Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Battery charging

Not quite. The terminal voltage of a fully charged Lead Acid battery at rest, i.e. the voltage measured between the two posts, while not on charge and sitting on the bench with nothing connected to it, will be 12volts DC.

The terminal voltage of 14.4 volts DC measure across the posts, is only as a result of the charger applying this voltage to charge the battery up when connected to it.

If you have zero current being measured when on charge, then the battery is fully charged, but the terminal voltage will still be 14.4 volts because the charger is connected.

It will drop to 12 volts with no current draw, once the charger has been disconnected, then you get stasis, assuming nothing is turned on.

The important thing to remember about Lead Acid batteries, which are the type fitted to most vehicles (I say that advisedly as Hybrid vehicles do have different battery systems fitted) including the Cali, is that they must be kept fully charged at all times, if they are to have a long life. The alternator will always recharge any engine battery as soon as the engine is running. In the Cali it will also top up the leisure battery too.

If you are not using your van at this time of the year, hook it up regularly.

Alan
Thanks Alan, a little clearer still

Not quite. The terminal voltage of a fully charged Lead Acid battery at rest, i.e. the voltage measured between the two posts, while not on charge and sitting on the bench with nothing connected to it, will be 12volts DC.

The terminal voltage of 14.4 volts DC measure across the posts, is only as a result of the charger applying this voltage to charge the battery up when connected to it.

If you have zero current being measured when on charge, then the battery is fully charged, but the terminal voltage will still be 14.4 volts because the charger is connected.

It will drop to 12 volts with no current draw, once the charger has been disconnected, then you get stasis, assuming nothing is turned on.

The important thing to remember about Lead Acid batteries, which are the type fitted to most vehicles (I say that advisedly as Hybrid vehicles do have different battery systems fitted) including the Cali, is that they must be kept fully charged at all times, if they are to have a long life. The alternator will always recharge any engine battery as soon as the engine is running. In the Cali it will also top up the leisure battery too.

If you are not using your van at this time of the year, hook it up regularly.

Alan
Alan

Alan, when on charge or hooked up the recommendations are to switch on the rcd then switch it off when not using the power inlet. Would it be a problem to just leave the rcd on at all times ??

Alan, when on charge or hooked up the recommendations are to switch on the rcd then switch it off when not using the power inlet. Would it be a problem to just leave the rcd on at all times ??

Hi Patrick,

I can see no reason to pull out the stuff on the bottom shelf to turn this on and off and so leave ours on all of the time.

The RCD does not function as a safety device until the power is applied, so is inoperative the rest of the time.

Get to the wine sooner and leave it on :)

Alan