best factory sat nav unit out there, especially when hooked up with BT and the MDI with your iPhone. Very slick, 40gb hard drive and touch screen. It's also a bonus that this can all be brought for under £1000 :)

Re: Audio Options - online resources

coordinated said:
Just logging some of my findings here in case they help anyone else...

Personally, I think I'm going to stick with the RCD310, but add lots of (possibly pointless :roll: ) options on (DAB, MDI, MFSW, Bluetooth Premium...)
Once again thanks Steve :cool:

Back