Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Securing awning legs

Sp0_0k

Sp0_0k

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
Got a problem with awning legs. When extended I can't fix them for a sturdy hold. The clips system looks weird. After a wind gust and some pressure on the awning the legs collapsed.
Am I missing some way to secure them?
The only way figured so far is to push the clip/lever inside when clicking in, Still doesn't hold secure enough.
Manual as always has nothing clear on it.

You need to lift the plastic clip UP to tighten the extende leg holding the awning ....

Oh silly me ;) was sure they will break this way.

I know what you mean, they do feel like they will snap when you lift them upwards.
You must make sure the metal clip that is inside the leg is in the correct position, I had to move the position up slightly and this allowed the plastic lever to rotate upwards. This may only be needed the first time that you lock the legs as now the metal clip is less stiff and seems to move to the correct position itself now. I think you will break the plastic part if the metal clip is not in the correct position. The movement of the plastic lever feels different when everything is in the right place

Last edited:
Am I the only one to miss the easy way of extending the awning - i.e. to roll out about a foot unsupported, then to extend the legs into the highest position, securing as above, and to position the legs at an angle out from the awning, then to continue to unwind the awning with the legs then taking the weight as you go - putting no strain on the awning, nor needing an assistant as the legs keep the leading edge at the right height throughout. i.e. like this:

that's the way I first saw it in my previous Fiamma instructions, works a treat.

I too was also fooled by the flimsy VW T6 plastic locks (the Fiamma wing nuts version is much better) and was very relieved when the first one didn't snap off in my hand on Day Two! - it is explained in the English handbook version as I did check before trying it :talktothehand

Last edited:
ps: if the canvas is rippling like that in the wind as per the video I'd get some tent pegs in sharpish, and if the wind picked up any further I'd have it reeled in!

My aforementioned old Fiamma F45S got whipped up vertically by a gust of wind out of nowhere last year & sheared off one of the aluminium mounting brackets slamming up vertically into the raised poptop, an expensive lesson :Nailbiting

Also think you better close the sliding door before you wind in/out , the awning may scratch over the top.....

And the most important mistake they do in the video is sitting down without taking out the bottle of wine out and some glasses....

Last edited:
I always peg the legs, using Rock Pegs, but also Guy ropes that clip into the Awning Channel on the Cali Awning so that I can tension the awning material properly.

Does the Cali come with much in the way of securing the awning or is it worth getting additional stuff. I could read the the various brochures but to be honest I've stopped believing them.

Mike

Mine came with 4 tent pegs that go through the holes in the foot of the leg, 2 on each leg.
Occasionally I put a guy rope on each leg with a couple more pegs, if its blustery then that then its wound in!

Mine came with 4 tent pegs that go through the holes in the foot of the leg, 2 on each leg.
Occasionally I put a guy rope on each leg with a couple more pegs, if its blustery then that then its wound in!
Thanks I will pick up some guy ropes

Mike

I went for the Fiamma Tie Down kit as well but the dealer only had the earlier version that goes over the two bars that hold the awning out and then you peg each end of it. There is a spring built into it to allow a bit of flexing in the wind. They seem to do it in black or yellow. All packs into a very small box and being webbing doesn't tangle easily, costs about £12.
image0003.jpg

I noticed the foot of the awning legs getting damaged through hammering and removing
the pegs, so i got these.- you´ll find them under-Peggy Peg.shopping.jpeg

ps: if the canvas is rippling like that in the wind as per the video I'd get some tent pegs in sharpish, and if the wind picked up any further I'd have it reeled in!

My aforementioned old Fiamma F45S got whipped up vertically by a gust of wind out of nowhere last year & sheared off one of the aluminium mounting brackets slamming up vertically into the raised poptop, an expensive lesson :Nailbiting

>>>Hirsty, when you say expensive.... how expensive - we've just done this, this evening and are sitting her somewhat worried. So silly of us :-(

Back