Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning replacement under warranty

Marc Oldman

Marc Oldman

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi good folks. I have a 65 plate T6 Cali which is beyond it’s manufacturer warranty, but covered by the Das Welt warranty as I purchased it < 1 year ago. My issue is that the join in the awning canvas has melted in the heat and VW are refusing to repair / replace under warranty.

I think there’s a clear not fit for purpose case here, as well as evidence on here of awnings being replaced under warranty with similar damage.

Does anyone have any thoughts / experiences / war stories / advice on this matter that they’d be willing to share? Thank you all in advance.

Hi good folks. I have a 65 plate T6 Cali which is beyond it’s manufacturer warranty, but covered by the Das Welt warranty as I purchased it < 1 year ago. My issue is that the join in the awning canvas has melted in the heat and VW are refusing to repair / replace under warranty.

I think there’s a clear not fit for purpose case here, as well as evidence on here of awnings being replaced under warranty with similar damage.

Does anyone have any thoughts / experiences / war stories / advice on this matter that they’d be willing to share? Thank you all in advance.

Ask the dealer to put in writing the reason why they believe that a known manufacturing fault is not covered under the 1 year warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a known fault and the awning should be replaced under warranty. The number of warranty claims is the main reason they switched to ones with one piece fabric.

There are many many posts about this problem on here and all I can remember resulted in a warranty replacement.

e.g. several folks confirming it was replaced under warranty but not extended or after market warranty.

Last edited:

It really depends on the Warranty small print. As some have found with the Extended, supposedly Factory Warranty, there are more exclusions. It should be covered but be prepared for the Used Vehicle Warranty you have to exclude it.
My awning is coming upto 5 yrs now and has been out in temperatures of 40c and is still in one piece.

I was fortunate with mine as it went at 2years old and was replaced.

I don't really know if it is a known fault. This means that VW has to admit that it is known, and I doubt that.
You could only mention that you know xx people with the same problem, and thus need to offer you at least a huge discount. You could also try to tell them that you will replace the awning yourself, so they can't charge you for the mounting?

Or am I just dreaming?

There seems to be a significant number of us with split awning problems, our T5 awning split during a hail storm in the Pyrenees last autumn, eventually we tracked down a one piece replacement from Thule sold by Rose Awnings and this week have had it fitted by Lincs Caravan and Motorhome Services who are located in Caenby, just north of Lincoln. Greatly relieved, looks like a really nice job, very quick, very reasonable

There seems to be a significant number of us with split awning problems, our T5 awning split during a hail storm in the Pyrenees last autumn, eventually we tracked down a one piece replacement from Thule sold by Rose Awnings and this week have had it fitted by Lincs Caravan and Motorhome Services who are located in Caenby, just north of Lincoln. Greatly relieved, looks like a really nice job, very quick, very reasonable
Glad you got it sorted,

to help others :

what was the cost of the replacement One piece material £ ?
& fitting £ ?

May or may not be the correct size in terms of projection but looks like cost for a new complete awning is similar and cheaper if DIY fitting