Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Back from another 8 week trip

sbmcd

sbmcd

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Just back from another 8 week Euro trip. Sailed Newcastle to Ijmuden with DFDS, booked as a large car as it fits the size spec.

Usual no plan apart from follow the weather, originally hoped to travel via Germany to Austria but weather directed us to the Ecrin NP in France where is was still hot at 1500 metres. From there the Quayras NP, Lac Sainte Croix then Provence.

Van behaved perfectly apart from a slow puncture (rear) on the day we were about to start our journey back north. I thought I'd fit the spare that should be easy, used the level ramps to make the spare easy to remove. Located the jack and breaker bar plus extension and set about the job. Wheel came off easily enough but soon discovered the centre of the spare was so corroded there was no way that was going to fit. Finally used the spare as an axle stand for safety while I used my plug repair kit to fix the punctured tyre.

Whole job took less than one hour, I suppose I could have called out breakdown service but that would have taken much longer for sure.

Only 2,523 miles this year, and my 180 bi turbo used no oil at all as usual and still drives like new at 130k miles.

PXL_20230813_155805072.jpg

PXL_20230823_065129499.jpg

PXL_20230828_154627575.jpg

PXL_20230902_091534611.jpg

PXL_20230903_140717208.jpg

PXL_20230906_150755499.jpg

PXL_20230911_144819632.jpg

PXL_20230913_125417090.jpg

PXL_20230919_153158334.jpg

PXL_20231003_075135239.jpg

Looks like some cracking campsites - where are they? We did the NC500 a couple of weeks ago which was great, but thought we might head for somewhere warmer next year!

Also, which tyre repair kit do you have - there are loads available and I'm sure a fair few of them are rubbish, it would be great to have a recommendation. Did the repair hold out ok and did you get it professionally repaired when you got back?

Nice trip, I took my 12 year old away for the last two weeks of the summer holidays and we ended up in the Gorge du Verdon. It is a beautiful area.

Nice trip, I took my 12 year old away for the last two weeks of the summer holidays and we ended up in the Gorge du Verdon. It is a beautiful area.
We spend some time there this year at Salle sur Verdon and Castellane,it is beautiful and usually a good area for weather when the weather turns in the high alps, and only 3 - 4 hours drive.

Looks like some cracking campsites - where are they? We did the NC500 a couple of weeks ago which was great, but thought we might head for somewhere warmer next year!

Also, which tyre repair kit do you have - there are loads available and I'm sure a fair few of them are rubbish, it would be great to have a recommendation. Did the repair hold out ok and did you get it professionally repaired when you got back?
Top photo is at La Berard campsite in the Ecrin NP
Second at Ailefroid also in the Ecrins NP
Third as Salle sur Verdon.
4,5,6. And 7 wild spots
8 at St Andre Les Alps.

The kit I use I got from Demon Tweeks, small kit for motor bikes but I've added extra repair strings and glue over time. If the repair is on a slow and it's not been run flat I'm happy to just plug it as a permanent repair but if it's been run flat it's likely there is internal damage so any repair would be temporary and require internal inspection.

It is usually possible to repair the fronts without taking the wheel off, just need to find the leak point and turn the steering to make it accessible. I have repaired a rear while still on the van but it depends where the puncture is located.

Last edited:

Used this every time, never had an issue

Top photo is at La Berard campsite in the Ecrin NP
Second at Ailefroid also in the Ecrins NP
Third as Salle sur Verdon.
4,5,6. And 7 wild spots
8 at St Andre Les Alps.

The kit I use I got from Demon Tweeks, small kit for motor bikes but I've added extra repair strings and glue over time. If the repair is on a slow and it's not been run flat I'm happy to just plug it as a permanent repair but if it's been run flat it's likely there is internal damage so any repair would be temporary and require internal inspection.

It is usually possible to repair the fronts without taking the wheel off, just need to find the leak point and turn the steering to make it accessible. I have repaired a rear while still on the van but it depends where the picture it located.
Great, thanks. We've been to Alp d'huez a couple of times, but only in the snow - we've always said we should go back in the summer!

We spend some time there this year at Salle sur Verdon and Castellane,it is beautiful and usually a good area for weather when the weather turns in the high alps, and only 3 - 4 hours drive.
We were in Annecy and the weather was rubbish so we headed south until the sun came out and ended up in Huttopia Verdon gorge. We did white water rafting in the gorge and paragliding at St Andre Les Alps. We had our paddle board with us and used it to explore the bottom of the gorge at Lac de Sainte Croix which was great but very busy, we also went up to Lac de Castillon which was very quiet and had a paddle there. It was great and seeing the vultures was awesome.

Back