Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof material leaking☹️

M

Mike & Ute

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Just had a rather wet week in Wales in our T6 Ocean.
Apart from rain coming through the small mesh vent in the top of the roof, which we can see, it appears that the material is not waterproof as the mattress was soaked half down its length.
Anybody else had similar problems ?

Nope , we use a topper in heavy rain....;)

Rather strange , a high top with a leaking canvas...:D
Do change your verhicle details please.

Just had a rather wet week in Wales in our T6 Ocean.
Apart from rain coming through the small mesh vent in the top of the roof, which we can see, it appears that the material is not waterproof as the mattress was soaked half down its length.
Anybody else had similar problems ?

Had a few drops of water in the corner after closing the roof after a downpour. I put that down to the material wicking under compression.

I've bought a topper for my Cali in anticipation. One of my reasons being that I live in flats and have height restriction in my parking bay. Drying out roof therefore could be a problem. One thing I can't recall reading is about use of treatments for the canvas. Some great products for soft tops and the like and wondered if anyone uses them on the Cali?

Mike

Agree with Meoncoast. In our hired T 5 ( two trips) . Only had a problem when I pushed against the canvas in my sleep.

Definitely on wish list . Need delivery of Cali first

Nick sells them as fast as he gets them in - might be wise to get an order in soon to be sure. Definitely worth the investment...

Having read much about this and having lived with a winterized motorhome for ten years the Calitopper was the first thing I ordered. There is an instruction video on Youtube which is essential watching. A small step is handy to assist fitting which only takes about five minutes and is well worth the effort. Also do yourself a favour and carry some good quality ear plugs. You will be warm dry and sleep like a baby.

The internal liner from Nick works brilliantly. Keeps it warmer and prevents any wick effect causing the mattress or bedding to get wet. I can't recommend it or Nick highly enough.

Having read much about this and having lived with a winterized motorhome for ten years the Calitopper was the first thing I ordered. There is an instruction video on Youtube which is essential watching. A small step is handy to assist fitting which only takes about five minutes and is well worth the effort. Also do yourself a favour and carry some good quality ear plugs. You will be warm dry and sleep like a baby.

If you have the cosi you don't even have to spend five minutes fitting it because it stays in the roof all the time. It does a really good job of keeping normal heavy rain out although the canvas gets wet. The topper is good for horizontal Cumbrian rain.

I was up the lakes the other week and knew it was a bad forecast so left my roof up to test it out , after six hours of strong wind and horizontal rain it started beading inside near the back hinge with a pool soon running along the inside channel. Presume that due to the wind it was causing the fabric to constantly brush against the hinge. Also had a larger pool forming from the vent. I was on a hard pitch with van side on to weather. Have contacted the dealer and he was going to contact the " tech department " but he did state that the fabric is not water proof. I normally travel alone and wondering if I will be able to erect topper on my own ??

The fabric isn't waterproof but its resilience to water will improve if it's allowed to get wet a few times, (the fibres thicken apparently). I am a big fan of the cozy, so much so I have stopped using a van orak I purchased before this forum started.

Dixie.
I bought a 400mm high folding step and I Manage to get the topper on with no help. I suppose its down to personal preference but getting the fabric wet did not seem a good idea so I opted for the topper. The instructions are very important to follow. There is a video on Youtube...... Travel Well.

PS.... Does it not seem odd to you that we pay £50,000 for a vehicle and then do not seem in the slightest bit upset and discuss it with such calm when the water gets in?

If you have the Internal Cozy then you still have to dry the canvas before storing it, even for a few days. This could be a bit difficult in the UK climate, especially in Winter and Spring and Autumn.:thumb

Thanks for your reply Glyn.
I use my van primarily for going to the Lakes and Scotland for walking trips and mainly in winter so the topper order will now be placed. I'm not sure I was calm when i found the water on returning from the pub !!!
Friends think it unbelievable that something so expensive is not water proof and find it difficult to argue with them. Love my Cali though.
Thanks for the advice

If you have the Internal Cozy then you still have to dry the canvas before storing it, even for a few days. This could be a bit difficult in the UK climate, especially in Winter and Spring and Autumn.:thumb

Same issue in Denmark. Thats why I decided for the CaliTopper. It will keep the canvas dry, and is more easy to bring inside to dry during wet seasons.

Besides our VW dealer just changed the canvas on our T5. They made a hole, while preparing delivery. So now we have the new T6 grey canvas. Looks great withe the grey on the car, and we changed from 2 to 3 windows. but I am not sure if the new is better more wind and waterproof quality.

Does anyone have a comment on T5 vs T6 canvas quality? It seems more open in the structure and more artificial-nylon-like, the T5 was more cotton-like.

Has anyone tried waterproofing the canvas with something like http://www.nikwax.co.uk/en-gb/products/productdetail.php?productid=16 ?
I've been asking the same but got no bites.

I've got some of this for when I get my Cali but I have bought a topper as I have restricted height on my parking bay and will have issues drying out a wet roof.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004JNRRPA/?tag=eliteelect-21

It's used for amongst other things interiors and for soft tops so should work. Will be doing the Alcantara seats with it as well.

Mike...Having had VW vehicles for many years I would feel uneasy about treating the roof canvas before speaking to their technical department. What you are suggesting sounds good and very reasonable but there must be a very ,very good reason VW do not do it. Proceed with extreme caution.

Can anyone remember the days before technical fabrics like Goretex?

you either bought a "waterproof" and ended up wetter inside than outside or bought something like a Blacks "Ventile" anorak and compromised knowing that the closeness of the weave would keep most rain from penetrating in whilst the permeable fabric would allow body moisture and condensation out.

I personally would not want a "waterproof" Cali tent. The first time I boiled a kettle the condensation would be dripping everywhere. The Cali is made for cooking in. Just making dinner for one would leave the place dripping for hours if it was sealed.

To pop on a goretex type roof would simply be not cost effective. So just as in my old camping days I feel that I am given a choice. Accept that capillary action of rubbing against the inside of the tent would draw moisture in, accept that in extremes of conditions moisture can penetrate, accept the compromise or buy a topper for the cali just as I bought a flysheet for my tent.

Mike...Having had VW vehicles for many years I would feel uneasy about treating the roof canvas before speaking to their technical department. What you are suggesting sounds good and very reasonable but there must be a very ,very good reason VW do not do it. Proceed with extreme caution.
Thanks Glyn. I did wonder why nobody did which was one reason for putting on here. I shall avoid then as primary reason for getting it was the seats. It was when I watched the video on it being applied to a soft top that it looked like a no brainer. Obviously not.