Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to maintain all 3 batteries

Scapa

Scapa

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Hi

I have read through the threads about maintaining the batteries but I'm still a bit unsure, as there are a number of contradictory statements. Just wondered if if some of our more experienced members had the definitive advice on this. Our Cali is some months away from delivery yet so can't test these things out for myself.

Firstly most suggest that the facelift Cali Se when hooked up to mains will now charge all three batteries (both leisure and engine starter batt), however someone counters this by saying his dealership rep advised this was a print mistake in the Cali supplement and it still only charges the 2 leisure batteries, indeed he gives example that he flattened his engine battery (on facelift) while playing radio a lot but while on hookup. Anybody know which version is accurate? Does mains hook up charge all 3 or just both leisure batteries?

The second area I would appreciate advice on is, normally mains hook up doesn't fully charge the battery as well as say a smart charger like Ctek. When. I had a caravan I would connect the ctek occasionally to the leisure battery to top it up. In my car I would plug the Ctek in via an 'open' 12volt accessory socket. By 'open' I mean it remains active for use with ignition off. Normally the one on the front console will be off or inactive with ignition off but accessory sockets at the back are often left active (for cool boxes etc). Ctek has to plug into an active socket, so my question is do Cali 12 volt accessory sockets remain 'open' or active? And of course would charging through one of these reach all 3 batteries or just both leisure batteries.

Cheers scapa

I was also told by a dealer that hook up would make no difference to the starter battery on a facelift cali I proved them wrong by testing the difference in voltage whilst plugged in.what you have to be aware of is that on hook up it will trickle charge the van battery but will not charge it if it gets too low. I can only presume the radio takes out more than is being trickled in.if I'm not
Using the van for a few weeks I hook up to keep it topped up.it does say somewhere in the manual to charge the leisure batteries about once a month. I find that plugging it into the mains gives a much better charge than
The alternator.

Thanks Calikev

A few folks have mentioned noticing a small current increase on the engine battery when on mains hookup, it just that a few others had been told their dealership reps were adamant it didn't get a charge. I will work on the basis our new Cali when it arrives can charge all 3 batteries when left on hook up for a few days.

Re my second question You don't happen to have noticed by any chance if any of the 12 volt accessory sockets remain active after ignition switched off (its handy to know in case I needed to plug in Ctek to rescue battery)

Scapa

Yes all my 12v sockets are live when the ignition is off as I watch the iPad at night in the back
And charge my phone in the front with keys out of the ignition :thumb

I thought the same as you regarding not charging the starter battery, even went and purchased a 12v lead for our ctek charger (the one with the three led display) to let me know the charge of the starter battery at any given time. What I found out was the plug in mains lead will defiantly charge the two leisure battery's and the starter battery and this is on a May 2007 California.

Scapa said:
Re my second question You don't happen to have noticed by any chance if any of the 12 volt accessory sockets remain active after ignition switched off (its handy to know in case I needed to plug in Ctek to rescue battery)

Scapa

I regularly use a CTEK charger on the leisure batteries, all the rear accessory sockets are permanently live and fed from the leisure batteries only.

As such, the CTEK won't be connected to the starter battery.

Don't connect the CTEK whilst on mains hook up however, as it'll get confused by the voltage from the built in trickle charger. (No ideas what this would actually do, but I wouldn't risk it) It's a shame as it means I need to run mains in through an open window/door for the CTEK.

Rgds
M

In our 2008 Cali the starter battery is also charged when hooked up. But we have had issues with it...

There is a diode between the leisure and starter systems, that lets the starter battery be charged when on mains, but will prevent the starter battery emptying itself 'helping out' the leisure circuit when the voltage there gets below the starter battery's level.

Now, a certain series of Calis have been delivered with the diode fitted the wrong way round... ! :headbang Including ours. Leading to a situation where the starter battery could not be charged (current blocked by the diode), but would happily 'help' the leisure circuit! So we have had experiences of an unexpected empty starter battery as well, when we thought we were safe...
Such experience may have led people to think the starter batteries were not supposed to be charged when on mains, but they are!

Now we have changed the diode round, and everything works fine. Never had an empty starter battery since! The whole diode issue is well described in a thread on the German T5-board. In Germany it eventually led to a field recall action, even!

Just for info, I use a ctek on the cab accessory socket (in cup holder drawer) which is always live for me (on a 2011 SE)