Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Airbag warning after installing new battery

K-Rog

K-Rog

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi all, does anyone know if it is common when changing your leisure battery (under the passenger seat) that you get an message “error airbags” on the dashboard when you switch the engine on? If so how do you make sure it’s ok because I’m confident I didn’t disconnect any wires under the seat?
many thanks x

Hi all, does anyone know if it is common when changing your leisure battery (under the passenger seat) that you get an message “error airbags” on the dashboard when you switch the engine on? If so how do you make sure it’s ok because I’m confident I didn’t disconnect any wires under the seat?
many thanks x

I believe this can happen when there is movement in the wiring loom under the seat. A reset with Carista or similar diagnostic tool should confirm it.

Mike

I believe this can happen when there is movement in the wiring loom under the seat. A reset with Carista or similar diagnostic tool should confirm it. I had similar on my sons Touran and reset it with no problem.

Mike

Mike

Thanks. A yellow wire seems a to have been disconnected, we were replacing the battery so had to move the seats so that may have done it. Now that it has been reconnected do you think the airbags will work? We will go to a dealer ASAP to get it checked though but due to be going away tomorrow!

Thanks. A yellow wire seems a to have been disconnected, we were replacing the battery so had to move the seats so that may have done it. Now that it has been reconnected do you think the airbags will work? We will go to a dealer ASAP to get it checked though but due to be going away tomorrow!
If the Dashboard Airbag light is On, then I believe they are Disabled. However, I’m not sure if that means if All are disabled or just the one that threw up the fault.

I’m not sure which vehicle you have as you have no details under your Avatar.
If you want it fixed quickly phone your Breakdown Company as they can reset the fault with their Diagnostic Computer. Just tell them the light has come on after moving the seat, your due to go away and is it safe to drive?
They reset the warning and if it’s not fixed it will come back as soon as the Ignition is switched On.
The Dealership will probably charge you £80 for doing the same.

The Dealership will probably charge you £80 for doing the same
I think I shared a photo from a VW van centre (18 mths ago?) showing their minimum diagnostic charge was £125+vat, which makes the breakdown company an even better bit of advice from WG.

If the Dashboard Airbag light is On, then I believe they are Disabled.
That was my understanding when we had a light on our T5 - I was worried that it would set off the airbag but on speaking to the dealer was told if the light was on airbags will not activate.

many thanks x
The trick is not to turn on the ignition while the airbag is disconnected.

just buy yourself a Carista and reset it.

Any member on here with VCDS may be willing to re-set it for you.

If you fancy a ride to Telford I will do it, no charge.

Back