Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Aux heating

B

Bubble

VIP Member
Hi

I've recently upgraded from my t2 bay to Vw California 2009 which ticks all the boxes. Couldn't be happier with performance & design.
My only concern is the night heater / aux heater which only seems to blow for 2-3 mins & also produces cold not warmth. I've set the programme etc so I'm a little confused. I hope there is nothing seriously wrong but would appreciate some advice on this matter.

Cheers Chris

another one for a potential earth shunt fix I'd suggest. Dealer should be able to help or more info in the downloads section (VIPs)

Could indeed be the earth shunt... We had this on our 2009 model.

I'd check first that the leisure batteries are well charged... Give it a week or two permanently on hook up.

It's entirely possible that they've not been well cared for and may be getting towards the end of their working life.

Heater draws a lot of current on startup which shows up any weakness in the leisure batteries.

Rgds
Mark

Thanks for your help I'll try hooking up for a week or so. As soon as I know more ill post some info.
Cheers

Bubble said:
Thanks for your help I'll try hooking up for a week or so. As soon as I know more ill post some info.
Cheers

Charging it more than 10 hours will not introduce any improvement anymore.

To see if this is the unfamous earth shunt issue just look at the interion halogen lamps after switching the heating on, they would flicker (if they are LED rather than halogen they would not), or look at the control panel blue backlight glow, it would flicker too.

Thanks for the quick response...I think we are onto something!
The first thing I noticed when turning on the heating was the blue light on the control panel flickering for 10 seconds or so followed by a short pause & then continuing to flicker again. Do I need a new aux battery?
The term " earth shunt " is starting to worry me a little ! I'm not sure what this earth shunt is or what this could cost to repair ??? Any advice welcome

Thanks again Chris

if the blue glow is flickering, you are having the shunt issue without a doubt. see another topic "earth shunt again", you will find lots of information there. I did the repair myself a month ago, all is good eversince, cost of repair kit is 30 Euros, and repair is relatively easy.

Thanks so much for you reply! I will keep you posted on results ...

Kind regards chris

Update

Spoke to the Vw garage in Bradford just off the m62! To be honest I don't feel at all comfortable in ripping out units etc to find the prob!

He actually new what an earth shunt was and were the problem is but said they can diagnose the problem for £60. He said it may not be the earth shunt but maybe a glow plug etc.

By the sounds of it, the earth shunt is the probably the problem !

He has told me who to ring, they have a Vw California expert based at the Birstall depot in Leeds.
I'll will post any results & costs of this fix shortly ( within the next few weeks)

Chris,
As mentioned in the "earth shunt again" topic to check if the earth shunt was repaired in your van, you have to open the cover inside the left, buttom section of cupboard, then on the wheel arch there is a hole, if the hole is empty earth shunt was not upgraged, if there is a bolt with a thick cable, than yes.
Regards
Andrzej

Does the heater work when plugged into the mains :?:

Calikev said:

Yes that is a very valid question, if it does, this is nothing to do with a glow plug or something.

Andresz said:
Calikev said:

Yes that is a very valid question, if it does, this is nothing to do with a glow plug or something.

That was my thought cant say I have heard of a glow plug problem with the aux.
£60 seems a bit steep just to diagnose the problem. Just be a little careful there are a lot
Of so called Cali experts out there I have experienced them myself if in doubt give Alex at smg
A ring :thumb good luck and hope you get it sorted quickly and cheaply :thumb

Oh I'm having a good day :bananadance

At last we are moving forward... Just hooked up in garage as calikev said, and believe it or not warmth !!!! Yehhh

Stook my head in and looked under the fridge area and also found no evidence of a bolt and cable, just a shiny new hole!

I gather this is an easy repair? Is there an easy way to establish the batteries health or will a good charge as mentioned b4 possibly eradicate my aux start up weakness.

Thanks again andresz & everyone who's helped

Basically the earth strap on earlier models was not upto the job the aux heater takes a lot of current to start up.
the earth shunt repair is basically a thicker earth strap bolted to the chassis
So even a good charged battery won't help until the earth is improved there is a section on the forum about it :thumb I think andreaz has done the repair himself try sending him a pm I'm sure he will be able to help you :thumb

Bubble said:

I gather this is an easy repair? Is there an easy way to establish the batteries health or will a good charge as mentioned b4 possibly eradicate my aux start up weakness.

Do not jump onto the batteries health. Their lifetime is 7-8 years, and your van is 2009. You have to start with the earth shunt repair, should this fail to bring a result you may go to other clues, by you have 95% chance of success.

It is an easy repair, more easy if somebody could guide you, and I will as much as I can.
I am an electrician, so I may slightly underestimate the difficulty but I really can say it is an easy job as long as you know what to do.
You van is 2009 so the additional good thing is that you do not need to remove the sink. Just go through the "earth shunt again" topic, I tried to put most of the necessary information there. Additional information I can email to you.

Good luck
Andrzej

Andresz said:
Bubble said:

Do not jump onto the batteries health. Their lifetime is 7-8 years, and your van is 2009. You have to start with the earth shunt repair, should this fail to bring a result you may go to other clues, by you have 95% chance of success.

Totally agree with Andrzje here... Symptoms look more like the earth shunt given the flickering of the control panel.

It's the cheaper and easier option first...

Replacing the leisure batteries is expensive and a pain for the front one. (Seat base removal)... Poor battery condition may further compound the issue.

Good luck

Totally agree with Andrzje here... Symptoms look more like the earth shunt given the flickering of the control panel.

It's the cheaper and easier option first...

Replacing the leisure batteries is expensive and a pain for the front one. (Seat base removal)... Poor battery condition may further compound the issue.

Even taking the remote possibility that there is a problem with batteries (which I do not believe at all), you still need to do the earth shunt anyway, so in any case it is to start with earth shunt.

I did not disconnect the leisure batteries during the earth shunt repair, but I think it is better to do so as I learned during the job; otherwise when disconnecting the earth shunt there is a lot of unstable power off/on cycles which may possibly blow the central control panel. Removing the front seat is easy (you only need to slide it a bit), just unscrew the 4 bolts. Remember to disconnect minus lead first and connect it last.

Good luck
Andrzej

Andresz said:
I did not disconnect the leisure batteries during the earth shunt repair, but I think it is better to do so as I learned during the job; otherwise when disconnecting the earth shunt there is a lot of unstable power off/on cycles which may possibly blow the central control panel.
Good luck
Andrzej

Good point... Hadn't thought of that.

Good advice Andrzej

Thanks everyone for your advice! Im really grateful for your time....
I will post an update shortly

Moderators, should this not be in the 'Heating & Air Con' sub forum ??

Looking at the heading it is in heating & air con unless my mobile is playing tricks on me Andy ..???!!!