Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bad design, bad service...

G

GrandCalif911

Vehicle
Grand California 600
Hello,

I have to admit that I love my GC, and as well I am a little bit afraid of its reliability and VW service. It is a wonderful van, but not designed properly. I think that if they launch in the future a second version of it, more mature, it will be the perfect van to own. But so far, not so good...

One thing which happend to me : while starting the auxiliary heating system, parked, a significant quantity of smoke appeared under the van. It stopped after a 2 minutes. And since then, the heating works well, but the ventilation grill under the fridge is not working anymore (no air is getting out of it) while other ventilation gills in the car continue to work properly (hot air is getting out). It can happen of course, and it is maybe an easy fix. But as many owners, it is not my first issue neither.

But what is worse to me : my van is still under 2 years warranty until end of next week. So I contact my dealer to explain that I have a problem wich occured during the warranty period. And they replied to me that they dont have the time to observe the problem next week (even if it takes 30 seconds to confirm there is an issue with the hot air not getting out anymore from 1 ventilation grill), so they will have a look at it after the 2 years warranty end, and then I will have to pay for the repair because it will be after the warranty. I really don't understand them : bad design, bad service !

see you and enjoy the road...

Hello,

I have to admit that I love my GC, and as well I am a little bit afraid of its reliability and VW service. It is a wonderful van, but not designed properly. I think that if they launch in the future a second version of it, more mature, it will be the perfect van to own. But so far, not so good...

One thing which happend to me : while starting the auxiliary heating system, parked, a significant quantity of smoke appeared under the van. It stopped after a 2 minutes. And since then, the heating works well, but the ventilation grill under the fridge is not working anymore (no air is getting out of it) while other ventilation gills in the car continue to work properly (hot air is getting out). It can happen of course, and it is maybe an easy fix. But as many owners, it is not my first issue neither.

But what is worse to me : my van is still under 2 years warranty until end of next week. So I contact my dealer to explain that I have a problem wich occured during the warranty period. And they replied to me that they dont have the time to observe the problem next week (even if it takes 30 seconds to confirm there is an issue with the hot air not getting out anymore from 1 ventilation grill), so they will have a look at it after the 2 years warranty end, and then I will have to pay for the repair because it will be after the warranty. I really don't understand them : bad design, bad service !

Ring VW customer service.
I wouldn’t stand for that.
Name and shame the dealer here.

Yes, I saw that.
I’m sure there’s a Belgium VW customer service number.
And they can name and shame the Belgium dealer here to forewarn the Belgium inhabitants.
Unfortunately they don't have the UK standard 3 Yr Warranty.

Unfortunately they don't have the UK standard 3 Yr Warranty.
You’re correct, they have a 2 year as the OP stated, but I’m sure there’s a VW customer service Center in Belgium. Google it and ask.
I’d be furious, they are trying to fob him off.
So as I’ve stated in my original post.

Thanks for the replies !
Indeed I will fight for my right :)

Is hot air supposed to get out of this grill under the refrigerator ?
I remember that on my previous Cali it was the case, but I never checked on the GC. Currently no hot air is getting out of this grill, but maybe it is normal...

Hello,

Email the dealer with the issue so you have a copy of when it was raised and if they will not do the work under warranty then you have proof you made them aware of issue before end of warranty and you should have legal right to get that repair done.

Is hot air supposed to get out of this grill under the refrigerator ?
I remember that on my previous Cali it was the case, but I never checked on the GC. Currently no hot air is getting out of this grill, but maybe it is normal...
This is a fridge vent isn't it? Hot air may come out of it, but it's heat from the fridge.
You can see where the heating vents go if you remove the passenger seat base and if I remember correctly none of the vent pipes go under the floor ..

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

This is a fridge vent isn't it? Hot air may come out of it, but it's heat from the fridge.
You can see where the heating vents go if you remove the passenger seat base and if I remember correctly none of the vent pipes go under the floor ..

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
Exactly correct, this is a vent for the fridge condenser, and will only blow out hot air when the fridge requires it.

Hello,

So actually the smoke on start up is standard for a diesel heater that hasn't been used for a bit= nothing wrong
Vent under fridge not working - isn't a vent so = nothing wrong

Whats the poor service you've had from VW then? apart from you wasting their time reporting faults when there is nothing wrong?

I really think you should change the title of your post to " nothing wrong with the GC but I still want to moan"

Me too, that is absurd and probably an illegal interpretation of your rights. Name and Shame them and go straight to VW customer service, then a solicitor.

like the design and service on my GC. :)

Me too, that is absurd and probably an illegal interpretation of your rights. Name and Shame them and go straight to VW customer service, then a solicitor.
Have you actually read the other posts, there is nothing wrong with his van!

So actually the smoke on start up is standard for a diesel heater that hasn't been used for a bit= nothing wrong
Vent under fridge not working - isn't a vent so = nothing wrong

Whats the poor service you've had from VW then? apart from you wasting their time reporting faults when there is nothing wrong?

I really think you should change the title of your post to " nothing wrong with the GC but I still want to moan"
Ooooooofffff Bit Harsh :oops:
Your bedside manner is horrendous :upsidedown

The Belgians have been getting quite a bashing recently.
If they deserve a bashing for anything it's their lay-by pissoir-en-plein-air etiquette. I saw 3 in the space of 2 hours traversing Belgium to get to France.

Thanks for your replies.

I still believe that VW service is poor...

I contacted them with a question about the smoke. I am a customer, not a technician. They should have told me not to worry, explain me that smoke can be normal, and that the vent under the refigerator is not used for heating, but that if it was really a problem it would be covered by the warranty. Instead they told me nothing, except that even if it was a problem, they had no time to deal with it befor end of my warranty, so it will not be covered by the warranty, which is not fair, and by the way illegal.

For poor design, I still believe that I have more issues with my Grand Calif that with my previous Calif. And it seems that many owners share this point of view. Of course I love my GC, and I think it is a tremendous car, not bad for a first attempt, but quite expensive and not that reliable. They could fix it just by improving service, but they dont.

Enjoy the road :)

The best thing the Grand California owners can do, is to discuss with other Campervan owners and let everybody know about the nightmare... Is good to keep future buyers away... I bought mine from VW Losch (Luxembourg) 18 months ago, and so far I have visited the garage more than 10 times. I have contacted the customer service in Luxembourg, the factory in Poland and the Headquarters in Germany. I have to say that they are always very kind and helpful, they really understand the issues, but unfortunately they are not capable...
I have already told them that they are not even capable to feed cows... VW technicians are good for changing oil, filters and that's all...
I gave up and I will live with that.

I’m training to work in customer relations at vw
I'd train up in football stadium refurbishment if I was in Luton. Good job for Luton that Watford made Edwards available for them. I'd like to say, see you in the Premiership next season, but I can't see that happening. Congratulations!

Back