Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning Heater

T

tj56amj

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Anyone able to offer guidance on an electric awning heater (Vango Airhub Hexaway 2). I want something quiet, small and effective. All thoughts welcome, including advice of products to avoid.

Why not anyone can be uncomfortable, might have the kids kipping in it? just get a normal domestic fan heater and an RCD protected trailing socket. Just get one with variable power settings for those rather weak EHU's.

I'd probably go for one of those cheap small Oil filled radiators. You can pick them up for about 25 quid from most hardware shops.

It'll take a lot longer than a electric fan, but they radiate heat differently which in my mind would suit an awning better.

Why not anyone can be uncomfortable, might have the kids kipping in it? just get a normal domestic fan heater and an RCD protected trailing socket. Just get one with variable power settings for those rather weak EHU's.

Awnings are not insulated so you will lose most of the warm air from a heater.

If possible sit round a campfire before the kids go to bed and then they will be nice & warm before they get into bed, smaller non commercial sites are more likely to allow this. Also good fun if you get a bag of marshmallows to toast on the fire.

Investing in warmer bedding will give a better result, layers are better as they trap more air.

Vango do electric carpets which look like a good idea but Ive never used one.

Cheap fan heater with variable heat out put does an amazing job at keeping an awning / tent warm, the heat loss is not as much as you would expect.

A cheap fan heater is compact, Great for drying wet gear outside of the van, or adding to your comfort during inclement weather, colder evenings where sitting outside would be uncomfortable etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheap fan heater with variable heat out put does an amazing job at keeping an awning / tent warm, the heat loss is not as much as you would expect.

A cheap fan heater is compact, Great for drying wet gear outside of the van, or adding to your comfort during inclement weather, colder evenings where sitting outside would be uncomfortable etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep on EHU we just use one of these on the 1000w setting. Great to warm up the awning late at night or in the morning and cheap as chips
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006UJDGB0/?tag=eliteelect-21

We use a small ceramic fan heater from Aldi/ Lidl cant remember which but less than £20, keep an eye out for them on special buys. Variable heat output to keep the EHU happy and even has a digital thermostat. Compact in size and has a tilt switch to switch it off if it falls over. We have been so impressed we bought another. Keeps our awning to a reasonable temperature all night and is quiet enough to sleep with it running.

Personally I wouldn’t bother, however you could use your Cali heater, as per following thread, and pipe out through the sliding door/ sliding door window instead of piping upstairs.

Joking aside, we've found that our airhub hexaway is significantly warmer if you zip up the internal blinds over the plastic windows to improve insulation, and also go round outside tucking the flaps at the bottom of each panel underneath the edge of the floor to prevent draughts.

Anyone able to offer guidance on an electric awning heater (Vango Airhub Hexaway 2). I want something quiet, small and effective. All thoughts welcome, including advice of products to avoid.
I would have a look at the Kampa Diddy heater. If it falls over it switches itselfoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find we get a lot of solar gain so most of the time the awning is warm. But last trip we did throw in a tiny fan heater in the Cali and used it in the awning for the mornings (it was 6 deg outside) when having breakfast. It heated up the awning in no time.

We used a tiny Kampa Diddy in a drive away awning - extremely compact fitting easily in the rear Cali cupboard but with a decent output and safety cut out if it tips over

Back