Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Avoiding interior smell?

bvirc

bvirc

Living in a van - cooking, sleeping, driving... - inevitably brings unpleasant smells, even if you care about the hygiene and regularly clean and ventilate the interior.
How do you cope with it? Steam cleaning, washing the seats, etc?

I am looking forward to hear your experiences.
Best,
Bostjan

I would say advoid frying as much as possible inside and find if able open a window on both sides of the van to get a through flow of air to let steam of cooking out.
Seat covers are a must for us just pop in washing mashines as required.( we have A Jackyards set they wash well :thumb )
But still find the good old fish and chips out of the paper is the best one for smells which stay lingering around when we get a new car I always seen how long I can put the family off before eating fish and chips inside. (Not run in until this has happened) :hello

We don't fry at all in ours. Portable gas rings are nice and easy.

We like a bacon butty when we're camping in the winter and/or when it's raining (which is a lot here in the Lakes!) :) so we just fry indoors and clean up quickly afterwards. We've had the van since new and it's 4 in September. In fact we've cooked anything we fancy in the van. I don't think it pongs. We're careful to cover the back seat as the only issue for us with potentially messy cooking is splashing.

IanE said:
We like a bacon butty when we're camping in the winter and/or when it's raining (which is a lot here in the Lakes!) :) so we just fry indoors and clean up quickly afterwards. We've had the van since new and it's 4 in September. In fact we've cooked anything we fancy in the van. I don't think it pongs. We're careful to cover the back seat as the only issue for us with potentially messy cooking is splashing.

IAgree. I use the cooker for what it was intended for bacon sarnie's i don't bother with the smell
It soon disappears.

We've also cooked all sorts and the van doesn't seem to retain any sort of smells.

We never used to cook anything in the van until we met IanE and his beloved other half in the lakes. They gave us a good talking to and we cook in there all the time now (except for bacon butties which are still done outside!)
I think ours still smells quite new even though it's 5 years old.

Although not stopping smells we have (no idea what it is called) a circular mesh device with a handle which you put over the pan to stop/catch spitting fat from those rashers

Meoncoast said:
Although not stopping smells we have (no idea what it is called) a circular mesh device with a handle which you put over the pan to stop/catch spitting fat from those rashers
Splatter guard :thumb

I cook everything.

With the sliding door open, roof raised, a couple of vents open I've had no problem with residual smells..

Except ...

A bacon sandwich once, depths of winter, probably had all ventilation closed, lingered for a couple of days.

At the end of the day it's a camper to be used as such. If I wasn't going to cook I would not have had a cali with a kitchen, then "life would have been a beach".... :lol:

Spaghetti Bol, sausages, always doing pancakes although I do toss them outside, etc. Open windows, side door if poss, lid on frying pan, etc. we do have a fold-up BBQ which we use outside. Also mini fe breeze plug in on the air fans and a small de-humidifier on the dashboard.
We were away for 3 weeks in the summer and now we're back home I really miss cooking in it. We also have a mini electric oven as our first night away was in 85mile winds and could not pop the roof...also my daughter can't survive weeks away without pizza.
Enjoy
Zebedee

Thanks for all the tips! However, I still miss some advices after a "damage" is already done... Any experience with steam cleaners and washing of seats?

bvirc said:
Thanks for all the tips! However, I still miss some advices after a "damage" is already done... Any experience with steam cleaners and washing of seats?
I've never got on very well with trying to clean the seats - when we get back from our hols I think I'll get the cali interior valeted.

Hello

I clean Cali seats with wet and dry vacuum cleaner once or twice a year. It looks and smels like new.

We don´t fry anything in our Cali :)

Best regards (Lep pozdrav :)

Car valeting companies can use a (nice smelling) smoke bomb device inside your van. I've not tried it but could be worth a try.

I don't think my grey water (waste water) tank is too sweet and when freshly drained, I get a bit of a whiff inside the van. Running some water from the tap seems to help (I suspect it fills a u bend and isolates the tank from the sink drain?)

Strangely we cooked almost all food on an outdoor burner last year (5 weeks in Europe) but hardly used it this year. Mind you, we did eat out rather a lot... :oops: