Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Battery Capacity T6 vs. T6.1

AFAIK replacing the leisure batteries in the T6.1 requires coding, but I don't know the procedure. Can it be done with VCDS?
Do you have any evidence/information regarding this. As far as I am aware only the engine battery has to be coded for proper functioning of the emissions technology.
The Camper Control system is a separate stand alone system from the vehicle control system.

Do you have any evidence/information regarding this. As far as I am aware only the engine battery has to be coded for proper functioning of the emissions technology.
The Camper Control system is a separate stand alone system from the vehicle control system.

The information is from Erwin. It says that after fitting a new leisure battery the battery monitoring control unit has to be adapted. It makes sense because in the T6.1 Ocean all of the three batteries have a sensor directly attached on the negative pole.

The information is from Erwin. It says that after fitting a new leisure battery the battery monitoring control unit has to be adapted. It makes sense because in the T6.1 Ocean all of the three batteries have a sensor directly attached on the negative pole.
The theory behind the coding of a new battery is to tell the smart charging system :
A: what type and make the battery is
B: what capacity the battery is

the theory is the smart charging system then make any necessary adjustments to the smart charging

The theory behind the coding of a new battery is to tell the smart charging system :
A: what type and make the battery is
B: what capacity the battery is

the theory is the smart charging system then make any necessary adjustments to the smart charging
So if you replace like for like then re-coding should not be required?

So if you replace like for like then re-coding should not be required?
In theory yes, however, apparently the VW smart charger accounts for battery age / detrioration / degradation During the life of the Battery and apparently changes the charging profile Accordingly, hence the “need“ to code a new battery to the vehicle (I.e so the charging profile is reset to account for a new battery, not one that has been through X number of charge cycles )

I know that VW have changed the charging profile for T6 via a factory update, presumably this was in response to lots of warranty claims for new batteries. (Particularly starter)

have a look at this :

Last edited:
In theory yes, however, apparently the VW smart charger accounts for battery age / detrioration / degradation During the life of the Battery and apparently changes the charging profile Accordingly, hence the “need“ to code a new battery to the vehicle (I.e so the charging profile is reset to account for a new battery, not one that has been through X number of charge cycles )

I know that VW have changed the charging profile for T6 via a factory update, presumably this was in response to lots of warranty claims for new batteries. (Particularly starter)

have a look at this :
I agree the Starter battery has to be coded . That’s been the case since BlueMotion technology was implemented.
That article referred to the Engine battery.
But coding the Leisure Batteries? That’s a new one. Would VCDS be able to do that?

Yes VCDS does have an option to code a second battery :

this video shows three possible scenarios, based on the type of vehicle (coding type) the last one shows the format for coding a “Second” battery

edit “ battery adaptation 2 settings

Last edited:
I agree the Starter battery has to be coded . That’s been the case since BlueMotion technology was implemented.
That article referred to the Engine battery.
But coding the Leisure Batteries? That’s a new one. Would VCDS be able to do that?
Apparently is to do with the Charging profile vs Degredation (charging profile changes during the life of a battery).

Apparently if coding is not carried out to register the “new“ battery, the life charging profile will not be adjusted & the longevity of the replacement will be compromised ! (apparently)

Last edited:
Apparently is to do with the Charging profile vs Degredation (charging profile changes during the life of a battery).

Apprently if coding is not carried out to register the “new“ battery, the life charging profile will not be adjusted & the longevity of the replacement will be compromised ! (apparently)
And I bet only VW can do the re-coding?

And I bet only VW can do the re-coding?

No VCDS can do it, see post #57 (video)
so any local mechanic with VCDS should be able to do it
I watched that video but it mentions nothing about coding for 2 Leisure Batteries and when it talks about a 2nd Battery I have my doubts it is referring to a Leisure battery as fitted in a California.
The California has a simple Split Charge relay and that’s why these batteries only charge to 80% capacity because the smart alternator is controlled to take the engine battery to 80% and basically the leisure batteries just go along for the ride.
If all 3 batteries were coded then it should be possible to switch from engine to leisure and ensure leisure reached full capacity.

Also, if the 2 nd battery VCDS coding is for Leisure Batteries which one do you code in and what happens with the 2nd Leisure battery?

I know all 3 batteries have a battery monitor attached but as far as I am aware the one on the engine battery is monitored by the BCM which controls the smart alternator etc. The two connected to the Leisure batteries are connected to the Control panel to give more definitive data on the Leisure batteries.

I watched that video but it mentions nothing about coding for 2 Leisure Batteries and when it talks about a 2nd Battery I have my doubts it is referring to a Leisure battery as fitted in a California.
The California has a simple Split Charge relay and that’s why these batteries only charge to 80% capacity because the smart alternator is controlled to take the engine battery to 80% and basically the leisure batteries just go along for the ride.
If all 3 batteries were coded then it should be possible to switch from engine to leisure and ensure leisure reached full capacity.

Also, if the 2 nd battery VCDS coding is for Leisure Batteries which one do you code in and what happens with the 2nd Leisure battery?

I know all 3 batteries have a battery monitor attached but as far as I am aware the one on the engine battery is monitored by the BCM which controls the smart alternator etc. The two connected to the Leisure batteries are connected to the Control panel to give more definitive data on the Leisure batteries.
Is that not why the second and third batteries are wired in parallel, should be identical type, should be replaced together as they are used in parallel, essentially the system would see them as one 12v cell ?

Appears one of our Forum friends has some knowledge about the coding of T6.1 leisure Batteries as indicated in post #52 above

“The information is from Erwin. It says that after fitting a new leisure battery the battery monitoring control unit has to be adapted. It makes sense because in the T6.1 Ocean all of the three batteries have a sensor directly attached on the negative pole.”

Loz

Not on the T6, as they don’t have battery monitors. But the T6.1 California does.”

presumably VCDS has been updated accordingly since the T6.1 was launched to allow coding of the leisure Bats Via VCDS.

T6 or older not required (assumed)

Is that not why the second and third batteries are wired in parallel, should be identical type, should be replaced together as they are used in parallel, essentially the system would see them as one 12v cell ?
Agree, but as you are only entering 1 set of battery data the vehicle computer would , presumably, double the amp hours as the parallel wired battery would now have 150amp/hrs capacity. So why have a battery monitor on both Leisure batteries? If treating them as one.
Maybe VCDS has been updated.

This ain’t a repeated question, so please bear with me. The ‘camping display’ on a T6 California gives a remaining battery capacity as a percentage. What does this mean in practice? Given that the leisure batteries are normally only charged to 80 percent capacity and the display seems to suggest that this is ‘100 percent’ what does it mean when it shows that it’s down to, say, 20 percent capacity? This isn’t as stupid a question as it seems. AGM batteries shouldn’t be discharged below 50 percent. Does VW regard a battery that is 50 percent discharged as zero or as 50 percent and displays the corresponding amount on the display? To put it another way, should I shut everything down (or run the engine) when the display dips below 50 percent?

This ain’t a repeated question, so please bear with me. The ‘camping display’ on a T6 California gives a remaining battery capacity as a percentage. What does this mean in practice? Given that the leisure batteries are normally only charged to 80 percent capacity and the display seems to suggest that this is ‘100 percent’ what does it mean when it shows that it’s down to, say, 20 percent capacity? This isn’t as stupid a question as it seems. AGM batteries shouldn’t be discharged below 50 percent. Does VW regard a battery that is 50 percent discharged as zero or as 50 percent and displays the corresponding amount on the display? To put it another way, should I shut everything down (or run the engine) when the display dips below 50 percent?
The % shown is a calculation based on consumption in amps and is very iffy.
Better to use the Voltage displayed which is reasonably accurate.

22E8642C-0AD6-45B9-A5A0-69E7645F722B.jpeg

Thanks. I’ll use that in future.
Also I have found that although 100% charge doesn't occur on a blue motion van, unless the seat heater is on (even on the lowest setting) or perhaps the boost function on later vans which have it, it usually seems to do much better than 80% during normal use. I guess the "regenerative" bit brings it up by a reasonable amount. I usually seem to get at least 90%.

Turn coasting off & the van will charge the battery while free wheeling.

VW have an update that changes the charging profile, since mine was done the battery levels after a trips are a lot better than before ( T6) I regularly get 12.9v after a trip, previously I would see 12.6 / 8 only

dealer didn’t know what updates had been applied when last hooked up to the mother ship, but I use a digital display to monitor stater bat health and I noticed a difference @Loz did a post some time ago regarding this (presumably someone on the T6 forum had some inside info)

A 160w Lensun portable might be what you need.

I just bought one of their 100w semi-flexible panels and the quality is excellent.

View attachment 64384
Would appreciate knowing the model number of solar panel and how you fixed it to the rails - looks neat.

I've never quite understood why VW have stuck to the old fashioned split charge relay and individual battery monitoring. As far as I know all major converters and most self-builders now use a Battery -to-Battery unit (many types and manufacturers are available) which manages the charge to the leisure battery(s) completely independently of the Bluemotion (Stop-Start) requirements of the engine side of things. A B2B unit sources its input from the vehicle 12v supply just like any other consumer on the vehicle but is able to recognise when the alternator is charging, only then does it charge the leisure batteries. However it does not just pass the current through at alternator voltage it raises that voltage and controls its output in a specific and controlled manner to suite the type of leisure battery installation, i.e. AGM, Flooded, Lithium etc.
I personally use a RING RSCDC 30 unit which incorporates an MPPT solar panel controller, I have a 100W solar panel on the roof, to keep two 120Ah leisure batteries charged. Being six years old it's not the most modern and flexible unit on the market but does what we want. Whilst my RSCDC 30 was an early version (2017) and suffered from some software problems since it has been back to RING for a software update it has worked faultlessly.
My vehicle is a 140ps T6 with Bluemotion, Stop-Start, intelligent alternator and main battery monitoring. Yes it is a CAAC engine code 140ps version without Adblue and DPF.

Back