Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Another wheels thread

S

spitzie

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
A few questions which you guys can hopefully answer.

After several tyre/wheel events that have happened to myself, family and friends over the last few months. I have decided I need to retrofit a spare wheel. Looking at the threads, there are a couple that mention lists of parts and putting together a kit. Did this happen or is it best just to go to the nearest VW dealer?

This question is for the other 204BHP drivers. What sort of tyre wear are you getting and on which tyres? I ask because I was going to do a front rear swap, but noticed that the fronts actually need replacing after just 8K miles. I don't drive like Ayrton Senna but neither am I driving Miss Daisy. I would have expected more out of them than that.

Last question for those with 255/45 R18 tyres and a spare. What size is the spare and do you know the size, bolt pattern and offset of the rim. As when I get the bits to attach a spare, I will look at the cost of spare wheel(rim & tyre) online.

Thanks

We sell the complete carrier in the club shop
I will sort you out with the link shortly

Thanks, must have missed it when I looked

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

A few questions which you guys can hopefully answer.

After several tyre/wheel events that have happened to myself, family and friends over the last few months. I have decided I need to retrofit a spare wheel. Looking at the threads, there are a couple that mention lists of parts and putting together a kit. Did this happen or is it best just to go to the nearest VW dealer?

This question is for the other 204BHP drivers. What sort of tyre wear are you getting and on which tyres? I ask because I was going to do a front rear swap, but noticed that the fronts actually need replacing after just 8K miles. I don't drive like Ayrton Senna but neither am I driving Miss Daisy. I would have expected more out of them than that.

Last question for those with 255/45 R18 tyres and a spare. What size is the spare and do you know the size, bolt pattern and offset of the rim. As when I get the bits to attach a spare, I will look at the cost of spare wheel(rim & tyre) online.

Thanks
I don't think you will be able to fit a 18" wheel + tyre in the spare wheel carrier. That's why VW don't supply one when you order 18" alloys.
The best alternative is a 17" steel with the appropriate tyre to give you the same rolling circumference as your present wheel/tyre combination and treat it as a " Get you to a tyre shop " spare. Maximum speed 50 mph and minimum distance 100 miles or less.

As far as tyre wear is concerned 8000 miles is pretty poor. I have a 180 4 Motion and get even tyre wear all round and 20,000 + miles on Goodyear Cargo Vector 4 Seasons on 17" rims.

Is the tyre wear even across the width of the tyre? Are the pressures correct?

Pressures are correct and wear is even. Looking on forums like brickyard, others have the same wear rate on their sportlines. The tyres are ContiSport5 which I have never had on a vehicle before, even my V8 cerb got 20k+ out of a set of michelins.

I looked on mytyres for a steel wheel package, but the webpage doesn't recognise my reg.
Does anybody know if thee values are correct for the a 17" wheel on a Cali.
Rim type 5-hole steel wheel
Size 7 x 17
Bolt pattern 5 x 120.00 x 65.00
Offset 55.00

You also need to check the load rating is suitable for a California, my VW OEM 17x7J steel wheels each have a 950kg load rating.

I changed my 16" steel for 18" alloys (255/45R18) and kept the 16" spare. I also carry an electric pump and sealant. It was my idea to use the 16" spare if needed for a ride to the nearest garage. I might be wrong that this would work?

you cannot use a 16" wheel due to front brake size.

have previously suggested the Amorak steel wheel with a 235 tyre being a possibility as the rim is narrower as well..
I have seen them for sale singly but just to show the type

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401402971849

The problem with normal 18" alloys is that the rim is 8.5" wide, 17" ones are 7" wide.
The carrier would hit the ground if an 8.5" wheel was there.

For simplicity 17" steel with 235/55/17 tyre or 215/60/17 tyre would be OK. Punctured wheel would have to inside Cali.

Ref tyre wear my 204 DSG 4M is getting through tyres pretty quickly, no obvious difference front to rear. 4,700 at present. Dunlop brand.

you cannot use a 16" wheel due to front brake size.

have previously suggested the Amorak steel wheel with a 235 tyre being a possibility as the rim is narrower as well..
I have seen them for sale singly but just to show the type

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401402971849

The problem with normal 18" alloys is that the rim is 8.5" wide, 17" ones are 7" wide.
The carrier would hit the ground if an 8.5" wheel was there.

For simplicity 17" steel with 235/55/17 tyre or 215/60/17 tyre would be OK. Punctured wheel would have to inside Cali.

Ref tyre wear my 204 DSG 4M is getting through tyres pretty quickly, no obvious difference front to rear. 4,700 at present. Dunlop brand.

@Kmann changed his original 16" Steel wheels for the 18" Alloys so doesn't have the larger front brakes, so no problem there.

I changed my 16" steel for 18" alloys (255/45R18) and kept the 16" spare. I also carry an electric pump and sealant. It was my idea to use the 16" spare if needed for a ride to the nearest garage. I might be wrong that this would work?

As long as the 16" wheel+Tyre circumference is very close to the 18" wheel+Tyre circumference then there shouldn't be a problem to use it as a " Get you out of trouble " spare.

He has a 204 engine which can't use 16" due to brake disc/caliper size.

Original question was directed at 204 owners.

@Kmann changed his original 16" Steel wheels for the 18" Alloys so doesn't have the larger front brakes, so no problem there.

As long as the 16" wheel+Tyre circumference is very close to the 18" wheel+Tyre circumference then there shouldn't be a problem to use it as a " Get you out of trouble " spare.
Ref original question/thread. Question is relating to a 204 nothing else in this instance.

He has a 204 engine which can't use 16" due to brake disc/caliper size.

I know :)

I have 16" since I only have 102 hp engine and smaller brake calibres. So my post was both an answer and a question. I think he will be all right with a 17" spare. Like @WelshGas writes, if the circumstance is close, it is doable (with both 16" and 17"). But an 18" 255 will not fit under the car.

I know :)

I have 16" since I only have 102 hp engine and smaller brake calibres. So my post was both an answer and a question. I think he will be all right with a 17" spare. Like @WelshGas writes, if the circumstance is close, it is doable (with both 16" and 17"). But an 18" 255 will not fit under the car.
Just didn't want spitzie thinking that he could use a 16" rim.

Fuliway never heard of that make. Mytyres do a very similar priced wheel package for an all season tyre but again a make I haven't heard of before.

Never looked at the tyre but as a spare that will never be on the road -hopefully- it was a possibility.
Personally I stick to top brands.

Alternatively buy a rim & put your own preferred brand of tyre on. Some very good part worn tyres could be a suitable cost saver, not less than 5mm tread.
Depends on what you have budgeted.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLKSWAGE...L-SIZE-17-STEEL-SPARE-WHEEL-RIM-/152201709928

I have done the same.
16 fine.
It’s the 180&204bhp guys that will need the 17s to fit over the larger brake calipers supplied with the bigger engines.

Thanks for all the useful info

Back