Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Battery under seat

John

John

VIP Member
Orginally posted by Calikev

How do I get to the battery under the seat is there a technique or do I have to remove
The passenger seat?I can't even get the rubber cover off.

Originally Posted by andy

I looked at mine earlier. I did not actually remove the cover but should be able to if you push the seat fully forward, then rotate 90 degrees, the cover at the back of the seat base will pull of. You should now be able to wriggle the cover off by grabbing it from top & the back.
Maybe a real pig to get back on, that's why I did not

Originally posted by Calikev

Cheers mate I did only try with the seat facing forward.I will try tomorrow with the seat
Swivelled

Hello all. Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom as to the best method for getting at the leisure battery under the passenger seat? I want to get a multi meter on it to see how healthy (or otherwise) it is.

As per the OP above, the rubber cover looks like a bugger to get off (and probably impossible) to get back on without removing the seat. If it is a case of removing the seat to do the best job, has anyone done so and can advise on how this is best done?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I have cut two flaps into my rubber cover in order to attach a microwave directly to the battery. Micro in under the sink.

Perhaps do that ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Removing the seat is easy. To be savsafe remove the positive terminal from the engine battery to avoid getting air bag warning lights.

The seat is held in with 4 X 13 mm nuts. The rear two you can undo by slide get the sear forward and then remove with a socket set.

To remove the front ones slide the seat back and the undo the front bolts, I had to use an old fashioned spanner for these as I couldn't fit a socket in.

Once the nuts are undone you can lean the seat back to undo the airbag and heating wires.

Then lift the seat into the camping area :)

Thanks. I've seen said bolts but assumed that there would be more to it. We're off camping in a couple of hours so I'll save it as a job for next week!

Watch out for the weight of the seat! You don't want to drop it and damage the base like my dealer did! Twice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You need to disconnect the airbag cable, don't turn ignition on with it disconnected as you will then get an airbag error light on which needs VCDS to switch off.

I am looking at connecting up a solar panel with controller Is the passenger battery the best option or would it be easier to connect to the rear battery?
I dont fancy removing the seat. I may be tempted to cut slits in the rubber battery cover though.20200302_153415.jpg

I am looking at connecting up a solar panel with controller Is the passenger battery the best option or would it be easier to connect to the rear battery?
I dont fancy removing the seat. I may be tempted to cut slits in the rubber battery cover though.View attachment 55918
Rear Battery and controller in Wardrobe.
Tip
When removing Rear Battery there is no need to undo battery cables in situ. The cables are long enough to remove battery while still connected.
After the clamp holding the battery in place is removed, use a broad paint scrapper or something similar to lift the battery up and over the lip. You’ll see what I mean when you remove the cover.
Also, if you tie a strap or some rope around the battery when you replace it then it’s easier next time.

You don't need to remove the seat - when I was checking the battery on mine I removed the 4 bolts holding the rail to the base and tipped it forward (as you would do in a 3 door car to access the rear) checking that the cables underneath were not put under tension. I did it myself but ideally a second person would make matters easier. Thereafter the battery access is a doddle...

You don't need to remove the seat - when I was checking the battery on mine I removed the 4 bolts holding the rail to the base and tipped it forward (as you would do in a 3 door car to access the rear) checking that the cables underneath were not put under tension. I did it myself but ideally a second person would make matters easier. Thereafter the battery access is a doddle...
Just want to say thank you for posting this advice - this worked a treat for me yesterday to install a battery monitor.