Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Autoglym Lifeshine -Yes or No

John

John

VIP Member
Original ost nickp

Hi
I initially thought i would get this provided by dealer on new Cali. He has been really helpful through all my faffing about with options, and has quoted £199 for the Autoglym Lifeshine treatment. However my price list is expanding rapidly and having googled around a bit on this i have noticed quite a mixed press with several saying do it yourself at a fraction of the price, and some even counselling against it. Thoughts gratefully received

Original post v3rn-Nic & Helena

For the outside nothing beats washing, polishing and waxing. However it takes me a minimum of 4.5 hours and normally six to do a decent job.

Original post 180dsgcrispy

A DEFINATE NO!
Wash and chamois dry the vehicle with AG Body Shampoo and Conditioner and a Aqua Dry Chamois. Apply a coat of AG Super Resin Polish and polish off with a AG High Tech finishing cloth.
Finally to protect the paint apply a coat of AG High Def Wax(Carnuba), this will shine and seal the paint, polish on its own will not give the same level of protection as the High Def Wax. ( Top tip DO NOT ATTEMPT IN BRIGHT SUNSHINE AS THE POLISH AND WAX WILL BLOOM AND YOU WILL NOT GET THE PERFECT FINISH).

It does look like I have shares in autoglym, but after years of showing cars and bikes this is the best option, plus if you shop around you should be able to get this lot for under a hundred pounds and it will last for years.

It will take the best part of a day to complete properly, but if your starting with a new van the end result will look stunning and it will afford the paint fantastic protection against the weather and atmosphere that nothing can come close to. (Try and apply the polish and the wax at least twice a year, if you have the time, the more times it is done the better).

Regards Craig

Original post Calikev

Totally agree with above.I had a treatment done on a ford once (sorry for swearing)
Cost me the best part of £200 and to be honest I didn't notice much difference all.the salesman bigged it up oh you will be able to wipe bird pooh of it will not need polishing,
Was rubbish. Best do as above post suggests , by the way if I lived nearer to 180dsgcrispy
I'd be popping it round to him to do

Original post Ron

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the tips on polishing with AG. I do get some powdery residue during and after polishing. Do you know what I'm doing wrong or it it one of those things using AG Super Resin Polish. I have found going over with a damp chamois afterwards removes it but this is another process and takes time.

Much appreciated.
Ron

Original post iane

Hi all

We got our Cali new in Sept last year. We went for the Lifeshine option primarily to get the seats protected. Time will tell on that! Can't say I'm terribly optimistic, so we're thinking about seat covers or (more likely as we don't like the look of the covers available), throws to protect. Light gray is a bit daft for a camper interior innit?

I have to say I'm not too impressed with the usefulness of the protection offered to the external paintwork.

SO, I'm interested in Craig's advice and if I can get the energy together, I'm thinking about taking it!

Craig - do you have any tips for getting dead fly residue off the bonnet before I start (Lifeshine seems to have been useless in avoiding this)

Many thanks in anticipation!

Ian

Original post nickp

Thanks to all, most helpful. I think this site has already saved me a few hundred ££

Original post 180dsgcrispy

Ian, the easiest way of removing fly residue off the vehicle is to first wet the vehiclewith just water, and then spray a small amount of MUC OFF on the affected areas and leave for approx 3-5 mins before washing off with AG car shampoo. A slight amount of pressure on the sponge will aid removal. Once all the fly residue is removed rinse with fresh water and then chamois the vehicle dry. Top tip, the more polish and carnuba you can apply the easier you will find it when it comes to removing the fly's.

Ron, reference the white dust from the Super Resin Polish, there is always a small amount of dust, but it sounds like you may be applying to much in the first instance.
First off get a AG Sponge Polish Applicator and wet it to touch with clean water before use and during use. Apply the polish to the sponge first (don't forget to shake the bottle of polish) and then apply to the vehicle in a light circular motion. Wait for the polish to dry completely you should see a slight haze where the polish has been applied, but it shouldn't be too white, try not to apply polish to too many areas at once and remember start at the top and work your way down. (Again ensure you are not doing this in bright sunshine or if the vehicle panels are too hot from being in the sun).
To remove the polish use a AG High Tech Finishing Cloth in a light circular motion, remembering to shake the cloth frequently to remove the dust residue and and any foreign particles it may have picked up which could scratch your vehicle if not removed.
I find it so much easier to have two AG High Tech Finishing clothes, as one can get quite clogged with dust on a vehicle this size. (You can wash these cloths again and again).

Enjoy!!!

Original post Ron

Thanks Craig, very useful hints and tips. Thinking about it I think I do use a little too much AG Resin Polish thinking perhaps I would give the bodywork more protection against the dreaded bird droppings which if left seem to burn into the paintwork. Actually, if you have a tip for removing the marks left behind by bird droppings as they can very difficult to shift.

It's great that we have a member who has some expertise on how to look after paintwork etc.

Appreciate your help

Cheers
Ron

Original post nickp

Quite a stunning level of expertise Craig.... I hate polishing, what are your rates?! I may just travel from Edinburgh to Cornwall (when i get the van!)

Original post wojtek

Hi Craig,
I wax my Cali very much the way you describe. However, I haven't tried carnauba wax. Should I apply the wax after using the AG resin polish? I've heard that carnauba is difficult to apply, any Top Tips on this?
Thanks, Wojtek

Original post smgcowfoldparts

hello all,

I can sell you the VW autoglym lifeshine kits. Not that expensive it you apply it yourself.
The kit is security sealed from Volkswagen, and is the PDI kit.
I can sell it to you people for a huge amount of £50 +vat. If you dont live near i can post it to you for a little extra.

Any more info then please call me or message me.

Thanks

Steve

I seal the wheels with Planet Polish Seal and Shine - utterly brilliant product that makes your wheels easy to clean for months. At some stage I will seal and polish the paint with Zaino Z5 pro. Very easy to apply and its a polish and sealant in one product.

Back