Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bad Smell from Engine

Bellers

Bellers

VIP Member
We have a 180PS DSG, with a annoying intermittent problem. This occurs when the engine is warm, in warm weather only and noticeable when the vehicle is at a standstill. Bascially a foul smell comes in to the vehicle for a short time and light smoke can be seen coming from the engine externally. This lasts only for a couple of minutes and only very occasionally, Vindis VW Northampton could find no problem or suggest and answer, anyone come across this?

No, this isn't something I have encountered on my 180 DSG! Something must be leaking!

It's not the smell of the DPF regeneration is it - maybe if you stop during a regen?

I think it smells a bit like burnt clutch but others have described it as bad eggs.

Ask your Van Centre to have a specific look at the exhaust manifold/manifold gasket.
I had a similar problem to yours and asked my local Van Centre to investigate. They said they could not find any faults. The problem got worse over a number of years and a different Van Centre diagnosed either a manifold gasket fault or a cracked manifold. In my case it was a cracked manifold, which I was told was a known fault, although not common. I was assured that the replacement manifold has been strengthened.
Regards,
Wojtek

thanks for the suggestions, my California is booked into Vindis Van Centre tomorrow anyway, I shall get them to investigate the exhaust manifold.

Sounds like DPF re-generation. It happened to us on one occasion when the DPF was part way through the cycle, smelt like an electrical component had burnt out and as you say a lot of heat from the engine compartment. Caused one of those heart stopping moments I can tell you! Fortunately my son in law is a vehicle tech with Ford and recognised it straight away.

Does sound like it could be the DPF regenerating. If it is, there won't be any faults logged as it is essentially a normal process. You may also notice the revs increase at idle whilst this is happening as well.

cheers

Having spoken to the master tech at Vindis it would appear most likely to be the Dpf regeneration. The exhaust manifold problem he said is a well known fault on the 2.5tdi engines not on the later 2.0tdi. I am surprised however that so few people seemed to have experienced the smell from the dpf.

I was always getting this on my last car (subaru forester) never on the Cali. normally the question was asked who's dropped one :oops: NO ITs THE CAR

I get the PDF symptoms and have been trying to get to the bottom of it for some time - it seems to have no pattern but is definitely more noticable in warm weather.. Thanks for the info its put my mind at rest. :thanks

Back