Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach multi flex board position

Neilos

Neilos

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi all, sorry as usual if this has been discussed before. I’ve had a search about and couldn’t see an answer. Question is- I find we end up sliding the MFB back and forth when switching from driving mode to Camping mode and back again. From reading discussions on here, I gather that others do not do this and leave the MFB in the rear bed position. I tried that and gave up, it seems to make the boot packing much harder., we have the ‘comfort’ mattress on top of the board. I’ve read @Amarillo’s posts and subsequently we now leave the 3 seat bench in the position to make the bed and find that works well for kids in the back and fridge strapped to the tie down points. Am I missing something here? The MFD is not the easiest thing to slide sometimes. Cheers, 4 months in and loving the Beach!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all, sorry as usual if this has been discussed before. I’ve had a search about and couldn’t see an answer. Question is- I find we end up sliding the MFB back and forth when switching from driving mode to Camping mode and back again. From reading discussions on here, I gather that others do not do this and leave the MFB in the rear bed position. I tried that and gave up, it seems to make the boot packing much harder., we have the ‘comfort’ mattress on top of the board. I’ve read @Amarillo’s posts and subsequently we now leave the 3 seat bench in the position to make the bed and find that works well for kids in the back and fridge strapped to the tie down points. Am I missing something here? The MFD is not the easiest thing to slide sometimes. Cheers, 4 months in and loving the Beach!

We spent a full year of camping sliding the MFB backwards and forwards. I’m relieved to have now found a different and completely satisfactory solution.

That does not mean I never move the MFB, but only now its movement is about as frequent as removing or replacing the two extra seats.

I move the multiflex as I pack bikes under and between the mfd and rear door. It is a pain though.

Thanks both maybe I’m not the only one sliding that thing back and forth then. Worst bit is when you’ve been to the beach and the sand on the rails. I get a bit OCD with the sweeping out then!

I've only ever moved the MFB once to clean out the rails, otherwise it stays in place, with board folded up in 'bed position' if we are going away. We have a series of 6 (or so) big tupperware boxes (£6 each from Asda, 80cmx40x18) that we simply slide into the boot space and out and under the van at the campiste end. We do have to pack stuff on top of these, bags of clothes, sleeping bags, pillows etc but these make things very easy. When home we simply store them all 'ready to go' in our garage for the next trip. The mattress sits ready to unfold on the back of the MFB, often with the pillows, soft items wedged on top between there and the roof of the van.

I've only ever moved the MFB once to clean out the rails, otherwise it stays in place, with board folded up in 'bed position' if we are going away. We have a series of 6 (or so) big tupperware boxes (£6 each from Asda, 80cmx40x18) that we simply slide into the boot space and out and under the van at the campiste end. We do have to pack stuff on top of these, bags of clothes, sleeping bags, pillows etc but these make things very easy. When home we simply store them all 'ready to go' in our garage for the next trip. The mattress sits ready to unfold on the back of the MFB, often with the pillows, soft items wedged on top between there and the roof of the van.

Do you have a 2 seat bench Beach? If so, the MFB is very different on your van to the 3 seat bench Beach.

Do you have a 2 seat bench Beach? If so, the MFB is very different on your van to the 3 seat bench Beach.
Nope, we have a 2017 plate 3 seat bench Beach. We tend to leave bench seat forward in position to recline to make bed, and have a large 45 ltr fridge that we put in van behind passenger seat (only have two kids though). All works like a dream!

I pencil marked where it needs to be on the rails which speeds things up somewhat

We spent a full year of camping sliding the MFB backwards and forwards. I’m relieved to have now found a different and completely satisfactory solution.

That does not mean I never move the MFB, but only now its movement is about as frequent as removing or replacing the two extra seats.
What is the different and completely satisfactory solution you mentioned (but didn’t expand upon)Amarillo? Thanks ian

What is the different and completely satisfactory solution you mentioned (but didn’t expand upon)Amarillo? Thanks ian
We spent a year as a family of four plus dog travelling around Europe and needed every cubic inch of boot space. We moved the bench seat as far forward as we could, pushed the MFB up against the bench seat back and packed.

During the frequent packing and unpacking, moving the MFB back and forth I dreamed of ways to make packing easier. On our return home I made plywood crates to fit against the back of the bench seat, and trays to lay on top of the crates, finally a plywood board to sit on top of the trays. This is the result:

IMG_2082.JPG

IMG_2090.JPG

The bench is left on the rails at the position to lower it into the bed.

All I need to unpack is that which is above the MFB and MFB extension (plywood board), the plywood board and the two trays.

Each plywood crate, which can remain in the boot with the bed made up, is sufficiently large to take up to 30 bottles of wine.

The extended MFB is just big enough for two small children.

IMG_2093.JPG

I never move the multiflex in our seven seat Beach. It's positioned so that the rear end of both multiflex foot rails partially cover the rear chrome securing eyes on the outer two floor rails. Then I leave it alone.

Me also Boris. 7 seat Beach. Hardly ever move the multiflex unless I need space for something big- like a washing machine .

Back