Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awnings

B

Barbarajohn

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi
When booking sites I am asked if we have an awning.
Does the cali pull out canopy count or are they referring to full size tent type drive away awnings. Thanks

Hi
When booking sites I am asked if we have an awning.
Does the cali pull out canopy count or are they referring to full size tent type drive away awnings. Thanks
I’ve always taken it as the latter. I consider the California’s as a sun/rain shade.

Agree with WG. The campsite concern is that awnings can stay up for several days and damage the grass.
Few people do as requested, lifting ground sheets during the day when people are out doing and not using the awning.

Agree with WG. The campsite concern is that awnings can stay up for several days and damage the grass.
Few people do as requested, lifting ground sheets during the day when people are out doing and not using the awning.
Many thanks.

A lot of this is about precautions for fire etc. The cali and ‘awning’ is a very small and efficient footprint. Some people come with a huge caravan and huge fully featured awning with dog run and two cars. So explain it is a camper with sun awning. You will be fine!

What if you have the side attachments? Does it become a full awning?
Most of the sites I've been on the awning is on hard standing and doesn't reach the grass.

What if you have the side attachments? Does it become a full awning?
Most of the sites I've been on the awning is on hard standing and doesn't reach the grass.
I should think that if it contains a lot of “stuff” and it‘s being used for storage I would say yes, it’s an awning. If you are happy to wind it in/out anytime you want/need I would say no.

Often campsites ask because they have narrower pitches if you’re not putting out an awning (they’re usually cheaper) or it’s on a standing that can’t be pegged into (eg, Cheltenham racecourse, CMHC, for most of the year you can only camp on the carpark hard standing).

Can anyone advise please, do I need a side tie down kit if using power pegs on a comfortz awning, also would a comfortz awning need an awning pich with the c and mc club? Thankyou.

Regards pitch question, if you go for a non awning pitch you don’t necessarily know what size you’ll get or what surface you’ll be on. You could be on concrete, tarmac, etc and not able to peg at all. It would be a good idea to contact the site itself before booking.

Some sites don’t see a wind out as an awning, but if you use sides or a “room” they do.

Yes I'm just in discussion with a site for this weekend - they're happy with the wind-out canopy but if I want to put sides on it they will charge for an awning (£15 per night!!).