Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning storage/cooker unit

Ginger&Grey

Ginger&Grey

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Afternoon all,
Do people have any recommendations for wardrobe/storage for use in a drive away awning? I've been looking at the camping wardrobes but they seem quite pricey! Ideally want something that will pack away quite small. Also keen to get a stand alone cooker unit (for all that smelly food we want to keep out of the Cali!) Any thoughts?

I have 2 Kampa Quartermaster units but Im not sure they are still manufactured. They work brilliantly in the Beach and would be useful in an awning too.

We have a CampingGaz twin burner and grill unit which has screw in legs. Cost about £50 a few years ago.
Runs off a 907 bottle (or smaller ones) so same bottle can be used in the Cali if necessary.

Afternoon all,
Also keen to get a stand alone cooker unit (for all that smelly food we want to keep out of the Cali!) Any thoughts?
How do you manage the cooking at home?

Not being rude, but why buy an all singing camper van or motorhome or caravan if you don't want to cook on the facilities?

I'm not decrying BBQ's etc: as that is different type of cooking etc: and you wouldn't use one of those in the kitchen at home.

We have a two ring electric hob that we do most of our cooking on. Stands on the table outside the van. Plugs into a socket on the back of the mains lead where it goes into the van

small ring 1000w ideal for 5 or 6 amp supplies. large ring 1500w. We get excited if we can use both.

small ring 1000w ideal for 5 or 6 amp supplies. large ring 1500w. We get excited if we can use both.
Yes, in Spain we boil up the potatoes and veggies on one ring, switch it off and cook the meat on the other ring. Keep switching off and on as required but not both! Nothing like a challenge over a glass of wine in the evening.
France is more generous with it's electricity so it is worth risking both rings.

How do you manage the cooking at home?
Home kitchen has some decent ventilation getting rid of smelliest possible stuff.
VW developed all fancy kitchen and didn't even bother to put the most basic fan. They close the window with stove's opening lid, the only possible way for cooking fumes to get out.
When rarely cooking inside beach during nasty weather I have a fan that mounts into the side window.
Works with mosquito net for hot weather as well.

We have a two ring electric hob that we do most of our cooking on. Stands on the table outside the van. Plugs into a socket on the back of the mains lead where it goes into the van
An electric multi-cooking pot proved great for us for years. Insane efficiency. Like 400-600w max on frying mode.
Plan to get it on inverter on extra battery to cook without a hookup.
Can cook lots of healthy stuff in that pot as well.

Home kitchen has some decent ventilation getting rid of smelliest possible stuff.
VW developed all fancy kitchen and didn't even bother to put the most basic fan. They close the window with stove's opening lid, the only possible way for cooking fumes to get out.
When rarely cooking inside beach during nasty weather I have a fan that mounts into the side window.
Works with mosquito net for hot weather as well.
I just open the window or windows if necessary, at home or in the Cali. But then you've been doing it a lot longer than me.

An electric multi-cooking pot proved great for us for years. Insane efficiency. Like 400-600w max on frying mode.
Plan to get it on inverter on extra battery to cook without a hookup.
Can cook lots of healthy stuff in that pot as well.
Your leisure battery won't last long then at 600w.

with 150ah 2-3hours cooking easily. The post above doesn't say about inverter on a leisure battery. Should connect directly to a battery with pretty sick wires anyway. Some decent big battery sits nicely at the bottom of the storage box.

Afternoon all,
Do people have any recommendations for wardrobe/storage for use in a drive away awning? I've been looking at the camping wardrobes but they seem quite pricey! Ideally want something that will pack away quite small. Also keen to get a stand alone cooker unit (for all that smelly food we want to keep out of the Cali!) Any thoughts?

We have a twin burner Calor gas stove but find it is too big for storage, so have for many years used a single burner stove on a table. We do of course use the van cooker, especially when away without an awning. Remember though to be aware of the issues of potential fire risk and CO levels when cooking indoors, though.

Back