Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Looking to upgrade my factory audio system on 2015 Beach

I have a RNS315 which I really like the satnav on, having non data reliant maps was crucial in my tours of Scotland and quite a bit of Europe. Its easy to use, has built in traffic (I use Waze for that these days when I can) and I even managed to enable bluetooth without paying the extortionate cost from VW.

I've been tempted by a nicer carplay model and I love carplay and do like the mod cons. However that in memory map has got me places so many times when signal was gone. I think its the RCD 330 which many have fitted, taken out of VW cars in china and europe.

A side question here if I were to go for CarPlay. What happens now that we have to pay for data roaming in Europe as these units must rely completely on the phone.
Hi Bilberry,
I use CarPlay along with Google maps (amongst other apps previously mentioned).
If you download all the maps you require prior to leaving the uk onto iPhone or pad you can use them off line or as a standalone sat nav Via CarPlay to the head unit. (No requirement for online maps or any data usage)

I would personally pay the £2 per day roaming(I am on three network) so not sure of other provider/s roaming fees So I still have the ability to have internet for other lookup purposes if needed, without the need to access excessive amounts of map data.
with the roaming paid for you do get latest road updates, speed limits and informatio.

have A play whilst in the uk with map downloading first be you go on a journey, just use iPhone/ipad. You may find you prefer one app over the other.

the Kenwood unit mentioned earlier is currently very scarce and trending prices are almost double to that earlier last year. When they become more available they may return to a lot lower price.

So, many thanks to all you fabulous California-ites. I’ve now decided against the Kenwood option because of glare issues.

My choice now seems to be between the in-dash Alpine 803 and the hovering Alpine Halo. I’ve had a quote from Exploria, who are local and did a great job on my diesel heater, that makes my eyes water, but I trust them. I’ve also had a very cheap fitting quote from a nice guy in Manchester but sourcing the kit seems hassle-y.

The costs are definitely making this a luxury, but having just saved a lot of money by NOT buying a second car, it’s time to make an apology to my van, maybe.

Apart from the cost, which is my main issue, I‘m concerned about the stealability of the floating Halo. I mean, if I looked in the window of my van, I’d surely want to break in for the glorious between-seats picnic basket or the handmade seat protector….but a sparkly screen may tempt the undiscerning even more.

But £1500….really?

So, many thanks to all you fabulous California-ites. I’ve now decided against the Kenwood option because of glare issues.

My choice now seems to be between the in-dash Alpine 803 and the hovering Alpine Halo. I’ve had a quote from Exploria, who are local and did a great job on my diesel heater, that makes my eyes water, but I trust them. I’ve also had a very cheap fitting quote from a nice guy in Manchester but sourcing the kit seems hassle-y.

The costs are definitely making this a luxury, but having just saved a lot of money by NOT buying a second car, it’s time to make an apology to my van, maybe.

Apart from the cost, which is my main issue, I‘m concerned about the stealability of the floating Halo. I mean, if I looked in the window of my van, I’d surely want to break in for the glorious between-seats picnic basket or the handmade seat protector….but a sparkly screen may tempt the undiscerning even more.

But £1500….really?
If glare is the only issue with the Kenwood then don’t discount it for that reason. The newer units (mine was bought 2 years ago) have no issues with glare as far as I’m concerned. Mine is absolutely fine in direct sunlight at any time of the day. You can also change the angle of the screen by quite a few degrees too depending on the model you opt for.
The graphics are a bit 80s though.

If glare is the only issue with the Kenwood then don’t discount it for that reason. The newer units (mine was bought 2 years ago) have no issues with glare as far as I’m concerned. Mine is absolutely fine in direct sunlight at any time of the day. You can also change the angle of the screen by quite a few degrees too depending on the model you opt for.
The graphics are a bit 80s though.
Agree with above. No glare on mine, but you can get a stick on film if it was an issue. I like it as I’m not very tech minded but find it very easy to use without ever reading the manual!

Back