Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Australian Beaches - going, going, gone!

In Australia they’ve been madly converting pick ups and land cruisers into campers vehicles, adding leasure batteries, fridges, kitchen units etc.
A modified California Beach/Ocean would make perfect sense. 4motion with diff lock, raised shocks, beefy AT tires, onboard air compressors, extra front lights on a front bull bar With a winch and call it... Oceania instead
something like this:
View attachment 62714

Saw a van similar to the photo parked in Hamburg last year; complete with snorkel, winch etc. Looked very smart!

Aaaah, I can picture it now....a twin slider Budgie Smuggler Ltd Edition. 2 inch lift on Old Man Emu shocks, roo bar, knobbly tyres, ARB diff lockers, snorkel, unique two tone paintwork based on the AUS flag, 4 motion, surf board holders, 128 litre Esky for the beers, tiny cupboard for the Speedos...she’d be a beaut mate

Australian Design Rules stipulate that passengers must be able to exit on the nearside from the rear of a vehicle so they’ll all be twin sliders...like mine ;)

You should be able to order AUS specification for factory collection but be prepared for tricky insurance and no number plates of any description until you’ve changed the speedo and passed a complex SVA test. Plus zero warranty, it isn’t global. You can get some taxes back on new cars from AUS but not all, this will add to your costs. Shipping RORO not that bad as under 2m.

VAG AUS have chosen the spec well, looks great
Sorry to tell you, I have imported a fully opted New California Ocean, as have at 6 other Cali owners. No problem with registration or insurance, warranty was covered for 6 mths after importing date. Speedo unchanged!
did not have to pay VAT because we exported it from UK, paid GST and stamp duty here same as we would have purchasing any new car here. Shipping cost was just over $1000.
May I suggest you check you facts and do a bit of research before going to print.
regards

Aaaah, I can picture it now....a twin slider Budgie Smuggler Ltd Edition. 2 inch lift on Old Man Emu shocks, roo bar, knobbly tyres, ARB diff lockers, snorkel, unique two tone paintwork based on the AUS flag, 4 motion, surf board holders, 128 litre Esky for the beers, tiny cupboard for the Speedos...she’d be a beaut mate

D4025C79-2D9D-4852-B009-86FDC936BEF1.jpeg

Sorry to tell you, I have imported a fully opted New California Ocean, as have at 6 other Cali owners. No problem with registration or insurance, warranty was covered for 6 mths after importing date. Speedo unchanged!
did not have to pay VAT because we exported it from UK, paid GST and stamp duty here same as we would have purchasing any new car here. Shipping cost was just over $1000.
May I suggest you check you facts and do a bit of research before going to print.
regards
You must get a lot of positive comments on the van with them being so rare in Aus.

Like @Tomato I had also read somewhere about the sliding door on other side being the reason why VW Aus hadn’t imported Calis to date. Fake news based on your response; thanks for correcting this.

regards
Jeepers...I am sorry too, I was discussing importing AUS spec into UK, my post clearly says “from AUS” , it is a reply to someone discussing importing into the UK. A tinny too many there methinks.

As a former Australian resident who worked for two manufacturers in Australia importing cars (plus I imported six of my own into Australia) I’m willing to stand by my ADR facts, it isn’t relevant to personal imports I am talking about officially imported cars not what we used to call “Mickey Mouse” grey imports.

You seem confident, how about wager? $1000 to a charity of my choice in Australia? I’ll ask a friend to send me the ADR directives....

Can anyone confirm that if by some incredible coincidence all the Cali’s officially imported into Australia have twin doors?

Brochure says so. Makes sense to me as I understand the Cali didn’t come here before is because it previously lacked a left-hand sliding door.

f576e95c53982af82b8942cc616ccbbb.plist

regards

Well it looks like ADR 44/00 subsection 44.2.8.1 clearly says ( and don't forget to read it properly before going to print) every motorhome equipped with cooking OR sleeping accommodation needs an outward or sliding door located on the left hand side...just to make sure it's clear I'll drop a line to Canberra to see if this legislation has changed as at least seven Oceans have been imported. It probably doesn't apply to you but best to make sure that the process has been done legally, you wouldnt want to commit an offence under the Criminal Act 1919 by submitting an incorrect import approval. Important that the top tether is also done as ADR doesn't recognise Isofix. Can you kindly pop me a message confirming your rego so I can give Canberra an example for them to check?

regards
Looking online today at the new VW but reckon its a bit low to the ground. I would certainly swerve an import.

Tell me when you imported your truck did you get the rear child seat mountings changed? Rules are sometimes there for a reason. Australian child seats dont fit securely onto british cars, will whoever buys your or your mates fully opted cars know this? Not safe.

Well it looks like ADR 44/00 subsection 44.2.8.1 clearly says ( and don't forget to read it properly before going to print) every motorhome equipped with cooking OR sleeping accommodation needs an outward or sliding door located on the left hand side...just to make sure it's clear I'll drop a line to Canberra to see if this legislation has changed as at least seven Oceans have been imported. It probably doesn't apply to you but best to make sure that the process has been done legally, you wouldnt want to commit an offence under the Criminal Act 1919 by submitting an incorrect import approval. Important that the top tether is also done as ADR doesn't recognise Isofix. Can you kindly pop me

Well it looks like ADR 44/00 subsection 44.2.8.1 clearly says ( and don't forget to read it properly before going to print) every motorhome equipped with cooking OR sleeping accommodation needs an outward or sliding door located on the left hand side...just to make sure it's clear I'll drop a line to Canberra to see if this legislation has changed as at least seven Oceans have been imported. It probably doesn't apply to you but best to make sure that the process has been done legally, you wouldnt want to commit an offence under the Criminal Act 1919 by submitting an incorrect import approval. Important that the top tether is also done as ADR doesn't recognise Isofix. Can you kindly pop me a message confirming your rego so I can give Canberra an example for them to check?

a message confirming your rego so I can give Canberra an example for them to check?

copy of ADR 44/00 4.2.8.1. FYI. In an emergency rear passengers can exit between the font seats to the passenger front door. EE115003-7435-44AE-95D1-3B4E684DC551.pngEE115003-7435-44AE-95D1-3B4E684DC551.png