Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spare wheel cradle

C

CaliAM

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Help
The AA have just cross threaded the bolt on our spare wheel cradle, the bolt that screws into the bottom of the van, even the floor pan possibly. The spare is now only held on by one bolt..... any suggestions as to what to do now apart from put a claim in to the AA. Why can’t people just be more careful, he was just too lazy to lift the back end of the van to get better clearance for his tools!

There are YouTube videos on repairing cross threaded bolts and nuts. Search "repair cross threaded bolt".

I take it you mean the bolt is knackered ?

Did the AA acknowledge their fault? If so I wouldn’t touch it; either get it fixed properly by VW dealer and claim back or wait fro AA to propose their own preferred fix. It’s not essential so could be removed until fix complete.

I take it you mean the bolt is knackered ?
Either the bolt or the thread/nut in the floor of the van..... if it’s the bolt that should be easy to replace...... but the guy who fitted the replacement tyre said it was the nut thread....

Hi CaliAM

Unless you have an admission from the AA operative at the time of the incident, I think the AA will deny it was them. Particularly if it’s been to a third party Since the incident.

it is possible to drill and heli coil the stripped thread

if the damage to the threaded bush is not too bad, just use a tapered tap to re thread the bush and replace the bolt.

a local garage should be able to both of the above fixes if you don’t have the tools.

Hi CaliAM

Unless you have an admission from the AA operative at the time of the incident, I think the AA will deny it was them. Particularly if it’s been to a third party Since the incident.

it is possible to drill and heli coil the stripped thread

if the damage to the threaded bush is not too bad, just use a tapered tap to re thread the bush and replace the bolt.

a local garage should be able to both of the above fixes if you don’t have the tools.
Yeah, i think the AA will not accept responsibility too.....I’ll try a local garage to see how much damage is done. Thanks

It’s worth applying a small amount of copper grease to the new bolt. The thread has no protection from the elements (rain, dirt, road salt etc) so is always subject to corrosion.

Back