Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning or not

I have a Vango Hexaway Airbeam. I have used it over a dozen times and never had a puncture. I can erect the whole thing, including carpet in 40 minutes. I have never taken it down wet. I love forecasting the weather and is easy with apps nowadays. Loads more storage space and room for eating when weather is rough. Simply love it.

What are peoples views on the use of drive away awnings. They all seem a real faff to put up etc but the additional space seems a significant bonus.
Always struggle with this recurring debate. Those who travel 2 up and stay in one place for only a night or 2 at a time swearing that an awning is a waste of time and/or space is of no relevance to a family of 4 who are looking to stay put for a week in the Great British weather. Context is particularly important here, and so often lacking from the both the ask and responses rendering them pretty much meaningless.

I sit on the family of 4 side of things, with 2 x early teens who fight like cat and dog (I’m told it’s normal) if confined to the same area for any length of time. Have found a Vango Galli to be absolutely brilliant for extended stays, often for a week or more, and through some particularly ‘challenging’ weather. But we take a pup tent and sometimes a Quescha Base seconds, for shorter stays (normally if rain is expected). Touring without anything was fine when the kids were a bit younger but we’ll take the pup tent with us when we go back up to Scotland next Easter - it goes up in a minute, not much longer to take down and throwing one or other of the kids out of the van for the night will hopefully provide that little bit of extra space needed to keep the peace.

So I’m a big fan of awnings in certain scenarios, not so much in others. All depends on what you want to use it for. But having the option is key for us, and the relatively small investment in the awning, pup tent and base seconds provides the flexibility we need to get the best out of the van in many different scenarios.

As someone who camps rarely with just 2 of us & have managed with 5 + the dog in an Ocean occasionally I totally agree with Kernowboy.
The time of year & weather also make a huge difference, just two of us sitting outside in the evenings in summer is fine, 5 up in the van in Northumberland in November is a totally different prospect.
The longer we intend staying in one place, the more chance that we are going to put up an awning.

Back