Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wanted Awning material

Lambeth Cali

Lambeth Cali

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi I thought I noticed someone offering a damaged awning a week ago. Our material got a hole in it in a hail storm last week.

1723909760333.jpeg

I would rather avoid the £300+ OEM cloth and making one seems less than easy. If anyone has the part I would love it. Otherwise I’ll leave it until 2025 to fix or replace.

Hi I thought I noticed someone offering a damaged awning a week ago. Our material got a hole in it in a hail storm last week.

View attachment 127938

I would rather avoid the £300+ OEM cloth and making one seems less than easy. If anyone has the part I would love it. Otherwise I’ll leave it until 2025 to fix or replace.
Hi, it was me that was posting the whole damaged awning mentioned in your thread. I have literally just dismantled this awning and have separated the fabric from the cassette. As I mention in my post It's not ripped but it's an older fabric that was produced in two pieces and the glue has began to come apart. (A known design flaw).

Now it is off the vehicle and out of the cassette it should be reasonably straight forward to reattach the 300mm that has come apart with an adhesive.

This may look better than a patch repair, the awning fabric alone is now available if this is something you might be interested in please get in touch.

kind regards Dan

Last edited:
Hi, it was me that was posting the whole damaged awning mentioned in your thread. I have literally just dismantled this awning and have separated the fabric from the cassette. As I mention in my post It's not ripped but it's an older fabric that was produced in two pieces and the glue has began to come apart. (A known design flaw).

Now it is off the vehicle and out of the cassette it should be reasonably straight forward to reattach the 300mm that has come apart with an adhesive.

This may look better than a patch repair, the awning fabric alone is now available if this is something you might be interested in please get in touch.

kind regards Dan
Thanks Dan,
I think it’s been reclassified as ‘non urgent’. Patched up until next summer. If have the cash I may get a whole new awning or just live with it as is.

Thanks Dan,
I think it’s been reclassified as ‘non urgent’. Patched up until next summer. If have the cash I may get a whole new awning or just live with it as is.
You may be aware of a thread where the awning material was replaced with an aftermarket single piece at a very cost effective price. Do a search and you may find. That's an option too.

You may be aware of a thread where the awning material was replaced with an aftermarket single piece at a very cost effective price. Do a search and you may find. That's an option too.
The stripey one?? Yes but then the supplier jacked the prices up. Completely DIY - cutting and sewing- seemed a bit too much phaffage.

I tend to price a good tradesperson at £300 a day minimum. If something looks like it would take me all day or I could buy for £300, I often plump for the latter!

Definitely now a 2025 job.