Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Baby sleeping clothing

E

Enzo.vari

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi all,

Currently on the exciting adventure of committing to a Cali. We've got a 10 month old daughter and decided to rent one in a couple weeks time just to see how we get on with the little one before pushing the button. Some really good stuff on here regarding sleeping locations, cheers all.

What I havent managed to find in my search is hints and tips on baby clothing for sleeping. Some mention of sleeping bag but not sure how suitable they would be for a 10 month old? Any advice?

We are going to be staying in and around the North East Scotland, mid-September. Not going to be very cold this time of year but certainly don't think the night time growbag we use in the house would be suitable.

Any advice appreciated.

Hi all,

Currently on the exciting adventure of committing to a Cali. We've got a 10 month old daughter and decided to rent one in a couple weeks time just to see how we get on with the little one before pushing the button. Some really good stuff on here regarding sleeping locations, cheers all.

What I havent managed to find in my search is hints and tips on baby clothing for sleeping. Some mention of sleeping bag but not sure how suitable they would be for a 10 month old? Any advice?

We are going to be staying in and around the North East Scotland, mid-September. Not going to be very cold this time of year but certainly don't think the night time growbag we use in the house would be suitable.

Any advice appreciated.
The Lullaby Trust offers advice on safe sleeping for infants, including safe bedding options.

Hi all,

Any advice appreciated.

We used a thicker grow bag thingy...
Baby slept with mum downstairs. Nice and warm. Dad in the roof

Thanks. Just found some that went up to 3.5tog. Think that's plenty.
That's probably the same sleeping arrangements we will apply. Although baby gets put down about 7. Not sure how we can sustain being super quiet from 7pm onwards..........

We used 2.5tog grow bag, along with warmer fleecy pjs, when ours were younger. That was at festivals in a travel cot in a tent. You'll be in your van with a heater if needed, so nice and cosy.
Why do you have to be super quiet, let them get use to the noise :thumb

Thanks. Just found some that went up to 3.5tog. Think that's plenty.
That's probably the same sleeping arrangements we will apply. Although baby gets put down about 7. Not sure how we can sustain being super quiet from 7pm onwards..........

Put to bed at 7.
Then mum and dad back outside. Invest in some nice warm blankets for sitting out. We found a couple in Switzerland and have used them ever since.

It’s a bit of a headache when they are really small. Thankfully now, our little one is up in the roof with Dad. Which means when it’s really cold we can sit downstairs if needed, but we still try and sit out and stargaze as much as possible

Put to bed at 7.
Then mum and dad back outside. Invest in some nice warm blankets for sitting out. We found a couple in Switzerland and have used them ever since.

It’s a bit of a headache when they are really small. Thankfully now, our little one is up in the roof with Dad. Which means when it’s really cold we can sit downstairs if needed, but we still try and sit out and stargaze as much as possible

Yes we were thinking the same arrangement. The place we are renting from has a drive away awning as extra so going to get that. Makes sense to sit outside while baby gets to sleep.

How old was yours when you started camping with them if you don't mind me asking?

ISOTOP and the baby sleeps from 7pm upstairs (with safety net on!) while parents downstairs. A small electrical fan heater placed upstairs on a shelf attached to the front frame to keep it even more toastie if really cold.
20190901_164534.jpg

ISOTOP and the baby sleeps from 7pm upstairs (with safety net on!) while parents downstairs. A small electrical fan heater placed upstairs on a shelf attached to the front frame to keep it even more toastie if really cold.
View attachment 64983
that's a neat looking box heater. make / model?

Remember if you order now , by the time you get the Cali your girl will be out of the dipers....;)
The electric heater showed by @Calimili looks like the Ecomatic
They are brilliant but you need to reach deep in your pocket they are expencive.
I have one also and use it when on 220v hook up for a few years now , would not do without.

Remember if you order now , by the time you get the Cali your girl will be out of the dipers....;)
The electric heater showed by @Calimili looks like the Ecomatic
They are brilliant but you need to reach deep in your pocket they are expencive.
I have one also and use it when on 220v hook up for a few years now , would not do without.

haha! That's a very good point. I'm hearing 6 month delivery now from one of the dealers! Geepers!

Yes we were thinking the same arrangement. The place we are renting from has a drive away awning as extra so going to get that. Makes sense to sit outside while baby gets to sleep.

How old was yours when you started camping with them if you don't mind me asking?

I can't remember if its was 3 months old or 6.
We had a pop up tent for extra storage for the first year. Basically to dump the baby car seat and buggy and stuff.

Its now been ditched as i hate tents including drive away tents/awnings.
Its great to be back, to just the van:thumb

We went camping with our son when he was 2 weeks old - we were super nervous - end of April at Alpsee, Germany (quite warm though). As far as I remember: PJ and a thin blanket from Joolz. He slept between us downstairs, now we are all upstairs. Works for us.
4bb1dd0cb43b9d54abd1af184dc3056f.jpg

Daynap, you can see the Joolz blanket.

Thats looks comfy?

So the plan of attack for now is to have baby and mum sleep up top and dad down below. Considering getting one of those koodi pop up tents for baby (other thread on here mentioned them). I believe some of them can be black outs which baby is used to.

it should also be possible to form a small bed across the front seats. Just food for thoughts.
http://www.vw-beds.com/products/cab_bunk.html

We had one of the Hammocks in our T4 for my son. They are great as baby can sleep but you can still get on with things in the van without disturbing them too much; He slept in one of these sleeping bags:

Our baby sleeps with me, under a duvet so it's comfy and she can bf. She's often up chilling out in the evenings after the 6 and 5 year old are asleep upstairs.
She wears a sleepsuit and a Jojo fleece onsie, depending on the weather. It was about 10-16 degrees on our most recent holiday. She's 13 months.

We just took our 18 mo canvas camping for the first time (finally). We had him in a onesie then a 2.5 tog sleep ‘snuggler’ from jojo and a 2.5 gro bag on top. The snuggler was great actually so in the morning we took off the gro bag and he could run around nice and warm in the sleep snuggler. I think the trick is layers (and obviously following relevant safe sleeping advice). Put him down for a nap and it turned baking. Slipped the bag off as he slept. You’ll be much comfier in the van. Less exposure to temp changes.

Hi all,

Any advice appreciated.
We used merino wool sleep suits from Bambino Merino and a growbag. The wool always kept them warm. The kids even have merino pjs now that the use in UK. The back bit of the van is double glazed so quite snug.

Baby 24 months babysleepingbag with sleeves (fleece) , he sleeps in the trunk were we putted a Babymatras. So al the space for a warm cosy night inside! We do put the heather of the VW on just incase it gets to cold!