Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Barn door cycle rack on a lift up tailgate

kurienp

kurienp

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Has anyone fitted a barn door cycle rack on a lift up tailgate? Don't need a full-fledged cycle rack. Planning to use one as a support for carrying some extra luggage to one side of the door so that rear visibility is not majorly compromised. Any inputs appreciated. Thanks.

Problem is that the Barn Door type bottom would 'rest' on the lower panel rather than at the sides as in tailgate one.
Probably in numberplate area?? May dint the door.

Problem is that the Barn Door type bottom would 'rest' on the lower panel rather than at the sides as in tailgate one.
Probably in numberplate area?? May dint the door.

From all pics and videos that I have reviewed, the overall door profile seems to be the same. There are people who swap their barn doors for tailgates and that also tells me that the door profile is nearly similar/same.

The video here -
- show how to fit ... and in there also it seems that the door profile should match.

1629886489971.png

I am seriously considering making myself a Guinea pig for this if no one has done it before :thumb

Barn doors, as can be seen, have the number plate on one side and the bottom support is at the bottom of the door.
There is a bar running down the centre which would partly obscure the number plate on a Tailgate which is illegal and would require a new number plate with illumination to be fitted.
Police very keen on number plate issues due to NPR cameras.

From all pics and videos that I have reviewed, the overall door profile seems to be the same. There are people who swap their barn doors for tailgates and that also tells me that the door profile is nearly similar/same.

The video here -
- show how to fit ... and in there also it seems that the door profile should match.

View attachment 83559

I am seriously considering making myself a Guinea pig for this if no one has done it before :thumb
Physically it should fit , but as @B J G has mentioned you would need an illuminated trailer board with at least Registration plate and illumination of plate, possibly a full trailer board with brake/sidelight and indicators etc.
Easily sorted if you already have trailer electrics.

What springs to mind is that a) there's not much to see out of an Ocean's rear window given the rear head restraints, the wardrobe and the drop down storage compartment, and b) it is what you put in the rack that obscures the view rather than the tailgate rack itself.....so tailgate rack loaded up on just one side might achieve your goal?

Last edited:
The fiama pro two bike full width rack may be a better bet for you. The spacing of the two rails is such that you still get a decent rear view when it’s folded up not in use. And when being used it’s only what’s on the rack that you would see.

Back