Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Battery Capacity T6 vs. T6.1

D

dctrl

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Actually the T6.1 has a Max Charge funktion. I think its a booster. But with that on, you are supposed to make a full charge while driving.
I dont think Bluemotion and full charge has anything to do with each other. The T5 and T6 are only able to make a full charge while on hook-up.
After driving A lot, and camping for 10days with no hookup:
- charging while driving to 80%
- the other 20% charges automatically on ‘coasting’. Downhill in eco, no amps. Touch the brake (so the starts engine braking), up to 16amps into leisure batteries.
- max charge does several things:
* holding engine start/stop from stopping
* bit more revs when standing still
* that first 80% goes faster
* that last 20% goes forced; no free coasting energy.

I think that is supersmart!
I am asking myself if the car re-uses that 20% coasting energy at some point. One time after driving many hours, no max charge but battery 100% full, I saw -25A on panel with no such load connected, assuming the alternator can turn into motor at some point, feeded from leisure batteries when 100%.

I too have 2x 75ah. When at home, I don’t use the car in weekend, never turn off fridge (st3), never plug in. At home only short distances. Batt never gets full full, but also never empty. I e time in two weeks I plug it in.
FYI

66tim99

66tim99

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
You are right I also saw it once. And we have discussed the possibility. But again, the box is not always on. So the best solution would be a portable set of some sort.
Or you could get a tow-bar mounted box for the rear?

66tim99

66tim99

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I'm awaiting delivery of my 6.1 and I hope mine are 105's on the UK variant! Holding off ordering Solar kit for a while just to gauge off grid usage etc.
How did this pan out for you @Duetveil - did you find the batteries were adequate without solar for off grid camping? For how long?

Duetveil

Duetveil

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
How did this pan out for you @Duetveil - did you find the batteries were adequate without solar for off grid camping? For how long?
Yes found that for 2 days camping we're fine, so for our needs we've not had to fit solar. I also us the Battery "Max charge" feature on the camping screen when travelling between stopovers.