Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Battery maintenance during the lock down

Neilos

Neilos

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi all, looking for some advice on maintaining engine starter batteries for our Beach and also other car.

I was thinking given the lock down I should get a battery trickle charger.

Is it ok to use one of the cigar lighter adapters to charge the starter battery for the van and also my golf?

I can’t get either under cover so don’t want to leave the bonnet open when charging.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Cali batts can be kept in condition by plugging in the hookup cable every week or two for a few hours. On mine (a 2015 T5 SE) it trickle charges the main vehicle battery as well as the leisures, so I assume it would on a Beach also.

For cars, I have for quite a while used CTEK battery conditioner chargers for my classic cars which can be off the road for long periods, and I find them absolutely great. They are not cheap but it looks like Amazon has some in stock.

The CTEK chargers have the option of plugging into a 'cigar lighter' socket (I love it that some people still call them that!), and I assume that's fine with any trickle charger - although NOT of course for a starter-boost as it would burn out the wiring in an instant.

[EDIT] Note that if you buy a CTEK then 12v socket ('cigar lighter') plug isn't included, you have to order it separately. And the CTEKs I use are the MXS 5.0 model which I think is the most popular one.

Maybe @Loz or another auto-sparks on here can confirm all that.

Last edited:
Hi all, looking for some advice on maintaining engine starter batteries for our Beach and also other car.

I was thinking given the lock down I should get a battery trickle charger.

Is it ok to use one of the cigar lighter adapters to charge the starter battery for the van and also my golf?

I can’t get either under cover so don’t want to leave the bonnet open when charging.

Thanks!

I've just purchased a Victron Automotive IP65 12/4 charger for my Beach. It comes with battery clamps, eyelets and cigar lighter adapters. Works extremely well and has automated modes for battery maintenance. Costs about £40.

Thanks both, I tested my beach last week. On hook up I get 13+V on the leisure circuit. But the 12V socket on the dash lower part voltage remains as 12V. So I deduce from this that my starter battery is not charged on hook up. Interestingly the 12v socket on top of the dash in the tray area (I have the uncomfortable version) does show 13+V on hook up. Slightly bizarre!

I bought the charger because the starter battery was at 12.06v! The top 12v socket is connected to the leisure battery. The lower dash is connected to the starter. I just plug into this socket for charging. Overnight trickle charge brought the resting voltage to 12.6 which is roughly 80%.

On our Beach I've connected the EHU and I intend to let it get on with it over the next few weeks. As Velma's Dad has said the EHU charges the leisure battery/batteries and once they are fully topped up it will slowly charge the vehicle battery as well. So a long period on charge should see all the batteries OK.

Don't forget to run the parking heater once a month.

On our Beach I've connected the EHU and I intend to let it get on with it over the next few weeks. As Velma's Dad has said the EHU charges the leisure battery/batteries and once they are fully topped up it will slowly charge the vehicle battery as well. So a long period on charge should see all the batteries OK.

Don't forget to run the parking heater once a month.

Hi Borris, do you think I just need to let it charge for longer to see the starter battery voltage circuit increase? You have a new T6 beach which should be the same as my 68plate beach in theory. I can’t see any change in voltage on the starter battery circuit on EHU so far...

Hi Borris, do you think I just need to let it charge for longer to see the starter battery voltage circuit increase? You have a new T6 beach which should be the same as my 68plate beach in theory. I can’t see any change in voltage on the starter battery circuit on EHU so far...

Yes. Just plug it in and let it do it's thing. It should start charging the engine battery once the leisure battery is fully charged. Leaving it on EHU for a long period won't do any harm.

This was one of the reasons I invested in a solar panel. The batteries will always be kept in optimal condition and I don't need to worry about it.

@Nelios - I'd certainly recommend it

1586266401535.png

I've been using the van as my "office" for a few weeks now and use the sun to charge all my kit too.

Lets hope the sun keeps shining.

This was one of the reasons I invested in a solar panel. The batteries will always be kept in optimal condition and I don't need to worry about it.

View attachment 57130

I've been using the van as my "office" for a few weeks now and use the sun to charge all my kit too.

I also have solar but that's just for the leisure battery. It doesn't charge the starter battery so I require a different solution.

View attachment 57130

I agree. My previous mobile residence was fitted with a 160W solar panel from my date of purchase, feeding 2nr 120Ah leisure batteries and the starter battery. With a 2000W inverter there were no complaints on the hair drying front Never did try to boil a kettle. Although it didn't have many periods of prolonged inactivity, I never had any problems with batteries in 15 years of ownership, only the replacement of the starter battery after nine years with a dead cell.
When I bought this camper, I initially enquired about a solar panel, but was persuaded to wait and see. Given the cost of some installations, I thought that was good advice. However, I think I am now looking at my preferred option if someone can answer three questions:
1. Does my starter battery charge with the leisure batteries? (I think it does)
2. Is there really an inverter 240V socket (the manual says yes) and if so what sort of capability does the inverter have?
3.Should I resurrect all of my old 12V kit from the days of my Merc Bariban?
It's a 2013 (14 model) California 180 DSG

2. Is there really an inverter 240V socket (the manual says yes) and if so what sort of capability does the inverter have?

I have your model (a T5 SE, mine is 2015) and yes there is a 240v inverter socket, in the pillar just behind the passenger seat. I think from memory it is good for up to 1500W. You need a 'lozenge' shaped 2 pin plug like the Swiss type. I found one and wired it to a two-gang 240v UK type trailing socket.

Having said that I've hardly ever used it!

[QUOTE.] I think from memory it is good for up to 1500 w [/QUOTE]
I may be wrong , that inverter socket is good for 150 W

Hi Mike

I have recently had my starter battery replaced under warranty (under two years old) I hook up the EHU once per month. 2018 Beach.
The dealer checked everything before replacing the battery, but I assume they have not / did not check the EHU side of things.

I have taken readings from the starter battery whilst on hook up and when the leisure battery appear to be fully charged. The starter Battery does not seem to be getting a charge from EHU under any circumstances

Today, I checked the starter battery which read 12.38v despite the vehicle being on hook up for the last week. I do not think that the starter battery is being charged by EHU on my Beach.
It is currently connected to a smart charger receiving a full charge.
Do not assume the starter battery is being charged whilst on EHU, check it with a volt meter.

There appears to be differences between some Beaches being able to charge the starter battery from EHU

Better safe than sorry, check the state of the battery and charge if required

Whilst on smart charge direct to the starter battery the dash socket is showing 13.7 volts, I does not do this on hook up. (Volt meter to the starter battery whilst charging confirms this also

Hi Mike

I have recently had my starter battery replaced under warranty (under two years old) I hook up the EHU once per month. 2018 Beach.
The dealer checked everything before replacing the battery, but I assume they have not / did not check the EHU side of things.

I have taken readings from the starter battery whilst on hook up and when the leisure battery appear to be fully charged. The starter Battery does not seem to be getting a charge from EHU under any circumstances

Today, I checked the starter battery which read 12.38v despite the vehicle being on hook up for the last week. I do not think that the starter battery is being charged by EHU on my Beach.
It is currently connected to a smart charger receiving a full charge.
Do not assume the starter battery is being charged whilst on EHU, check it with a volt meter.

There appears to be differences between some Beaches being able to charge the starter battery from EHU

Better safe than sorry, check the state of the battery and charge if required

Whilst on smart charge direct to the starter battery the dash socket is showing 13.7 volts, I does not do this on hook up. (Volt meter to the starter battery whilst charging confirms this also
I have a Victron Smartshunt fitted and I also agree that my Beach (Bluemotion/Smart Alternator) on EHU doesn't charge the starter battery.

View attachment 57130

Great idea but I’m trying to justify the cost bearing in mind the £400 plus of the kit versus just plugging in and topping up which is inexpensive.

Great idea but I’m trying to justify the cost bearing in mind the £400 plus of the kit versus just plugging in and topping up which is inexpensive.
When we get out on the road again, you may want to visit places where plugging in and topping up is not an option?

I connect to EHU on my 67 beach for 48hours voltage at start on leisure was 12.4v and starter 11.2. After the 48 hours the leisure was on 13.5 and starter on 11.7. So as you can see not a great amount of charge to the starter battery.

I also have solar but that's just for the leisure battery. It doesn't charge the starter battery so I require a different solution.
You could make a balance cable. This works with solar and charges all the batteries.20200407_125332.jpg20200407_125332.jpg20200407_125350.jpg

I connect to EHU on my 67 beach for 48hours voltage at start on leisure was 12.4v and starter 11.2. After the 48 hours the leisure was on 13.5 and starter on 11.7. So as you can see not a great amount of charge to the starter battery.
Perhaps you should leave it on charge for longer. My 2019 Beach has been on charge for days now and when I checked today the leisure battery was reading 13.5v and the vehicle one was 12.9v. I've left it on charge as it won't do it any harm. :thumb

Back