Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning leg retaining clip

M

matt-k918

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi. Just back from a trip to snowdonia in my T6 Beach.
When I lifted the cover to lower the legs prior to winding the awning out, the legs just fell out, luckily not damaging the paint. The clip ("central clamp support arm") that should hold the legs up had just fallen out of the awning. It looks like it is just held by a self tapping screw into the aluminium, but obviously now the screw has pulled through the hole once it won't stay in place anymore.

Has anyone else had this happen? Can't find any mention using the search function (I have looked, honest!)

It'll be a trip to my local dealer for a warranty job in the next few days, but I can't see how they are going to fix it without replacing the aluminium rail. Will the VW techs dismantle and rebuild the awning, or do you think they'll just replace the lot?

Cheers
Matt

Hi. Just back from a trip to snowdonia in my T6 Beach.
When I lifted the cover to lower the legs prior to winding the awning out, the legs just fell out, luckily not damaging the paint. The clip ("central clamp support arm") that should hold the legs up had just fallen out of the awning. It looks like it is just held by a self tapping screw into the aluminium, but obviously now the screw has pulled through the hole once it won't stay in place anymore.

Has anyone else had this happen? Can't find any mention using the search function (I have looked, honest!)

It'll be a trip to my local dealer for a warranty job in the next few days, but I can't see how they are going to fix it without replacing the aluminium rail. Will the VW techs dismantle and rebuild the awning, or do you think they'll just replace the lot?

Cheers
Matt
More likely to replace.

cant you just put a bigger self tapping screw in?

cant you just put a bigger self tapping screw in?
I could, and would if it wasn't in warranty. However, if I do that and anything else goes wrong with the awning then it wouldn't be covered!

The dealer has looked and they are replacing the whole awning!