Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Calis and babies/toddlers

Cazza400

Cazza400

VIP Member
Looking for some advice on sleeping solutions for babies/toddlers in the roof. Anyone using a small travel cot up there? I have two children (5yr old and an 8 month old) and am looking for a solution for the little one who has outgrown her travel bassinet (and won't keep still anymore!). Help appreciated as always!

Hi my 5 and 8 year old go 'upstairs'. I also have a little one of 17 months and he says down with us (beach has a massive bed). The going to sleep bit is "fun" with the small one as he just wants to wriggle about but he eventually settles. He is a bit young for 'upstairs' yet as is at the climb everything stage and he could probably jump the net. Once around 2 years old the can go up. You can make a crib of sorts behind the seats on the multiflex board to aid the dropping off bit (we can't as have comfort mattress).

We put a travel cot up in the roof with our 1.5yo, one of the Phil and Ted ones. works well as you can unzip the side and deal with any issues that way. Now she is 2.5 she sleeps up there in her special sleeping bag and we have a modified stair gate that lies flat over the hatch. She loves it but can sometimes take a bit to get to sleep as she likes to unzip the vents and look at whats going on...

we found the ncessity pop up travel cot good but didn't work brilliantly in the roof as it could tip over if she tried hard enough. We preferred to use it on the multiflex so it was wedged in but the tailgate and seat back and then my husband slept in the roof with me on the lower bed with travel cot rotated 90 degrees once I went to bed. We've now moved the youngest to sleep back in the roof at age 2.

I started this thread which you might find helpful http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/camping-and-travelling-with-young-children-some-tips.7890/

We sleep up top. The 2 kids sleep down stairs

We spent 2 months travelling around Spain last year.

We leave the back seats in place and The 8 month old slept on a mattress on the floor. It's the safest place no where to fall from.

The 2.5 year old sleeped on the parcel shelf. We thought it worked very well.

This summer we will probably need to roll out the bottom bed and they will sleep on there.