Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

CTEK connect loom and engine battery

CannonDale

CannonDale

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi guys, I have searched for this but can't find the answer. My CTEK charger includes a loom to permanently connect to the + and - of the battery. I have charged the battery with the crock clips and done as the manual says, connect earth to engine block. For charging and maintenance is it ok to use the permanent loom direct to the battery?

No, always avoid connecting to the battery negative otherwise you will bypass the battery monitor. Find a suitable bolt in the chassis near the battery and use that for the negative.

Hi guys, I have searched for this but can't find the answer. My CTEK charger includes a loom to permanently connect to the + and - of the battery. I have charged the battery with the crock clips and done as the manual says, connect earth to engine block. For charging and maintenance is it ok to use the permanent loom direct to the battery?
Why? Do you not have the Mains socket and hence Charger on your vehicle. This charger will charge the Leisure Battery and Trickle Charge the Engine Battery.
You would only need the Ctek charger if the Engine Battery is TOTALLY flat.

No, always avoid connecting to the battery negative otherwise you will bypass the battery monitor. Find a suitable bolt in the chassis near the battery and use that for the negative.

Many thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Why? Do you not have the Mains socket and hence Charger on your vehicle. This charger will charge the Leisure Battery and Trickle Charge the Engine Battery.
You would only need the Ctek charger if the Engine Battery is TOTALLY flat.
I used the CTEK because the battery was flat. Does the leisure battery delicately charge engine battery when on hook up. Mine is a T6

I used the CTEK because the battery was flat. Does the leisure battery delicately charge engine battery when on hook up. Mine is a T6
The Mains Charger, which is part of the Mains Package, Chargers the Leisure and trickle charges the Engine Battery when on Hook-Up ONLY.

How did your engine battery get flattened?

The Mains Charger, which is part of the Mains Package, Chargers the Leisure and trickle charges the Engine Battery when on Hook-Up ONLY.

How did your engine battery get flattened?
I had not used the van for about 4 weeks and it was also over the cold period that we had. I usually connect to mains once a week to keep leisure bat charged.

I had not used the van for about 4 weeks and it was also over the cold period that we had. I usually connect to mains once a week to keep leisure bat charged.
That’s not right. I’ve left ours for 4 weeks at a time with absolutely no problems. Last time was from Christmas Day for 4 weeks when we were in Australia. Left out in the open at Heathrow Long Stay. Covered in Ice on our return but started 1st turn of the key.

That’s not right. I’ve left ours for 4 weeks at a time with absolutely no problems. Last time was from Christmas Day for 4 weeks when we were in Australia. Left out in the open at Heathrow Long Stay. Covered in Ice on our return but started 1st turn of the key.
I had been in and out of it loads of times, lights going on and off, locks etc. I have left it for six weeks before with no issue but this time!!. Thanks for your help

I had been in and out of it loads of times, lights going on and off, locks etc. I have left it for six weeks before with no issue but this time!!. Thanks for your help
Ahh. I see. Sorry for all the questions.:thumb

Back