Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Factory awning or something better?

Paul Burgess

Paul Burgess

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hello all, wondering about awnings. I know the Cali comes as standard with one now, do people use it, or is there a better aftermarket alternative / is a drive away better / is there something cool that works with the factory one? Views appreciated. Thanks.

We have the factory Awning also a Comfortz Awning room. Consisting of 3 panels with windows and zip up doorway.. Always put it up when we stay anywhere longer than 1 night. To me personally the awning is a must buts that just my opinion.

We didn't choose one as wanted a stealth option for overnight stops. Some love them and add a room, whilst others have bought a drive away awning. It's completely dependent on how you intend using the van

We never really stay on a site for more than 3 days and take bikes with us so the drive away wouldn’t suit us..But everyone wants something different when they are camping..

We started off without the fitted awning & managed for a few years with an attachable canopy. But the bloody thing kept blowing out / down / away, so we got a Thule one fitted. It has been great. We have the side panels and also a driveaway awning tent, both of which have their uses.

We started off without the fitted awning & managed for a few years with an attachable canopy. But the bloody thing kept blowing out / down / away, so we got a Thule one fitted. It has been great. We have the side panels and also a driveaway awning tent, both of which have their uses.
Hello all, wondering about awnings. I know the Cali comes as standard with one now, do people use it, or is there a better aftermarket alternative / is a drive away better / is there something cool that works with the factory one? Views appreciated. Thanks.
o
If buying new I would go with vwii supplied awning which is a Thule awning. Lots of add ons available to extend the use of the awning. But main reason to buy awning from vw is that it will be covered by your warranty

Note that most (all?) driveaway awnings can connect to the channel in the factory fitted awning. But ours does leave a bit of a gap between the wall of the drive away awning ‘tunnel’ and the outside wall of the van that would be neater if it attached direct to the van.

Getting an Ocean, but intend to get a Driveaway awning as we tend to basecamp rather that flit around. The Thule awning will attach to driveway either wound in or as some peeps do fully wind out, gives you a lot real estate. Invest in the storm lashing as well, our experience in the MoHo is they can flap in a breeze. You will get visited by the you don’t want to do that brigade when you are sat under your wind out on a breezy day. never had an issue with some pegs holding the legs and my two storm lashings