Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Securing T6 awning rail

Jamie Eborall

Jamie Eborall

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi everyone. Just got back from our 1st trip and loved the new Cali. We camped at polzeath right on the cliff face and my awning rail kept moving. We didn't go for a roll out canopy as bought an outdoor revolution drive away awning. Is there any tips for securing both the van awning rail and also the figure of 8 drive away nylon section. Many thx.

Hi everyone. Just got back from our 1st trip and loved the new Cali. We camped at polzeath right on the cliff face and my awning rail kept moving. We didn't go for a roll out canopy as bought an outdoor revolution drive away awning. Is there any tips for securing both the van awning rail and also the figure of 8 drive away nylon section. Many thx.
Was it pulling out of the tent adapter?

Hi mate. It was doing 2 things. Moving from left to right and yes the actual rend adapter figure 8 but kept pulling out as the wind was so strong.

Hi mate. It was doing 2 things. Moving from left to right and yes the actual rend adapter figure 8 but kept pulling out as the wind was so strong.
There are several mentions of the kador strip pulling out of the VW tent adapter in threads. We have the same problem. It seems the rubber opens up and the strip comes out... Looking for solutions and have asked @Everything VW California to look to see if there is a larger 8 or 9mm to 6mm kador that could help.
The figure 8 plastic strip, yes, seems to slide up and down too. I've got two end pieces I've cut to length, and made with blanking plugs glued in, which has helped a little, but the gaps at the joins still grow... Been looking for longer pieces, but only found them on eBay with silly postage.

Thanks again. I used to go caravanning and used awning rail end plugs so was thinking of getting a couple of those - 10mm. I agree a 8 of 9 mm to 6 mm tent adaptor would be much better.

Thanks Guys - Looby would you leave that in whilst driving to secure the tent convertor rail.. as although the rail moves I wouldn't imagine it would ever come out.

Thanks Guys - Looby would you leave that in whilst driving to secure the tent convertor rail.. as although the rail moves I wouldn't imagine it would ever come out.

We haven't tried leaving them in as we only use them occaisionally when using the roof topper.

The actual rail moves?
Mine's solid, it's the kador piping that won't hold.

Yeah the actual rail moves a bit. I think maybe some glue in the actual van rail or maybe a small black screw

There is a loop at the end of my kador strip and I tie a piece of cord through it and then along the top at the back to the screw on near side of van (the screw that the topper hooks fasten on with). Haven't had an issue of it coming away in fairly severe winds since.

Hello. I know this is 3 years later, but wondering if anyone found any >6mm Kador. We have the same problem - the Kador rips out of the rail on the van (we don't have a pull-out awning).
We have a Khyam awning which (I think) is a little too short for the van, as the Kador is pulled downwards, obstructing the door if it is not pulled tight enough. But, if it is pulled tight enough so the door opens and shuts properly, any slight wind pulls the Kador out of the van. We were hoping to find a Kador strip with a bigger joining diameter to stop this happening, but haven't found one yet.

Hello. I know this is 3 years later, but wondering if anyone found any >6mm Kador. We have the same problem - the Kador rips out of the rail on the van (we don't have a pull-out awning).
We have a Khyam awning which (I think) is a little too short for the van, as the Kador is pulled downwards, obstructing the door if it is not pulled tight enough. But, if it is pulled tight enough so the door opens and shuts properly, any slight wind pulls the Kador out of the van. We were hoping to find a Kador strip with a bigger joining diameter to stop this happening, but haven't found one yet.
You can buy single strips with one tube and a piece of material.
Like this...
We ended up stitching together two, an 8mm and a 6mm the 8mm stayed in the awning rail, no problem.

You can buy single strips with one tube and a piece of material.
Like this...
We ended up stitching together two, an 8mm and a 6mm the 8mm stayed in the awning rail, no problem.
Thanks.
I also found another post in a different forum and have now purchased a 7x7 strip. Will be trying that out in a week or so.

Thanks.
I also found another post in a different forum and have now purchased a 7x7 strip. Will be trying that out in a week or so.
Hi , I’ve been trying to find a solution for this as well. Did your 7x7 strip work? Where did you buy it from please?
Thanks

Back