Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach - CTEK power via leisure battery

Elmo3

Elmo3

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Our 2009 Beach has a single leisure battery but no external electric hook up. It has a kitchen pod which we want to keep and when the tap is required, you have to plug in to the 12V socket on the front seat base (not really a problem). We’ll want to run a decent 12V fridge as well. Can I simply connect a CTEK charger to the leisure battery and plug this in via a hook up cable and 3 pin plug camping adapter when hook up is available on sites? I was thinking a twin adapter could hook up the CTEK which indirectly runs the fridge / lights / water pump (and keeps the battery charged) and connect a portable heater to the other 13A socket. I’m thinking an MXS 7 or 10 which I believe have a power supply mode. Would this (safely) work?

Thanks. Any particular tips? I’ve seen the thread about connecting the fridge directly to the battery so could do this at the same time as connecting fly leads for the CTEK for easy connection. I could also directly connect the pod for neatness. Presumably I’m best using Anderson leads / connectors with in line fuses?

I have a feeling the leisure battery has seen better days but will do a recon with the CTEK first and see how it does. I lifted the rubber cover to get a picture. Is this the optimum battery or any suggestions for a better replacement? Thanks for the advice / sanity check!

455B2E5D-6D19-4E93-889E-62342EBD3FE9.jpeg

Thanks. Any particular tips? I’ve seen the thread about connecting the fridge directly to the battery so could do this at the same time as connecting fly leads for the CTEK for easy connection. I could also directly connect the pod for neatness. Presumably I’m best using Anderson leads / connectors with in line fuses?

I have a feeling the leisure battery has seen better days but will do a recon with the CTEK first and see how it does. I lifted the rubber cover to get a picture. Is this the optimum battery or any suggestions for a better replacement? Thanks for the advice / sanity check!

View attachment 64636
That's the battery fitted by VW as standard in the Beach and Ocean, Varta LA80. You can fit any battery of the same dimensions. There aren't that many to choose from.
Anderson connectors and in line fuses would be a good choice.

View attachment 64636
Please read on the CTEK manual, if I remember correct you cannot do a Recond on a AGM. If I were you I would run everything from the battery and let the CTEK costantly recharge the battery.

That's the battery fitted by VW as standard in the Beach and Ocean, Varta LA80. You can fit any battery of the same dimensions. There aren't that many to choose from.
Anderson connectors and in line fuses would be a good choice.

Thanks. This could even be the original battery, so 11 years old. I don’t think it’s AGM?

Our 2009 Beach has a single leisure battery but no external electric hook up. It has a kitchen pod which we want to keep and when the tap is required, you have to plug in to the 12V socket on the front seat base (not really a problem). We’ll want to run a decent 12V fridge as well. Can I simply connect a CTEK charger to the leisure battery and plug this in via a hook up cable and 3 pin plug camping adapter when hook up is available on sites? I was thinking a twin adapter could hook up the CTEK which indirectly runs the fridge / lights / water pump (and keeps the battery charged) and connect a portable heater to the other 13A socket. I’m thinking an MXS 7 or 10 which I believe have a power supply mode. Would this (safely) work?

Yes.

Can recommend the intelligent charger from Rayne Automotive (approx £50). Can be set for 3 different battery types (Wet, AGM & the other one!) & different charge rates.

You can also get an adapter for the battery charger so you can charge via the cigarette lighter socket :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073RWT934/?tag=eliteelect-21

We have a 2012 Beach (top dash socket is to leisure battery, dash cupholder socket is main battery.),

Its worth getting a 240V hookup fitted as makes life easier & cuts down on cables etc when at campsites, roughly £300 including fitting.

I did this a few years ago when i was Club Beach.
Run the cooler/fridge off the leisure, use the CTEK to charge the leisure battery.
Have a look:thumb

I did this a few years ago when i was Club Beach.
Run the cooler/fridge off the leisure, use the CTEK to charge the leisure battery.
Have a look:thumb

That looks great work, a bit more than I was thinking of although like the idea of plugging in the hook up under the bonnet. How did you get the cable through into the cabin?

Quick (probably very stupid) question. I’ve bought a CTEK MSX10. I’m going to wire the fridge and kitchen pod directly to the leisure battery and include in-line fuses. When I’m on site with hook up and the CTEK is charging the leisure battery, will the 10A charge on the battery blow fuses of lesser value?

Very unlikely. Current is "pulled" , not "pushed". The fridge will only pull what it needs, which is less than 2A.
The battery will "pull" 10A from the charger, but it won't "push" 10A into the fridge.

Quick (probably very stupid) question. I’ve bought a CTEK MSX10. I’m going to wire the fridge and kitchen pod directly to the leisure battery and include in-line fuses. When I’m on site with hook up and the CTEK is charging the leisure battery, will the 10A charge on the battery blow fuses of lesser value?
No.
The Charger is charging the Leisure Battery, not the items connected to the Leisure Battery and the 10 amps is the maximum the charger can provide to the Leisure Battery and it will probably only rise to that level if the battery is very depleted or the items connected to the Leisure Battery are taking more than 10 amps in combination.

No, think of it like plugging something into the socket at home at home (ie - you put 13a, 5a, 3a plugs into same socket, but your home fuseboard supplies more than 13A) . The fuse rating on your vans inline fuse only applies to the appliance that's plugged into it.

Many thanks. I was concerned that as the charger and fridge will both be connected to the same battery terminals, it would be problematic.

The leisure battery wasn‘t holding charge even for internal lights and is shot (think it’s the original 2009 vintage). The dealer is kindly sending me a new Varta LA80 dual purpose AGM leisure battery, so I can install this and the wiring for the CTEK, fridge and kitchen pod at the same time.

you can also set the MXS 10 to be a direct constant feed to the fridge or other 12v appliances.

you can also set the MXS 10 to be a direct constant feed to the fridge or other 12v appliances.

Yes, I noticed that, think it’s a power supply mode which basically gives a float charge. It was one of the reasons I didn’t go for the MXS 5 which doesn’t have this facility. Should be very useful when on hook up.

Yes, I noticed that, think it’s a power supply mode which basically gives a float charge. It was one of the reasons I didn’t go for the MXS 5 which doesn’t have this facility. Should be very useful when on hook up.
Yes it is a power supply. It is useful to get a cable with a Ctek connector on one side and a cigarette socket on the other side.

You could use one of these fuseboxes for your fridge & pod (but still connect the charger direct to battery) , all your fuses will then accessible & very easy to add any additional 12v feeds in future without having to remove the seat: