Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thule cycle rack

B

Bjohnson

VIP Member
Our Thule cycle rack arrived today. Went for a Thule Euroway 2 bike carrier.

Seems a sturdy piece of kit and pretty well put together. Have to get a number plate and the supplier forgot to send the adapter for the connection but hopefully that will arrive before the weekend when I want to use the carrier.

I did order the Atera Strada cycle rack, but turns out they were on 5 week delivery so opted for the slightly cheaper Thule.

The only (very minor) disappointment is that the Cali has such a large tailgate that the tilt function on the cycle rack doesn't allow me to get in the boot without removing the cycles and rack. I don't think the Atera rack would have achieved this either but I'm still happy with the rack.

Will post up some pics in case anyone is interested.

It will be nice to hear if others have found the same issue with this cycle rack or if the others had this issue as well.... :!: :!: :!:

Hi, I can confirm that the Atera does allow you to fully open the tailgate which was the key plus point for me when I purchased it.

I had a similar issue with my Thule tilt rack.

The lower edge of the tailgate just kisses the fixed (non tilting) section of the rack.
It's a relatively easy fix but it does invole grinding off the weld and re-welding 10mm lower.

I think Thule should offer an adjustable version?

S.

We went with the Atera Strada rack specifically because it does allow you to open the tailgate with bikes fitted to it..... even the T5s massive tailgate...

Simon

Calimark said:
Hi, I can confirm that the Atera does allow you to fully open the tailgate which was the key plus point for me when I purchased it.

Noooooooooooooooooo. :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang

That looks like a fantastic bit of kit. Thanks for putting the video up :thumb :thumb

We have a good accessories for sale section :thumb :thumb

Worth mentioning here that from what I had researched and understood, the Atera Strada DL2, the 2 bike version, does not allow you to open the tailgate, it is only the DL3 as the extra depth of the rack provides the additional rail length and clearance needed to get the tailgate up.

Also on the DL3, I've test fit a bike with fairly wide bars on the 'slot' nearest to the california and the handle bars prevent the tailgate from being opened fully, but it opens fine with the bike in the slots further from the 'van.

From a thule point of view I think it is the euroclassic G6 (928 / 929) that works with the Cali tailgate, although I'm not sure how you actually get into/at the 'boot' with the carrier in the way :)

Bjohnson said:
Calimark said:

Noooooooooooooooooo. :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang

What I recommend is next time you buy something sizeable for the Cali, do a search using the forum search engine because I had the same questions as you did when I was looking for a tow bar bike rack. You will see that there are a few threads already on the Altera product.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your Cali as much as we do...

Dibz said:
Worth mentioning here that from what I had researched and understood, the Atera Strada DL2, the 2 bike version, does not allow you to open the tailgate, it is only the DL3 as the extra depth of the rack provides the additional rail length and clearance needed to get the tailgate up.

Also on the DL3, I've test fit a bike with fairly wide bars on the 'slot' nearest to the california and the handle bars prevent the tailgate from being opened fully, but it opens fine with the bike in the slots further from the 'van.

From a thule point of view I think it is the euroclassic G6 (928 / 929) that works with the Cali tailgate, although I'm not sure how you actually get into/at the 'boot' with the carrier in the way :)

I have found that giving the rack a gentle nudge down allows the tailgate to open with my adult bikes, but failing that you can also get the allen key out and swivel the bars round.

Problem now fully resolved. Thule rack returned under 90 day returns and Atera DL3 ordered and arriving Monday

:clap :clap :clap :clap

Decided there was no point compromising what we really wanted which was to be able to load bikes and open the tailgate.

Both orders via The Roofbox Company who have been excellent.

Having just spent a week with my Thule rack I've decided there is a gap in the market for a rack that mounts on the tow bar but, instead of pivoting backwards and down, laying up to three bikes on the floor, it pivots around sideways and away from the door.

The point of this is that once the bikes are layed down on the floor it's still not ideal for access to the rear of the vehicle.

I reckon ten minutes with a pen and paper and I'll have a design.

Dragons Den anyone?

S.